Possible NBC Sports Chicago dispute (DirecTV/AT&T TV Now/U-Verse TV)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by techguy88, Sep 18, 2019.

1. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Deal expires on 9/30/19 with channel being dropped by 10/1/19 if a new deal isn't reached please see this thread for more info.

2. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    They want more with the loss of the cubs???

Time to start calling Jerry Reinsdorf and Rocky Wirtz

3. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    Yea, watching ball game last night and the scrolling banner.....Like your losing 25% of live sports programming and you want more money?....How about a 25% cut?

4. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Who says they want more? They might want the same or even be willing to settle for less. But Dish/AT&T might want them pay them even less than that. Disputes don't always have to be about how much more money the network wants, though they usually are.

5. zippyfrog

zippyfrog Mentor

Jul 14, 2010
    They are also picking up the 35 Bulls games, 55 White Sox Games and 20ish Blackhawks games that WGN used to have, so now NBC Sports Chicago will have more live professional games than ever even with the loss of the Cubs.

6. JoeTheDragon

Jul 21, 2008
    The Blackhawks should teamed up with the cubs on the new channel.

7. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Now, WHP TV (Harrisburg) is now also running a scroll that ATT/DirecTV may drop in on 27 Sept due to a carriage dispute. Sinclair is the owner.

8. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I saw a crawl about AT&T maybe dropping the channel on 9/27. I am pretty sure it was on ESPN, but it is possible it was my local Sinclair (CBS) station. Thought it was funny since I don't have Directv at home, I have Mediacom :D

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    ESPN's crawl (when active) was specific to AT&T/DIRECTV's feeds. Other companies got a clean, nag free edition of the programming. It was probably your local CBS. I have a Sinclair local that I can check later.

My local CBS/Fox Affliliate (WSBT 22 South Bend) has the following story on their website:
    Don't lose WSBT 22 and FOX Michiana on Direct TV and U-Verse

10. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    NBC Sports Chicago deadline reminder current agreement with AT&T (DirecTV/U-Verse TV/AT&T TV Now) and Dish (Dish/Sling TV) expires on September 30, 2019 and if no agreement/extension is reached could be dropped on October 1, 2019

Current status
    AT&T:
    TVPromise.com will display a message based on zip code for affected customers based on service.
    "As NBC Sports Chicago has publicly stated, our distribution agreement with them expires at the end of this month. We are currently negotiating a renewal and hope to prevent any interruption to any games some of our customers may care about. We remain on the side of consumer choice and value, and our negotiations reflect that. Consumers have made clear they want more choice over the channels they pay to receive in their homes. Our goal is to offer Blackhawks and Bulls games to anyone who wants them most at a value that makes sense to our customers overall. We cannot agree to exorbitant deals that do a disservice to our customers, especially when the Cubs are now launching another expensive network on their own. We appreciate our customers’ patience while we work this out."

Dish: Similar message on DishPromise.com
    "We are still in negotiations and do not understand why NBC Sports Chicago has chosen to involve our customers at this time. DISH's goal is to keep NBC Sports Chicago available to our customers at a reasonable cost. Periodically, DISH and its channel owners negotiate deals so that we may offer you high-quality content at a fair value. We are working to not only reach an agreement, but a long-term agreement for our customers."

NBC Sports Chicago: This is where things get a bit different. Previously MySportsChicago.com was targeted to both AT&T and Dish customers equally. However upon checking the website today this has changed. Previously the website didn't mention AT&T or Dish by name just highlighting all the other cable and streaming providers (not owned by AT&T and Dish) as alternate options to continue watching.

The website now calls out "Dish customers" explicitly while DirecTV/Dish Network/U-Verse TV/AT&T TV Now/Sling TV are still not on the list of providers.

Based on previous patterns of AT&T and Dish's negotiations this could indicate baring an 11th hour extension/deal the channel most likely will be dropped from Dish/Sling TV on October 1, 2019.

While DirecTV/U-Verse TV/AT&T TV Now are absent from the list the website is not putting extra focus on AT&T's video services like it currently doing to Dish. This could mean that there is a 50/50 chance that either the channel will be dropped on October 1, 2019 or possibly AT&T and Comcast have reached a temporary extension (similar to Viacom, A&E, Disney and now Sinclair)

(note: I posted this same message to the DTV and Dish forums as it affects both)

11. JoeTheDragon

Jul 21, 2008
  12. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    That I'm not sure of but if they use D* to get the channel I'm sure AT&T will have to take that into consideration but if residential customers are blacked out I'm pretty sure the commercial customers would be as well.

13. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    I think you mean "... if NBC Sports Chicago pulls its channel from DIRECTV?".

14. JoeTheDragon

Jul 21, 2008
    same idea don't want to have to get the terms 100% right

15. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    AT&T Customers: DirecTV still has NBC Sports Chicago for now but is not listed as a provider for Dish Network customers to switch to. There is still a possibility this channel could be pulled but it seems we are playing "who can guess the deadline" again. The message at TV Promise hasn't been updated by AT&T it still says they are "currently negotiating a renewal and hope to prevent any interruption" for DirecTV, AT&T TV Now and U-Verse TV.

Dish/Sling Customers: According to MySportsChicago.com "You Have Lost Every Blackhawks, Bulls and White Sox Game!" and they have reset the countdown clock on their website to indicate how many days Dish customers have to switch providers before they miss Blackhawks @ Flyers. DishPromise.com has been updated with a video from Warren Schlichting.

16. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Quoting @zippyfrog who posted this on the Dish thread of the Dish-NBC Sports Chicago dispute. Apparently AT&T/DirecTV has reached a short term extension for this channel as speculated. As per norm no end date reported so we are playing wait and see with this one as well.

17. glrush

glrush Cool Member/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 29, 2002
    Shellsburg, IA
    When I opened my bill from USA Communications yesterday, there was a notice that they were dropping NBC Sports Chicago on 10/1 and going to replace it with the Sinclair Cubbie channel. They are a small co-op who does internet/phone/video via fiber here in rural Iowa. Cubs baseball here is very popular and I guess they decided they can’t afford both. I do not use their video services, only internet and phone so it won’t impact me but I wonder if DirecTV is going thru the same decision making process.

cielohajames2005 likes this.
  18. JoeTheDragon

Jul 21, 2008
    sinclair broadcast group may of forced it by trying to pull the locals + FSN if they did not get the cubs channel.

cielohajames2005 likes this.
  19. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    If there is a Sinclair affiliate where you live they might have had no choice but to carry the Cubs channel if they renewed that Sinclair contract this year. It is an easier decision for a small co-op like that based in only a single location - Cubs baseball is popular in Iowa but it is far enough away from Chicago we don't pay the full rate. I saw claims they are asking for $4 a month which is a lot for a Cubs only channel that you would only watch half the year.

For a national carrier like Directv or Comcast it is a different story, not only would they be raising the RSN fee by $4 in the Chicago area but they would be raising the rates of people in California or Alabama also who are much less likely to care about Cubs baseball. Directv would want to put that channel in the sports pack, but it would still mean an increase the cost of the sports pack. Sinclair may want it to have national distribution as is done for BTN and SECN, which normally wouldn't have a shot but the threat of losing all the Sinclair locals might be enough to get providers to agree to that.

cielohajames2005 and glrush like this.
  20. JoeTheDragon

Jul 21, 2008
    But MLB rules may make that an issue + they may need an ALT feed to cover that.