1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre-release purchase of Windows 7

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Hansen, Jun 27, 2009.

Did you or are you going to purchase the pre-release of Windows 7?

1. Already purchased pre-release of Windows 7 Home Premium

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Already purchased pre-release of Windows 7 Professional

16 vote(s)
    34.0%
  3. Will purchase the pre-release of Windows 7 (either version) before the July 11 deadline

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  4. Waiting to see if better pricing comes along in the future

11 vote(s)
    23.4%
  5. Sticking with what I have; not purchasing Windows 7 now or in future

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  6. Have MSDN, Technet, or another option.

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  1. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    I thought it might be interesting to see if people are making the pre-release purchase of Windows 7 given what seems like very fair pricing for the Home Premium ($49.99) and Professional ($99.99) versions or are you waiting to see if better prices come along in the Fall when it's released on October 22nd.

Personally, I went ahead and purchased a copy of Home Premium from Newegg since you get the disk and no shipping or tax costs.

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    The only reason I am not pre-ordering is because the Ultimate version is not available.

3. FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67 CE'er & Retired Engineer DBSTalk Club

Jan 12, 2007
    Windber, PA
    I've had the same thoughts, but I can't explain why. Do you have any specific reason?
    I have Vista Ultimate 64-bit version now.

4. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    The cheapest price I've seen for the upgrade is $44.95 at Costco, $5 less than Best Buy or Amazon. Shipping is not included though, so I hope it's available in-store for cash-and-carry price.

5. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    Ditto
    I plan on getting a new laptop (old one sounds like a vacumn cleaner on its last leg) and there is a free upgrade to windows 7 with a pc with vista purchsed after a certain date

6. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    You need to add... yes I will switch to Windows 7 but my licenses are covered by TechNet/MSDN/Microsoft Partner subscriptions.

Larry

7. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    I'm a mixture. I too have technet subscriptions (somewhat in thanks to LarryFlowers), but I suspect my laptops won't last much longer than the RC1 licenses would anyway. (I might end up surprised.) :)

Cheers,
    Tom

8. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    I went ahead and used Amazon.com, since they have no sales tax and free shipping. Most of the other stores would have charged me sales tax since they have locations in Texas. I got one Pro and three Home Premium. No subscriptions here.

9. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Same here.

10. chevyguy559

chevyguy559 Fresno State Bulldog!

Sep 19, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    I pre-ordered Professional from MS Store for my main PC (got the download option, no sales tax) but might pick up another 3 Home Premium's within the next couple days for my wife's Laptop, my garage PC and my laptop :D

11. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I might pre-order pro, still on the fence whether to do it now or wait.

Why are you guys holding out for Ultimate out of curiosity? This time round it seems like a rip off for most as it just has more language support and Bitlocker...which can be duplicated easily by truecrypt and most dont use anyways.

Cheapest price is at MicroCenter in the store, they have it for $40 and $90 (home/pro).

12. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    3 copies on order..
    don't need more than the home premium..
    at $50 it is doable here.. more than that and I would just stay at what I have.

13. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    Here's a good link to a article describing the differences in each edition of Win 7. I don't see much in Ultimate that I would need over Pro.

14. solmakou

solmakou Legend

Mar 6, 2009
    If it came with an extra version of solitaire and it was called ultimate I would install the ultimate :D Honestly I haven't looked at the various versions of Windows 7 and will probably only install the top tier.

15. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    These upgrade discs have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions? I'm going to assume that they do...

16. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    Yes they do, and the license code will work for either one.

17. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    The article I referenced above lists the following in the Home Premium edition: "and some premium games (Chess Titans, Hearts, Internet Backgammon, Internet Checkers, Internet Spades, and Mahjong Titans."

18. drded

drded Godfather

Aug 22, 2006
    Tucson, AZ
    I didn't see anything I needed above the Home Premium so ordered updates for all 4 home machines from Amazon.

Don't know why Best Buy insists on charging sales tax. Lost my business because of it.

Dave

19. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I definitely want the Pro version, simply for the "XP Mode".

20. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Probably because Best Buy has local, physical presence in every state and thereby is required to. Amazon has no physical presence other than in The Matrix. :)

Cheers,
    Tom