PPV HD/Dish on Demand questions...

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by Calvin386, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 5, 2008 #1 of 26
    Calvin386

Calvin386 Godfather

May 23, 2007
    I have been kicking around the idea of picking up a Blu Ray player (PS3).

However, it hit me. I have access to HD movies via E* PPV HD or Dish on Demand (Is DOD in HD?). In 10 years of being a E* customer, I have never tried either one.

Rather than invest in the Blur Ray(PS3) and then rent Blu Ray discs, I sure could rent alot of PPV HD.

How does the video quality of E* PPV HD compare to a Blu Ray player?

Is Dish On Demand in HD and can I record it and store it on a external hard drive? For example, I noticed that Pirates of the Carribean is available on DOD. This movie is available on Blu Ray. Is the video quality going to be comparable?

I haven't seen 300 yet. I would like to see it in HD. Is there a way to get that movie on E* or do I just have to keep up by recording the latest releases as they come out?

If I don't go with the Blu Ray player, I am going to get an external hard drive. What are some suggestions of ones to buy? I will do a search for this answer. I know there are a few threads out there about it.

Thanks in advance...

2. Feb 6, 2008 #2 of 26
    rey_1178

rey_1178 New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Florida
    the difference between 1080i and 1080p doesn't appear to be much. although i do own a bluray player and I highly recommend it. Plus you'll be able to rent much more movies on bluray than what you'll find on HDPPV. on the ext. hard drives the only thing i've heard so far is that seagate drives don't work well with the vip units. make sure you get a drive with it's own power supply. usb powered drives won't work with vip units. there is a support forum here for vip622/722s check it out buddy ;)

3. Feb 6, 2008 #3 of 26
    rey_1178

rey_1178 New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Florida
    here is a list of drives that work

Buffalo Technology DriveStation SATA 500GB
    Cavalry 500GB
    Hitachi 500GB
    HP Personal Media Drive 500GB
    I/O Magic Gigabank 500 - 500GB
    IOmega 500GB Desktop
    Maxtor 750GB OneTouch
    Maxtor 500GB Personal Storage 3200
    MAXTOR DiamondMax 9 80GB ATA/133 HDD
    Maxtor OneTouch II 200GB
    Maxtor OneTouch II 300GB
    Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
    Maxtor OneTouch IV 500GB
    SimpleTech 320GB
    SimpleTech 500GB
    WD My Book Essentials 250GB
    WD My Book Essentials 500GB
    WD My Book Essentials 750GB
    WD My Book Essentials 1TB
    WD My Book Premium Edition 750GB

4. Feb 6, 2008 #4 of 26
    lpmiller

lpmiller AllStar

Mar 8, 2007
    as good as Dish HD is, it is not as good as Bluray. Bluray is the best image you'll get, also, the best sound.

5. Feb 6, 2008 #5 of 26
    booger

booger Legend

Oct 31, 2005
    I'm in the same boat and I opted to just use Dish HD PPV to purchase all my movies. I store them on my 500GB WD hard drive so they are easy to access, no discs to mess with and the image quality is good enough for me.

The only drawback is the amount of HD movies. I don't recall ever seeing 300 offered in HD. I wish they would put more in rotation.

6. Feb 7, 2008 #6 of 26
    rey_1178

rey_1178 New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Florida
    +1;)

7. Feb 7, 2008 #7 of 26
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I posted this on another thread, but will include it here for those considering future purchases of HD movies and equipment:

So far I haven't seen anything else about this except from TVWeek:
    The big question is how will D* & E* handle this challenge?:confused:

8. Feb 7, 2008 #8 of 26
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Turn off your 722 at night and you'll be fine.
    Turn off your 622 at night and you'll get it in SD.

This is what Dish Movies on Demand is for. I can't remember the movie, but one of the recent releases was "available on the DVD release date". The more control that providers get over the content (read: movies on demand or DRM limited PPV) the more likely that "day of release" movies will be available (as it won't cut into DVD sales too much).

9. Feb 7, 2008 #9 of 26
    phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Hmmm. I'm not sure what this means. I'm toying with replacing my 508's with either a 612 or another 722. Does your post indicate differences between the 622 and 722? And would they apply to the 612?

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Both recievers (and I believe the 612 as well) has a feature called "Movies on Demand". When the receiver is off at night and through the next day, it records content off of one of several internal channels (or PPV channels) for this feature.

Via the feature you can watch a selection of PPV movies NOW ... without waiting for the next airing. That can also include movies that are just starting on PPV (as well as some special films that have not been on PPV for a while).

The 722 is advertised as having a larger hard drive and the ability to do HD "movies on demand" ... although it has not been used yet.

11. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    That's a cool feature. I didn't understand how it works until now. Thanks.

12. Calvin386

Calvin386 Godfather

May 23, 2007
    Whew! We had a tornado here Tuesday night and my internet has been off. Thanks for the replys guys.

I guess I should have said that I realize that Blu Ray is 1080P and E* is only capable of 1080i.

I guess I'm with booger. I was thinking I could live with the E*HD even though it wasn't quite as good as Blu Ray. The only drawback is you only get what E* offers.

I thought I would give it a try so I set my 622 to record The Invasion. When I got up the next morning it wasn't there. I had my PPV's lockes so I assume it prompted me to allow it to record but I wasn't watching so it didn't. I guess I bought that movie for nothing.

My next try will be Pirates of the Carribean III tonight. I have everything unlocked now so I think it will work. I guess Dish will make a little money off of me while I try to figure this thing out...lol

13. slowmo

slowmo Legend

Sep 22, 2006
    I purchased an HD-DVD player when the HD-A2's were so heavily discounted in the fall. My best display is only 720p but I still prefer to watch HD movies via the player vs. PPV HD:

1. No artifacts visible in the playback of the HD-DVD's vs. satellite. Even on a 720p (and 480p ED display), the PQ of the HD disks is great.

2. Better sound

3. Many of the PPV movies are not shown in OAR. This is probably my biggest gripe. Some are but you don't know until you view it.

Currently, I've been using PPV to watch those movies that are not released in HD-DVD (unfortunately a growing number!).

Also, I'm tired of the movie channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.). I'll either watch it on disk or watch it on PPV and save the fixed monthly fee of a premium movie channel.

14. lpmiller

lpmiller AllStar

Mar 8, 2007
    it's not a difference of 1080i versus 1080p, really. Dish's HD is fairly compressed compared to bluray (which yes, is compressed, but they have a lot of room to work with. As good as Dish's HD can be, it isn't as good an image in a direct comparison. Now that the format war seems over, I find myself picking up a lot more bluray movies and I can see the difference. Having said that, if you're happy with the HD PPV selection, great, but investing in a PS3 - which is also a pretty darn good DVD upconverter - is going to give you more movie choices, and a better picture. Add in the uncompressed DolbyHD soundtracks (which really do sound wonderful) and you won't be displeased.

15. Calvin386

Calvin386 Godfather

May 23, 2007
    Thanks for the replys guys. The upconverter would be a plus.

16. lapplegate

lapplegate Legend

Jan 17, 2003
    Calvin,
    I live in the southern Indiana area, close to Louisville. I have a blu ray player and the picture and sound are much better than HD PPV. The problem, in this area, is renting blu ray DVDs. I have used both Netflix and Blockbuster online and they must get only one copy for rent. I am still waiting on blu rays released over a month ago. I cant come up with any local DVD rental places that have blu ray. I have started using HD PPV because thats as good as I can do in a timley manner. If you can find a local rental place that has blu ray or are willing to purchase instead of rent, I would say go with blu ray.

And Tuesday was one heck of a ride.

17. Calvin386

Calvin386 Godfather

May 23, 2007
    Brandenburg here. It got a little wild here Tuesday.

We have a rental place here that has started renting Blu Rays. That's kind of what got me started on this. For now, I am going to stick with Dish PPV til the players come down a little bit. I only rent about 1 movie a month so it's not killing me to wait them out.

18. Friendswood

Friendswood Mentor

Jan 17, 2008
    Something to consider when deciding to go Blu-ray or HD-DVD.
    At the moment....the movie studios are about evenly split on releasing hi-def content on Blu-ray and HD-DVD.
    20th Century Fox, Sony, Buena Vista, as well as a few smaller studios release content on Blu-ray format only. Paramount, Universal and two smaller studios release hd content on HD-DVD format only....with Warner Bros. releasing content on both formats.
    In June however...Warner Bros. will begin releasing high-def content in Blu-ray only, which will put almost two-thirds of the studio content release exclusively on Blu-ray.

19. steinmeg

steinmeg Legend

Nov 23, 2006

I have a Sony Blue Ray player, and so far I am not happy...I rent movies brand new relaeses( Brave One as an example) ..the colors are dark, and it certainly does not look any better tyhan a regulary 480P DVD...I called Sony( all in the Phillapines) and one guy tells me I need a new firmware update, another guy sdays its the movie..I giver up.
    Some movies are very good, Spiderman 3 , The Black Book), but for the most part I am not happy

PS Iam waiting on the new firmware update to arrive..I doubt if this would help

20. raylock

raylock Cool Member

Feb 3, 2006
    This may not be the best place for this inquiry but maybe someone can steer me in the right direction.

Last night I rented Michael Clayton from Dish's On Demand library. The movie, which was filmed in a 2.35:1 format was displayed in something that looks like 4.3:1 with large black bars on the sides of the picture. The movie was downloaded on my dish VIP622 and displayed on an Epson Home 1080 projector. I am trying to understand why the picture was displayed in the smaller aspect ratio. Is this Dish's choice (In which case I won't rent any more of their movies) or is it the receiver? During the picture the format control (which usually affects the display) did not have any effect. The format control on the projector does not work if the projector is receiving an HDMI signal so that did not work either.

Thanks for any help or direction where to look.

Ray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.