Power Inserter Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by gta04, Feb 9, 2020.

1. gta04

gta04 New Member

May 16, 2008
    I currently have a very basic system, a HR21 receiver and nothing else. I am upgrading to a Genie HR54-700, and this will be the only device in my system. I will not have other boxes, internet connection, etc., though I can't rule out having those at some point in the future.

I will be changing out my LNB to a SWM13 3D2RBLNB, which i understand will be powered by the built-in 21V power inserter in the HR54. But here is where I get confused. I have read that the built-in PI is all I need, but I have also read that I still need an external 21V PI.

So my question is, can I simply run a cable from the LNB straight to the HR54 with no other hardware and all will be good? Or should I insert a PI in the "circuit," that is, LNB to PI to HR54? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I see no need for a splitter or multiswitch.

If I don't technically "need" an external PI, would there be any advantage to having one anyway, since they are not very expensive? Any disadvantages? Again, this is a very basic system, and I just want to get the best performance without risking damage to anything.

Thanks for your help and advice!

2. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    You don't need a separate power inserter. The only advantage I can see to having one is if the one in the HR54 fails. I've never heard of that happening.