Power-On Default Channel 104

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by DavidPJ, May 31, 2015.

1. DavidPJ

DavidPJ New Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Our Hopper always powers up to channel 104. This is an annoying infomercial channel which I would really like to change but I can't find a way of changing it. I called tech support but the rep couldn't help. Is this normal operation? I tried deleting it from my custom favorites list but it didn't help. The Joeys power up to the last channel viewed. Thanks.

2. TommyF@DISH Network

TommyF@DISH Network Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    It is a new feature where the receivers are supposed to tune to the most watched channel, however right now there is a known issue with it not doing that correctly. Our operations team is requesting feedback on the issue which you already provided in your post. Can you send me a PM with the account or phone # so I can send that along?

The feedback is just what channel it tunes to and if you regularly watch it or not.

3. Jun 1, 2015 #3 of 58
    TheGrove

TheGrove AllStar

Jan 9, 2007
    PM Sent.

I'm seeing it where the Hopper goes to sleep on Weather Nation (215) but wakes up on Weather Channel (214). I have an auto tune setup for Weather Nation at 2:45 each morning so I view this channel a lot.

4. Jun 1, 2015 #4 of 58
    DavidPJ

DavidPJ New Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Thanks TommyF, your explanation helped a little but sometimes the Hopper still comes out of standby or power-off with channel 103 or 104 tuned. This is after watching other channels for a few hours. I don't watch channels 103 or 104. I sent you a PM with the info you requested.

5. Jun 1, 2015 #5 of 58
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Please convey to the powers that be that this is an undesirable feature -- even if it was working correctly.

6. Jun 1, 2015 #6 of 58
    BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    I agree this is not a desirable feature. Always had my receivers wake on the last channel watched and I like it that way.

salyavin likes this.
  7. Jun 6, 2015 #7 of 58
    Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    Whether this "feature" is working properly or not, this is not desirable at all. Instead of adding useless features, why not fix the many Hopper firmware limitations and bugs.

1 person likes this.
  8. Jun 6, 2015 #8 of 58
    DN2014

DN2014 New Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Midwest USA
    AMEN !

9. Jun 7, 2015 #9 of 58
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    In theory... if this feature truly worked, you wouldn't notice it as much... because it would be tuning to your most-frequently-watched channel.

To be honest, this seems like a non-feature BUT also a non-problem. The receiver doesn't buffer anything in standby anyway... so all you have to do is set an AutoTune timer to wake up to your favorite morning channel OR just tune there when you first turn it on for the day.

10. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Undesirable features that don't work right are a huge problem in modern consumer electronics.

salyavin likes this.
  11. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Sometimes, yes... but this particular one has two very simple workarounds... As I said, define an AutoTune timer to change to the channel you want automatically in the morning OR just quickly change there manually when you first wake the receiver. As far as unintended bugs go, this one is very minor.

12. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The idea is to avoid Creeping Feature-itis and not add garbage like this in the first place. That the introduction to the feature is a result of it failing is not an auspicious start.

Many people like to watch news in the morning and late at night. That means I don't want to be presented with something from the Disney Channel or H2 because that's what everyone is watching most of the time. I want the TV to remain tuned to the channel I left it on. If I specifically want to turn to a particular station, I'll set up an Autotune. My provider doesn't get to drive my preferences.

I would prefer that upgrade efforts be put towards features that actually mean something or fixing good ideas that weren't executed very well.

salyavin likes this.
  13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The idea of this feature is to tune to the channel YOU watch the most ... not the general population. The favorite channel of those using that particular receiver.

BTW: Either the feature doesn't work for me or it works perfectly. I usually find the receiver (Hopper) set to the same channel I was last watching ... but I tend to watch that channel several hours a day - more than any other channel.

14. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Your argument assumes a 1:1 viewer to receiver arrangement. That's not a good assumption. Even if it were, viewing patterns for many are based on time of day, not minutes spent watching.

salyavin likes this.
  15. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Like I said, though... I get this is a feature that has a glitch and isn't even one that anyone appears to have demanded... but the workaround for it is so insanely simple that I would be complaining harder about other glitches and basically ignoring this one.

16. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Wasting resources implementing undesirable features is surely taking away resources that might otherwise be used to refine the necessary and desirable ones.

You may consider thwarting the designers poorly conceived concepts challenging or entertaining, but it is just a waste of everyone's time if it can be stopped before it gets any worse.

Features like this should be opt-in, not find your way around.

salyavin likes this.
  17. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I don't disagree with you... but the time to stop such features is before they take the time to implement them... at this point that ship has sailed, and I would spend more time complaining to them about the other problems that I wanted fixed instead.

I wouldn't care for this feature either... but in the scheme of things, it's easy enough to work around.

18. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    One question, why do you ever "power off"? If you do it often, maybe you are triggering those channels as most watched.

19. TheGrove

TheGrove AllStar

Jan 9, 2007
    Unless changed the system will automatically power off after a period of time. It also "powers off" when it does its nightly reboot.

20. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    With the Hopper, I recall that you can extend that period up to eight hours. That's surely enough to make a channel "most watched".