1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Inserter question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jcthomas, Aug 1, 2013.

1. jcthomas

jcthomas Cool Member

Feb 4, 2004
    I have a SWM16 "mulitswitch" feeding a HR34 and a HR23. The 29volt power inserter failed and DirecTv sent me a 21volt replacement. The tech support person claims that the 21volt will "work just fine" to power the SWM16 in place of the 29volt power inserter. He aslo stated that thely do not even have a part number for the 29volt power inserter and use the 21 volt device now. Is this correct?

They wanted me to install the 21 volt power inserter to test. I did not for fear that it might damage the SWM16. If I install the 21volt power inseter until I can get the 29volt device, will this hurt the SWM16?

Regards,

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    the point is you must know what sustain and max [rush] current your multiswitch required

the 21V PI is rated at 21v/ 1.2A max

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    found at SS about SWM-8:
    DC Power: Power Supply (29Vdc, 1.5A)

I would say PI 21V could works for the switch, I would just measure the current to be sure, my guts telling me it would be 800 mA according common rules to pick proper power adapters (margin is usually 50...100% for the current)

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
  5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If the device was designed around a 43W supply, it doesn't seem entirely reasonable to expect that a 25W power supply would offer much tolerance.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    the device designed not around power supply, but PI did pick, validated, tested, etc to work with the switch - it's third party device

7. Joe166

Joe166 AllStar

Jan 5, 2007
    When my PI went south on me DTV sent me the 21 volt to replace the 29 volt that had been there. I self installed and it worked fine (as far as I could tell) but when the tech came to install the HR 44 in place of my "defective" HR 34, he immediately advised me that many of the problems I had with the Genie were due to the lower voltage and replaced it with a 29 volt.

It has been my experience that lots of workmen have a tendency to disparage work done by earlier workers, so I have no idea if this was really a problem or not. I had called when I got the different one in the mail and was assured by the CSR that this would be fine with the equipment I had.