1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PPVs has no picture just audio with genie.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by PokerBen, Aug 12, 2013.

1. PokerBen

PokerBen New Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Colorado
    I've been having this problem going on for almost 2 weeks that I've been aware of it.

Anytime I order a PPV whether on demand via menu or via text message.

Screen goes black like I've switched my tv imput. The name of my input comes up on the tv screen, but I can hear the movie audio playing of ppv.

Sometimes I can get out of it by hitting stop, and it returns to my previous channel I was watching. Other times I have to manually reboot.

When it reboots in does a disk scan and comes up with 59 errors found 57 fixed I believe.

Support was no help. Only managed to refund my fee.

Any ideas?

I don't want to have to switch my receiver and loose all my recordings.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    As a test.
    Menu, Settings, Display, Resolutions, Check only the 1080i resolution and try that.

As a second attempt, try using a set of component cables ( red, blue and green for video and read and white for audio ). It will transmit up to 1080i resolution. I have my Samsung hooked up this way and do not have any problems.

3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.
    * When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select
    * You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."
    * Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.
    * If the other tests pass, run the surface test. Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive.

4. PokerBen

PokerBen New Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Colorado
    Jimmie: Thanks so much! Changing my display resolution to only 1080i did the trick. Sorry it took so long for me to reply back.

Peds: If I run into any more trouble I will be sure and run the BIST. Thank you for that info as well.

Should I edit this topic as solved?

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Glad that worked out for you. Thanks for updating us.