DBSTalk Forum banner

Powerline Ethernet stopped working

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  radamo 
#1 ·
I have been using the Slink Link Turbo Powerline Ethernet kit to get my HR20-700 and PS3 on my network for about 1 year. As of yesterday it stopped working. During my testing I discovered that the units will connect if I use any outlet other than the ones in my office (near my router).

Why would it stop all of a sudden? No new electrical units have been hooked up in over two months. I just don't get it.

RA

#2 ·
radamo said:
I have been using the Slink Link Turbo Powerline Ethernet kit to get my HR20-700 and PS3 on my network for about 1 year. As of yesterday it stopped working. During my testing I discovered that the units will connect if I use any outlet other than the ones in my office (near my router).

Why would it stop all of a sudden? No new electrical units have been hooked up in over two months. I just don't get it.

RA
This might be a stupid question, but did check your circuit breakers?

#3 ·
BubblePuppy said:
This might be a stupid question, but did check your circuit breakers?
Yes, I did. Last weekend I had to turn off the all of the breakers. I was trying to locate a problem and it wound up being a GFI outlet that needed to be reset. But the unit worked after that for several days. Then last night I reset the Powerline converters because my throughput seemed slow and a reset usually addresses that. After the reset I could not get a link...

Tonight I am going to turn off my PC and UPS and unplug them and see if the UPS is affecting the circuit somehow (although it has been this way since I got the kit)... Not sure what else to try.
RA

PS The powerline converters are both plugged into the wall directly.

#4 ·
I had the 1-port side of my slinglink turbo fail, I don't know why. The achilles heel of the whole thing is of course that you can't plug them into surge protectors.

#6 ·
I read that you did not add any new electrical units to your environment but did that include new bulbs?

Especially the CFL or LED types. Not so long ago I replaced one of my bulbs with an extremely energy efficient LED model and it instantly disconnected every type of communications I had running on power lines.

Also, while the SlingLink units do fail, other electrical appliances may also have developed noise from aging components.

You could get a power line noise analyzer to help you debug, they're not too expensive these days anymore.

#7 ·
mouserider said:
I read that you did not add any new electrical units to your environment but did that include new bulbs?

Especially the CFL or LED types. Not so long ago I replaced one of my bulbs with an extremely energy efficient LED model and it instantly disconnected every type of communications I had running on power lines.

Also, while the SlingLink units do fail, other electrical appliances may also have developed noise from aging components.

You could get a power line noise analyzer to help you debug, they're not too expensive these days anymore.
I have not added any CFL or LED lights but that is interesting... What has me baffled is that the entire 2nd floor was added a year ago.... and half the outlets (those not in my office) seem to work, while the ones in the office do not anymore.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone....

#10 ·
radamo said:
I highly doubt that since we have had no other reason to believe mice are involved... and the power still functions without issue.
RA
What has me baffled is that the entire 2nd floor was added a year ago.... and half the outlets (those not in my office) seem to work, while the ones in the office do not anymore.
I was thinking more towards what caused the initial gfi fault and office 1/2 working should have clarified that better. sorry.

#12 ·
radamo said:
I have not added any CFL or LED lights but that is interesting... What has me baffled is that the entire 2nd floor was added a year ago.... and half the outlets (those not in my office) seem to work, while the ones in the office do not anymore.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone....
Ok, well, depending on how your power is wired, your 2nd floor could have two independent circuits that don't cross at the distribution panel. That usually happens if you have higher than a 150A box.

Typically you need a bridge to cross connect those two or more circuits (i.e. 3-phase, dual-phase) but sometimes, those circuits do get linked by 220V appliances such as air-conditioning compressors or electric stoves.

Did you recently turn off, remove or relocate any 220V appliances in your home?

#13 ·
mouserider said:
Ok, well, depending on how your power is wired, your 2nd floor could have two independent circuits that don't cross at the distribution panel. That usually happens if you have higher than a 150A box.

Typically you need a bridge to cross connect those two or more circuits (i.e. 3-phase, dual-phase) but sometimes, those circuits do get linked by 220V appliances such as air-conditioning compressors or electric stoves.

Did you recently turn off, remove or relocate any 220V appliances in your home?
I think my service was upgraded about 3 years ago to 200A. No 220V appliances have recently been added, moved, removed or changed in any way... I will double check all GFI's and circuits tonight to make sure nothing is out of whack.
Thanks,
RA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.