1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Potential) Future of My HR20's

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by svcguy, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. svcguy

svcguy Mentor

Apr 4, 2007
    With all the things for the HR20 you guys have came up with and documented how to do on this board, you've kept me busy since I've got out of school. Thanks.

But, now I have my own plan for my setup! I've come to ask those in the know about the future of the HR20 if this is going to be probable in the near future.

First some background. I have two HR20's (one in the main living room, one in the basement living room). The main living room HR20 is the only one connected to a HDTV (now :(), and both are networked and OTA'ed.

My vision: I'd like to make the HR20 downstairs sort of a 'file server'. That starts by adding a big (1TB+) eSATA drive to it. I know multiroom viewing is in the pipe but don't know much about it. Can I use the 'file server' HR20 to record a ton of shows (hit the 50SL limit), host my DOD content (when it goes live) and use the multiroom viewing (when it's ready) to 'stream' or 'transfer' some or all of that content to my upstairs HR20 and watch it all in beautiful HD.

I ask this now because the HR20 downstairs is new and now is the time to add the eSATA drive (I'll lose nothing from it as it hasn't recorded anything yet) and I need to know that the $$$ spent on the storage solution will be money well spent.

Yes? No? Not really looking for a timeline or any implementation details, this is more a less a question of feasibility for a return on investment of capital expenditures. At least that's how it will get brought up to the CFO (wifey).

- Andy

2. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    No one knows the timeline for any of this stuff.

I'd buy the bigger drive, and connect it to the HR20 connected the the HDTV.

3. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    DirecTV has never stated that the HR20 will be Multi-Room Viewing capable. It might happen, but they seem to have a fair number of problems/delays getting the features they have announced implemented.

The cost of that drive will be much, much lower if/when MRV is launched.

4. Cybercowboy

Cybercowboy Legend

Sep 14, 2007
    I agree. You'll get immediate benefit from your eSata drive, be able to record and watch lots of HD channels, and you can always move the drive to the other HR20 in the future. You'll probably lose whatever is currently on it, but that's not a deal-breaker.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    On the other hand, I'd wait on the big drive, they're only going to get cheaper.

6. svcguy

svcguy Mentor

Apr 4, 2007
    That's sort of my plan.;) While I could put the big eSATA drive on the HR20 hooked to the HD set, my thought was to let the one downstairs (where no one is really watching) take the burden of recording most of the content, freeing up the one upstairs to watch whatever without cancelling active recordings. With MRV (if it is coming to life) I could use that HR20 (downstairs) to also do most of the downloading and whatnot. Sort of a client/server approach to DVR'ing

Anyway, my main question was on MRV. eSATA is working, DOD and Remote Booking are in beta, so unless something goes horribly wrong we'll most likely see those in the near future (right?).

I probably won't buy the equipment until everything is functional and nationally released, anyway. Just kind of thinking ahead:rolleyes:

7. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    If nobody's watching the unit in the basement, why don't you put them both in the living room?

8. svcguy

svcguy Mentor

Apr 4, 2007
    That's a pretty good idea! Nobody's usually watching down there, although I sometimes do and would like to be able to.

9. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006

In a multi room setup, if the HR20s are part of it, they would most likely be the slave units. The server would probably be a new box with a larger drive (more like a PC with a tuner in functionality). The way the HR20 is configured, it is unlikly that it could act as the server. As of now, there is no time frame for MRV

Bob
    Bob

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Well, as far as MRV, I would not be worrying about that right now. DIRECTV has a lot on its plate with On Demand, Remote Booking, 100 new channels, and a new HD receiver (the H21 non-DVR) all expected by end of this year. If I were they, I would make sure all those things were perfect before I moved on to MRV.

I'd love to see it sooner but I have heard nothing to tell me that I should expect it soon.

11. svcguy

svcguy Mentor

Apr 4, 2007
    I guess the heart of this question is can it be considered a reality at all? Doesn't matter if it's not going to be around for months; just is it coming at all?

12. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    svcguy,

DirecTV has only mentioned selling a box that would do something like this. They never said it about the HR20 and it isn't mentioned in any of the advertising for the new HR21 Pro. So...the Magic 8-Ball would probably come up with the answer "Unlikely".

On the positive side. Tivo has done this on their units and will be implementing it on their new units in the near future. There's always the chance that the competitive pressure could cause DirecTV to find a way to implement the feature.

13. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    Consider it - Not a reality.

Anything is possible, we put a man on the moon, but no one is even talking about MRV now.

14. svcguy

svcguy Mentor

Apr 4, 2007
    :icon_lame

Oh, well. Master plan for HR20's: foiled. Back to master plan of world domination...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.