1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible switch from DirecTV to Dish - Cabling Questions

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by doofoo, Mar 17, 2013.

1. doofoo

doofoo Cool Member

Jul 20, 2012
    I currently have DirecTV w/ SWM dish. I have a Whole House DVR HR34 I believe it is, plus 3 HR44 which feed from the HR34.

My cabling consists of the following:
    All coax from each room is home-run to my garage where I have a coax panel.
    I have (1) Coax running from the back of the house, where the Satellite is. It comes into the house and runs behind a now closed up wall all the way to the garage. Drywall was put up after the install, so I only have 1 cable that comes from where the satellite must be located.

Am I SOL with switching to DISH? It looks like I will need more than 1 coax from the satellite, whereas on DirecTV I only need 1?

Much appreciated for the help.

2. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Sounds like it would be a bit of work.

From the dish you would need 2 or 3 cables to a Node, which could then hook to your in house setup quite well. I would think if you switched you would go to a 2 Hopper + 2 Joey setup, and that requires 3 cables from the sat dish to the node, then single wires from there to each TV location.

If adding 2 wires from the dish to your coax panel isn't doable, then switching wouldn't be doable either.

3. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    For 2H/2J, 3 lines from dish to the node and from the node you would need 2 direct lines - one for each Hopper and one cascaded line for all the Joeys.

4. doofoo

doofoo Cool Member

Jul 20, 2012
    wow.. Sounds like either DirecTV or Comcast to me. So many problems with DirecTV lately, the box is constantly freezing - not recording our shows, etc. We've had it replaced 3 times, plus the LNB.

Wish I could switch to Dish but it just doesn't sound like it since each room only has 1 home run cable that was put in when the house was built. It would be a MAJOR pain to run new ones.

5. tomgossert

tomgossert Cool Member

Dec 6, 2008
    You would only need the 2nd line to the node from the dish. If you were to get Dish have them put the node in your coax panel. Your home runs would be fine then, you don't need a 2nd line to each room. If you were to get a 2nd Hopper, then it would be 3 lines from dish to duo node, but still single lines to each room.

6. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    A recent Hopper/3 Joey install I observed had Dish sending 2 techs ( a super and a long term regular) and they were very particular about the wiring. They ran new from the node to the dish location despite an existing D* SWiM install working just fine there. Also, an existing run to a TV was replaced with new as it had a splice in it. They didn't even consider redoing the splice with their own connectors and barrel.

Install has worked fine for several weeks now. I'd think all the attention an install crew spends on the wiring is well spent.

7. doofoo

doofoo Cool Member

Jul 20, 2012
    So a hopper will run on a single line from the node? So basically I could have 2 Hoppers (1 Living Room, 1 Master Bedroom), then 2 Joey's in the other 2 bedrooms - all of the bedrooms only having 1 home-run coax drop?

That might be doable. I could have them run 2 new coax cables to my existing coax panel and use the existing one from where the satellite goes (giving me 3 total).

As part of the install, they will run the new drops from the satellite to the coax panel right?

8. doofoo

doofoo Cool Member

Jul 20, 2012
    My issue is I am in a townhome (middle townhome) that is siding on the rear of the home, and stone on the front. I ran all the wires before we put up drywall. Now there really isn't any way to pull a new cable from the back of the house to the garage where the coax panel is located.

They would have to run the cables down the front of the home and find a way to conceal them (which I don't see any way because it's all stone. Maybe running it behind the downspout may be the only option and then enter the home through the cable inlet on the front of the house.

Argh, wish they had a 1 wire solution - I am so tired of my HR34 problems with DTV and ready to drop them. Having HD in my RV with Dish would be a great option too, which I don't have with DTV (without paying for an expensive option).

9. tomgossert

tomgossert Cool Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Yes they will, mine was just installed yesterday (1 Hopper, 2 Joey) coming from 1 HR34 and 2 C31. Reusing cabling may be tricky, the E* installer who did mine would not use the line my HR34 was on, because he could not tell if it was 3Ghz swept RG6, so he ran a whole new line directly to the Hopper. I have read some installs from people who were able to reuse there current cabling and some were like mine. Joeys dont care if its RG6 or RG59. Here is a link to the installation manual for the Hopper: http://gwdish.com/Hopper-Joey.pdf

10. JWKessler

JWKessler Legend

Jun 2, 2004
    A good lesson here for new construction might be to run conduit for the coax so the cable can be replaced or more cables can be run in the future.

11. RASCAL01

RASCAL01 Godfather

Aug 1, 2006
    for 2 Hoppers you would need 3 lines coming from sat to Duo Node. From there one line to each Hopper.

12. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    Look at the bottom page 11 of the manual that tomgossert linked. Couldn't you have the Node at the dish connected to a tap in the Garage that would be connected to the Hopper and a splitter connected to three Joeys?

13. doofoo

doofoo Cool Member

Jul 20, 2012
    I think that would work with 1 hopper and the Joeys, however I was looking for 2 hoppers. It just doesn't look like a good solution for me.

The thing that killed it also was no Disney Jr. I didn't realize that was still not resolved. My wife would kill me if we didn't have that channel anymore. Looks like we are stuck with DirecTV or Comcast for now. Hoping the HR44 works better than the HR34 which I have now. It CONSTANTLY freezes. At least once a day.