1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power etherned adapters not available on site?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Doom878, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Doom878

Doom878 AllStar

Sep 22, 2008
    I'm trying to see about ordering the power ethernet adapters so that I can watch DoD but when I got to the Equipment page it only has the emergency kit and OTA kit. Are these out of stock or something?

2. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    It still shows up for me. It is now called the "Internet Connection Kit" and is $24.99 (two are required). You can probably call and order it.

3. Doom878

Doom878 AllStar

Sep 22, 2008
    It looks like they're limiting these to how many HD DVR's that you have. I had 2 in my shopping cart and I wanted to see how the power strip worked. I emptied about my box and it was available again. I can see the strip if I answer the question correctly. However I didn't see that they were offering the ethernet adapter for the HD DVR if I was using the wireless connection. Does the HR22 have a built in network card?

4. bobnielsen

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    All of the HD DVRs have a network connection port (RJ45 ethernet). The HR21 and HR22 have a second port which can be used to daisy-chain a second ethernet device. I don't think that Directv has any way of knowing whether your connection is hardwired, powerline or wireless.

As far as things showing up on the equipment list, it seems to have changed a bit. After I bought my powerline adapters they no longer showed up, but now are back.

5. Doom878

Doom878 AllStar

Sep 22, 2008
    I thought you had to have a network adapter connected to the HR22 via RJ45 connection (USB not allowed). Is that correct?

6. bobnielsen

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Yes, only an ethernet connection via the RJ45 is supported. If using a powerline or wireless adapter you connect those to the DVR via ethernet. A connecting cable is normally supplied with these devices.

7. dacoop2

dacoop2 AllStar

Feb 6, 2007
    I don't see them on the site this morning. They were there last week...Friday if I recall correctly.

8. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Would there be any issue with connecting one of these power adapters to a 4 port switch, like THIS ONE.?

To connect multiple components?

9. mjlthuston

mjlthuston AllStar

Jun 6, 2008
    You might want to check your Shopping Cart. If you added it to the shopping cart it won't show up as available anymore until it is removed from the cart.

10. bobnielsen

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    That would be fine for the router end of the network, but not cost-effective to use only as a switch. I have one adapter connected to a port on my router (a different Netgear model). I have another connected directly to my HR21 and a third adapter connected to a Linksys switch similar to this one.

11. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Well, a friend of mine already has a powered ethernet adapter connected to his HR22. He also wants to connect his Blu Ray player and possibly his TV to the internet. Taking the second port of his HR22 out of the equation, what would be the most cost-effective way to obtain this?

I thought just purchasing that switch would do it. No?

12. Doom878

Doom878 AllStar

Sep 22, 2008
    So does D* limit how many adapters we can buy?

13. bobnielsen

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Yes.