Post Matthew "re-installation" - missing odd transponders

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by UofAZCats, Oct 9, 2016.

1. UofAZCats

UofAZCats New Member

Oct 10, 2005
    Living on the east side of Florida I took my dish down prior to Matthew coming through for a visit. I did not remove the mount from my roof, just took the actual dish and LNBs down. Now that the storm has passed and we have power I put my dish back up. I got it aimed after a lot of playing with it and got typical signal strength throughout the satellites/transponders, including both odd and even transponders. After taking a break to do some other clean up chores around the homestead I came back to my TV and saw the message that there was no signal on one of the tuners. I checked my satellite signal strength and only had signal from the even numbered transponders for any satellite. I checked this on my other boxes and got the same results. I played with the satellite alignment some more and could never get the odd transponders to appear for any satellite no matter how good strength of the evens.

I have a 5 LNB dish system that runs down to a multiswitch. I am not sure whether the problem is the multiswitch, LNB or the cabling. I am not sure the best way to test which it might be. I am interested in recommendations. Let me know if you need any more info on my set up in order to provide useful advice. Thanks in advance.

2. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Look for water in a fitting, and check voltage at dish/switch.

3. vig1116

vig1116 New Member

Oct 4, 2016
    NJ
    seems like lnb's are going bad all of a sudden, id check that first

4. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Move cables around in the multi switch, see if the issue moves to different satellites, polarities. That way you can pinpoint either a cable problem, if the issue moves with the cable or if is a multi switch problem if the issue remains with the same port in the multi switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. UofAZCats

UofAZCats New Member

Oct 10, 2005
    Per your advice I switched the cables running to the 101 13V and 18V. There was no change in the odds and evens. Therefore I understand that the switch has apparently gone bad, correct? Is this something that is common?

6. tylorert

tylorert Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    It could also be a bad LNB, I would try to connect the LNB directly into a receiver and see what happens. If the problem is still there its the LNB

7. Troch2002

Troch2002 Member

May 7, 2016
    What receiver do you have?
    Because obviously you have a multiswitch of some type, my Guess swm8?
    Or WB68?

If its a Swm only receiver like A Genie or H25, you can't test the LNB with it.
    If its Any other receiver you can as stated by Tylorert.
    Most times ODD/EVEN errors are caused by bad LNBs. BUT it very well could be a bad connection.

But we need more info I what you actually have as far as equipment goes.

8. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    how about the 103. Are you missing trans ponder there as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk