Power Saving seems to have gone away

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by TomCat, Oct 14, 2014.

1. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I have a friend that has DVRs that shut off on them, so I said "let's turn power saving off". But when I went to look, that seems not to be there anymore. WTF? The DTV site tells how to get there, but I go there, and no PS.

Does anyone know what gives here? Did DTV finally realize that it wasn't really "saving" power and just dumped it?

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Menu, Settings & Help, Settings,
    Power Saving

3. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    On my 34 and a 20, it's under Remote Control in Settings. You might try rebooting.

4. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Is this a business or residential account? Business accounts do not have power saving for obvious reason….

5. b52pooh

b52pooh Cool Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    What DVR models?

6. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    That is a good point; it is indeed a business account. But I would be surprised if there were a way to make that vanish from the settings menu for specific accounts.

But it has, so I am surprised, I guess. Doesn't change the fact that it is shutting down, tho. (HR24's)

They are also having random screen savers appear in the middle of actual programming. I thought they had fixed that issue.

7. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    All receivers that activated for business have that setting removed. perhaps in hidden, but there is no way to get to it as is no where in the menus

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    OK. Explains how you knew.

9. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    Wouldn't you save more power if the TV was off?

10. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    The Engineering philosophy where I currently work revolves around "never turn anything off". And that is probably because old equipment that is sitting in a rack doing its job for 10 years might just not come back up when you power cycle it.

That is a bit like whistling through the graveyard so nothing bad can happen to you, but the wisdom of that is another, probably meaningless, discussion. It is what it is. We pay the power company ~50K a month to power transmitters, so while it is an energy-inefficient policy, it appears to them like a drop in the bucket, and the cost of doing business.

But the "power save" thing on DTV seems to have been proven to not save any power at all, according to those who have measured it. About the only way you can save power in a DVR would be to blank the front panel out, unpower the video output circuit, and spin down the HDD. And that would be negligible, most likely. The MB still has to be powered to be alert for a remote command or a timed recording. And there is a theory about spinning down the HDD that is very much like our "never turn anything off" philosophy, just not proven to be advantageous either way.

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    All metals heat up when they are used in electrical situations. Especially the wires and the solder joints. When they are off they cool off.
    Heat causes metal to expand and when it cools off they contract back to their original size.
    Turning electric device on and off causes constant expansion and contraction of these joints and sometimes leads to a failure.

Starting an electrical motor takes 50% or more power to get it up to speed and causes strain every time it is started. Leaving it on reduces these start up strains.

If you are in a high humidity environment the heat in the device keeps the device dry and when it is turned off allows moisture to form on them and cause a failure.
    We used to rig up a socket and a light bulb in the CNC controls on our machines at the shop where I worked. The light bulb being on all the time was enough heat to keep the moisture out.

12. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Don't some TVs now shut themselves off when no signal is input for a certain amount of time?

With a set like that, the TV would shut off as well as the DVR, making the process more worthwhile.

13. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    All my TVs do. I think is after about 10 minutes