PPV movie weirdness

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sbl, Apr 8, 2018.

1. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    DirecTV recently sent me an offer for a free PPV movie, which I decided to take them up on. I hadn't before "rented" a movie that had to download. Using the iPad app, I selected a movie and requested "Record to TV", telling it to record on my HR44.

Later in the day, I went to check the playlist for the movie, expecting it to be there. Nope. Went to "Purchases". Nope. To Do list? Nope. Queue? Nope. I checked the recording history and it showed that the download failed because the movie had already been recorded.

The only way I could get to the movie was to search for it again and select Play, at which point it asked if I wanted to buy or rent. It then did play.

I don't think this is how it is supposed to work. I have a vague memory of some movies being automatically downloaded in advance, with the anticipation one might watch them, but if that was the case I'd expect that my app request to "record" the movie would cause it to show on the playlist. What are others' experiences with this?