1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Posting this just in case it happens to someone else, HDMI input problem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jimmie57, Jul 15, 2018.

1. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Every weekend I reset my HR24 to clear it's mind so to speak.
    Yesterday I decided that while it was doing that I would switch over to the wi-fi on the TV and watch some 4k You Tube videos. I did that.

When I switched the source back to DTV is showed DTV on HDMI 1 on the TV screen and then went black. I tried changing the channel to make it redo the HDMI handshake. No change. I then tried turning the whole system off , TV and DVR, and turning them back on. Nothing. /Tried it again and left them off a little bit longer this time. Nothing.

With the TV and the HR24 both on, I got up, went to the TV and unplugged the HDMI and plugged it back in.
    Yeah, back to normal. I will not do that again.

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I see some pretty strange things from time to time using the Source option. All caused by what I assume is the HDMI handshake. I get the black screen for a brief period (just long enough to cause me to worry) and then I get the picture. Much as I like the Sammys they do have some problems. I have sets from 2015-2017 and you can see the software get better and better. The 2015 JS8500 has some software issues built in. Those issues don't exist on the 2016 and 2017 models.

Rich

3. dudester

dudester Cool Member

Feb 16, 2012
    I have a hr21 that does that all the time, usually takes a few day to come back but after a software update it goes out again. I just use the component hook ups as I have a external hard drive connected to it. I’m honestly about done with direct anyway. All the programming is fill in for commercials and crap. I have the old Premier and my equipment is 11 years old and im still paying 7.00 a box ea. for them, 8 boxes total. Fiqured it up, over 6000 in lease fees and thats just for the current boxes, think they arent making money.

4. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Just FYI they are not lease fees, they are "per TV" fees which is normal for the industry.