1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ppv movies

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by turey22, Feb 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    good morning everyone,

i dont know if anybody knew about this. ppv, on directv, can only be stored on your dvr for only 24hrs. it will suck if i record a movie and would like to watch it in a couple of days. the movie studios are just controlling us. first its what blueray or hddvd and now we will only get 24hrs to watch a ppv

2. paragon

paragon Godfather

Nov 15, 2007
    This is false. I recorded Michael Clayton last Monday and didn't watch it until Friday night.

3. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    I have recorded many movies and watched them days or even weeks later.

4. InterMurph

InterMurph AllStar

Dec 18, 2007
    You might be referring to how much time is allowed to once you have started watching the movie. Such a limit is enforced by Apple TV, Netflix, etc.

Since I always watch my movies straight through, I don't know if DirecTV imposes such a limit.

5. somekevinguy

somekevinguy Legend

Jan 7, 2008
    In the last 10 years I have probably ordered 3 or 4 PPV but I just ordered Michael Clayton in HD last week on the 21st and watched it the same night and in my program list it said it expired on the 23rd. My wife watched it early in the morning on the 23rd. I didn't pay attention to when it was actually deleted. Does seem pretty quick though. You think they would at least give us about a week.

6. turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    oh sorry starting march the 1st. thats what they told me

7. Old Tv Watcher

Old Tv Watcher Legend

Dec 22, 2007
    So, just rcord it!

8. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
  9. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    Sometimes when I buy a PPV and record it I see some date it will expire when I bring up the list. Once I hit PLAY and then stop it a few seconds later it lets me Set it to Save until I delete it or whatever I want to set it to.

If the "they" that told you this is a customer service rep you might as well just ignore what "they" said.

10. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I have had Transformers on my DVR since Jan 23rd. I have watched it 3 or 4 times, the last time was Feb 23rd. No Issues whatsoever.

11. mauijiminar

mauijiminar Godfather

Oct 11, 2007
    No Issues Here Either!

12. Stealth87

Stealth87 Legend

Jan 10, 2008
    How long does it take for the studios to get there films to D*. Like "Gone Baby Gone" came out earlier this month but it's not available to record yet. Is it the movie studio's decision or D*?

13. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    The expiration date will disappear after you watch (and thus purchase) the movie.

If you record a PPV movie on your DVR but don't watch it, you won't be charged. But it will only remain on the hard drive for so long before being automatically deleted. (I believe a month or so but not sure)

I recorded a PPV movie and then watched it last fall. It's still on my hard drive and if I highlight it and check the movie description it even says the date and time I purchased (watched) it!

14. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    It seems the majority of PPV releases are about a month after the DVD release. I watched Gone Baby Gone on DVD 2 weeks ago. I noticed on the D* website they have a couple movies highlighted as "Same Day as DVD" so I guess it happens once in a while.

15. phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215 Icon

Nov 4, 2007
    I recorded "...Chuck and Larry" on New Years Eve and it is still there. I don't know if it due to the fact that I turned it on the next moring and watched 2 or 3 minutes of it.

16. turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    yeah it was a csr. i guess we will just have to wait and see.

17. doctahg

doctahg Cool Member

Nov 22, 2007
    ON DEMAND is 24HRS...

18. somekevinguy

somekevinguy Legend

Jan 7, 2008
    If you read my post more carefully you will see that I said I watched it that night and for next two days it still showed the 2/23 expiration date which was two days after I recorded it not a month. I didn't try to press keep though. I don't know if that would have changed anything. The last time I ordered a PPV a few years ago they were only like $2.99 or something. I already had it mind to order the PPV the other night before I saw the $4.99 price tag so I ordered it anyway but that will be my last PPV at those rip off prices so I won't be able to test the keep it button on any future PPV.

19. pdxguy

pdxguy Mentor

Aug 8, 2007
    I consider $4.99 a fair price for an HD movie. It would be a rip-off for an SD movie, though.

20. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    Its the same price as a Blu-ray rental in Blockbuster. I think 4.99 is fair, plus no worries about returning or late fees.

I do wish they would have a PPV program though. Like every 11th rental free or if you rent so many in month the rest are half off. Better yet, a all-you-can eat program for like $30 a month would be very nice. Blockbuster can do it, why not DirecTV?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.