1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Outage Problem - Help

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by HinesV, Sep 19, 2010.

1. HinesV

HinesV New Member

Oct 9, 2009
    I have a Slimline Dish and 2 DIRECTV Plus HD DVR's. They are both connected via an 8 channel SWM-8. I also have an emergency generator that powers one of the DVR's and its associated TV, but not the other. When the regular power goes off and the generator kicks in, the DVR that is on the generator cannot find the satellite. When the power comes back on, all is well.

The SWM's Power Inserter is on the same generator-powered circuit as the TV and DVR. Is there some kind of sequence problem between the affected DVR and the one that is without power? That is the only thing I can imagine that could be wrong.

Thanks

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Maybe. The momentary AC drop before the generator kicks in could be messing up the timing. Ideally the SWM PI should be up and powered before the DVR resets, or the DVR will set itself to the wrong dish type. You might consider using a UPS on those devices to help bridge the gap before the generator kicks in.

3. tgater

tgater Godfather

Jul 24, 2007
    If the generator is automatic you shouldn't need a big UPS, the 30 dollar ones should be fine. Also make sure your generator loads are balanced. If not one side could be going lower than the other. If your transfer of power is manual, then you'll need larger capacity UPS's.

4. HinesV

HinesV New Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Thanks very much for your replys. I will try the UPS approach.