1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power inserter location

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Robmoo, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Robmoo

Robmoo Cool Member

Jun 12, 2011
    I installed my DECA network about 10 days ago and everything is working fine except I put the power inserter outside in the eves. I have an outlet there. After more homework it appears I can put the power inserter anywhere in my coax setup. I have 2 cable going to the bedroom and living room from the days before SWM. I'm thinking about placing it on the 2nd cable back in the bedroom. Anyone see any issues with this? Also, I don't have a power inserter from my DECA router, but I seem to be getting internet access just fine. Will setting up the power inserter to feed power through the entire network provide some extra power to the DECA components and ensure speed and reliability?

2. liquidctv

liquidctv Legend

Oct 13, 2010
    >I'm thinking about placing it on the 2nd cable back in the bedroom. Anyone see any issues with this?

Just make sure that 2nd cable is wired to the red port on the splitter. That is all.

>Also, I don't have a power inserter from my DECA router, but I seem to be getting internet access just fine.

If you have the small black DECA with 3 green lights, then power is built-in. It comes with a power plug.

There is no technical reason to believe that moving the power inserter will alter system performance.

3. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    I would switch it just like you said to that 2nd line , move to red port on splitter. performance wise i dont think youll see any changes , but I have never seen anyone have a PI outside.

4. Half Decaf

Half Decaf New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Phoenix
    I recognize this is an old thread, but I'd like to follow this up with another question to further my understanding, my question is relevant to this thread, so no need to create another, I figure.

The DTV installer installed the PI right behind the HR24 in the living room. I would like to remove it from there because those additional wires make the area unsightly. I'd like to move the PI to the attic, which is where the splitter lives. My Q is: in general, is it better to have the PI before the splitter or after the splitter?

5. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    it shouldn't matter. Mine is in my attic as well and I have it before the splitter. Just makes wiring easier (you don't have to worry about power passing ports and whatnot)

6. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I don't know if it makes any difference if the PI is before or after the splitter. Up until Friday my PI was before the splitter but Friday I swapped out my SWM8 for a SWM16 and ran the line with the PI on it directly to the SWM1 port with no splitter. I guess if I had any concern it would, at least where I live, having the PI In the attic. Our attics here in San Antonio get quite hot during the summer. Luckily I have a place in my equipment cabinet in the theater so the PI is in air conditioned space but out of sight. It's been 5 years since I messed with my SWM install so I don't remember all the good hints and advice I got here but something about keeping the PI out of the weather stuck in my mind and I extended that to include a hot attic.

7. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    There's probably an upper temperature limit, but I haven't had any trouble with it in my attic in Alabama. I definitely wouldn't put it outside, it doesn't look at all like it is designed to be in wet environments at all.

8. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Have to admit the other deciding factor was while there is power available in my attic for lights there's no outlet. I could of wired in an outlet but it was obviously easier and quicker just to put the PI in the theater which is about 20' (wire distance) away. While I get in these bursts of improving/upgrading my system I generally follow the "if it ain't broken don't fix it" approach and the location of the PI fits into the "ain't broke" category right now. :)

9. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    yeah, I wouldn't go through the hassle of putting in an outlet. I had an outlet in the attic because there's an unfinished bonus room up there and the builder of my house went ahead and wired it up.

10. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    The attic where my SWM16 is located is actually a sub-attic over my half of my 3-car garage. The adjoining bedroom, which we use as a home office, actually had the option to be expanded over the garage and turned into a pretty big recreation/multimedia room and the present multimedia room that we use as our theater turned into a bedroom. The couple who built the house were empty nesters, as are we, and they opted not to go with the expanded rec room. While the builder finished the floor support system to occupied space standards he didn't finish out the electrical. It could be done but we already have way more space than we need and the sub-attic, summer temperature notwithstanding, is a nice walk-in storage area. Over the years I have moved all the video, phone, and LAN wiring hubs from the real full attic, which is accessible only by drop down ladder, to this sub-attic.