1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

post-installation issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Nickee, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Nickee

Nickee Cool Member

Aug 14, 2007
    I just moved into a new house and did the whole movers connection thing. I have 2 HR20s that I moved from my old house, upgraded my HD Tivo for a HR23, got a standard DVR and a D12 receiver. The installer used a SWM.

After the installer was done, he told me there appeared to be a tree that was interfering with the signal so I was getting some breakup and that it would only happen with the HD channels.

After he left and I started watching the multiple TVs, I realized the breakup (searching for signal) only occurs on one TV (with one of my HR20s). The others are fine. In addition, it isn't just the HD channels that are a problem. This morning I was watching channel 291 (DisW) and msnbc keeping breaking in. I've never seen that happen!

Always before when I have had tree problems, it affected all the TVs in the house. Any ideas on what the problem is?

I figured I would post here and get some suggestions before I call Directv.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "Just for grins" try your HR20 connected to another location that doesn't have any problems and maybe try one of the others at the "problem" location.

3. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    There's a couple of things to check.

First check all the cables & connections going to the problem location. Check that they are snug and in good condition, no braid making contact with the center conductor.

Also compare the signal levels between the problem location and one or more good locations. Generally speaking, the signal levels on each transponder should be within a couple of points from location to location.

Next would be to swap boxes between the problem location and a good location. If the problem moves, then it points to that box being bad or at least more sensitive to line conditions. If the problem stays, then something in the distribution is the problem, ie connectors, cable, splitter or the LNB.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Also, your installation is still covered under warranty. Call them.

5. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Wait a minute..

(3) HR2x
    +
    (1) SDDVR
    +
    (1) D12
    =
    9 tuners? A residential SWiM installation only supports 8 Tuners.

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Good catch!

7. Nickee

Nickee Cool Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Okay, I switched the HR20s and now they both are fine. Then I put the one having problems back to where it was having problems and it still had the same problems.

Not sure what the problem was (could it be just a bad combination of connection and receiver that was corrected by changing that combination???) but now it seems okay. I haven't watched either for an extensive period of time but enough time that I would have expected to see it happen based on the problem's earlier frequency.

Oh and I have a SWM 16 (I guess that is what it is called - thats the name on the little grey box!).

Thanks for the suggestions.

8. Hdhead

Hdhead Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    I hate you people with SWM16's.:new_cussi I WANT ONE! :mad2:

9. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    +1 good catch
    I saw the SWM 16 thing.

OP. call directv if issues still continue

10. sungam

sungam Legend

May 10, 2007
    Just because there's a SWM16 doesn't mean it is wired correctly. The SWM16 uses two separate SWiM segments that are still limited to 8 tuners each. An inexperienced installer (SWM16s are pretty new) might have loaded all of the receivers onto one segment instead of dividing them up between the two.

11. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Not hard to imagine! :lol:
    BTW :welcome_s
    Good to see you on the other side!

12. Fabuloso

Fabuloso AllStar

Jun 13, 2009
    why would you let the guy leave if he told you that a tree was going to block your dish? why wouldnt you have the tech move the dish so that a service call wouldnt happen??

13. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    +1

Establishing an account where trees are constantly going to be a problem is a constant problem. Installation companies ring the bell to get the completion rate up...then have to explain away the jobs that really should not have gone in.

If the trees are on the property of others this could be the first chapter in a long and sad story.

Joe

14. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    My guess is that the installer used the tree as an excuse to not troubleshoot the real problem.

15. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    This is also a good possibility.

There was a time when the installation companies would pay $25.00 to go to an address and explain the tree problem. When they dropped that pay I stopped getting out of the truck for the obvious ones & just called the customer.

Since then the new installation companies back charge installers for ANY service call within 90 days. So the close ones get dumped. Why take a chance?

Joe

16. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    That's not true for all, if not for very few companies.

17. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    I don't have experience with all companies. However, did get a back charge (just no pay) after being routed to two MASTEC jobs...remote batteries backwards....defective DVR. Know of a backcharge from a DISH DSR office...customer called to get the techs address to send a tip & commend good job = $50.00 deduct for TC in 30 days. It goes like that.

I am unaware of...meaning can't find...honest operators in my area.

Joe

18. techovercharge

techovercharge Cool Member

Jan 30, 2010
    ndole_mbnd... please tell me a name of the company that doesnt implement backcharges, because i havent heard of one yet

19. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Our company has the capability to backcharge, but it's a seldom practice, other than in the case of lost IRD's.
    We'd rather stop paying the hack techs all together than just once or twice ;)

20. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    There you go,

"Lost IRD" is code for "techs will subsidize warehouse screw ups." Early on I realized the importance of keeping records relating to where every IRD I ever handled came from and went to. With signed WOs showing all the box numbers, I had to go to court to demonstrate that missing equipment was, in fact, installed and making money for Directv. The HSP lost it in their system and refused to pay for the installation.

This crap happened in each of the three HSP operations I was involved with. Again, my experiences are not every experience. There has to be someone somewhere doing it better than I have seen.

"Same whore with different lipstick" still comes to mind. I just won't work with them anymore.

Joe