DBSTalk Forum banner

Pre-wire RG6 question - SolidSignal connectors or Digi - Com?

2K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  carl6 
#1 ·
So I'm building a new house (actually converting a pole-barn into a house). I'm gonna pre-wire everything myself for CAT6 for Network and RG6 for DTV. I'm thiking about going with SolidSignal brand Quad Sheilded RG6 with solid copper core:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=13&p=SSCBLQ&d=Solid-Signal-Custom-Cable-Lengths-RG6-Quad-Shielded-with-High-Quality-Solid-Signal-Connectors-%2835-Feet%29&c=RG-6%20Cut-to-Length&sku=

SoildSignal's website says this can be optioned with DIgi-Com connectors instead of the default SolidSignal ones. Should I do that? And if so HOW? There doesn't seem to be any option box/drop-down to specify the digi-com connectors? Would I have to place the order over the phone instead of online? That seems silly!

What do you all think? I will have a total of 3 home runs to wire...probably a 65 foot, a 25 foot and a 35 foot. Havent taken exact measurements yet but I will. These will go inside to wall plates (screw in behind type) and outside thru a PVC pipe to the location near the building where I want the dish pole mounted and the splitter wall mounted. Line of site appears 100% clear.

#2 ·
To be honest a quality compression connector is all you need. DirecTV approved is strictly policy and quality control for installers. That said I personally do use the Digicon and think they are a great connector (I dont work for DirecTV) but I have no experience with the SS connector. Reading the specs it looks decent. For the ordering it looks like you will ahve to call rather than order online, I have done a fair amount of business with Solid Signal and their phone people have always been good.

#3 ·
Do not install connectors you will be wasting your money as the DirecTV tech will most likely replace them. just run the cable and leave unterminated and let DirecTV install them

#4 ·
Well the walls will be sealed up long before I call DTV...and as for the outside leads - you're telling me if he sees digi-con connectors in place he will lop them off and start over????

#5 ·
WebHobbit said:
Well the walls will be sealed up long before I call DTV...and as for the outside leads - you're telling me if he sees digi-con connectors in place he will lop them off and start over????
The ouside ones - YES. Because if the Job gets Q&A'd He will 50% of the pay for the job Because he didn't use the D* Approved Connectors. The inside wire not so much as (you) the customer would have to allow the Q&A Person to Access the inside of your home.

#6 ·
OK...but isnt Digicon what they use? SS says they ARE DTV approved.

#8 ·
I wasn't going to. The link I posted is for cables with ends already attached at the length you specify.

#10 ·
I was thinking of doing PVC conduit in the walls up to the point where it pops up over the rafters (accessible from attic area)

#11 ·
I could get each piece about 4-5 feet too long....then lop one end off myself. Then all I have to do is talk the installer into putting heads on my short ends while he's here! Then I get some "free" HQ patch cables. :smoking:

#12 ·
Unless you are exceptionally good at measuring, I would as a minimum get each piece 4 to 5 (probably more like 10) feet longer than anticipated. The end going to your wall plate you can connect, it is very unlikely the installer will mess with those (but if he wants to I would have a little slack in the attic just above where it feeds down to your wall plate). As to the common point you wire back to, it can be inside our outside, it doesn't have to be next to/near the dish. You (or the installer) can run a coax from the dish to the common point then put in the splitter or multiswitch that is needed.

What combination of equipment are you considering? For 3 TV locations you would most likely go with a Genie and two clients, but you could also go with just HD receivers, or with a mix of receivers and DVRs, or with three regular DVRs. Most of the equipment combinations would result in 8 or fewer tuners, so an SWM LNB on the dish, with a single coax to a splitter, would be what is needed. However, if you were to go with a Genie and two DVRs, that would add up to 9 tuners which means you would need a legacy LNB and an external SWM16 switch, which would require 4 coax from the dish to the common point where the multiswtich would be installed.

With any form of SWM, you only need one coax from the common point out to each TV location. But when you are wiring, I would recommend a second coax for a couple of reasons. First, it's cheap and easy to do during construction, more expensive and difficult after the fact. Second, you've got a backup in place. Third, you've got a coax available for some other purpose (cable internet, ota antenna, etc.)

If any of the rooms are large enough that they lend themselves to rearranging, run wiring to opposite walls. That way if the TV location changes in the future, you've got a wall plate that could be easily used without having to string extensions across doorways, etc.

#13 ·
I'll bring my existing equipment over:

Slimline Dish\8 port green label splitter
HR34-700 -DECA\ Samsung 40A550 40 inch LCDTV (HDMI) JVC RXD205S Digital Surround Sound Receiver (coax digital)
H25-100 -DECA\ Toshiba 24SL410U 24inch LED/LCDTV (HDMI) Sherwood RX-4109 Stereo Receiver (RCA comp)
H25-100 -DECA\ Phlilips 32 inch
LCDTV (HDMI) Sherwood RX-4109 Stereo Receiver (RCA comp)

I understand they will install a new dish but I bring everything else as a mover deal - yes?

#14 ·
carl6 said:
Unless you are exceptionally good at measuring, I would as a minimum get each piece 4 to 5 (probably more like 10) feet longer than anticipated. The end going to your wall plate you can connect, it is very unlikely the installer will mess with those (but if he wants to I would have a little slack in the attic just above where it feeds down to your wall plate). As to the common point you wire back to, it can be inside our outside, it doesn't have to be next to/near the dish. You (or the installer) can run a coax from the dish to the common point then put in the splitter or multiswitch that is needed.
If I have the common point/splitter inside the house (which would be my preference) where would he ground the splitter too? Or would it need grounded? The spot inside I would have in mind has no metal water pipes and is far from my electric service panel.

#16 ·
ideally you want the coax from the dish to be run to where you meter pan is, as that is usually where the electric ground is located

#17 ·
I'm going to measure tomorrow but I'm afraid that the best spot for the dish and the best entrance to my house (for the cable) is probably more than 20 feet from the service ground. I read that 20 feet was the limit for the #10 they use for ground wire - yes? I suppose I could drive my own rod if I have to.

#18 ·
I'm going to measure tomorrow but I'm afraid that the best spot for the dish and the best entrance to my house (for the cable) is probably more than 20 feet from the service ground. I read that 20 feet was the limit for the #10 they use for ground wire - yes? I suppose I could drive my own rod if I have to.
well they can bring the coax to the service ground and pass it through a ground block and then run it back to the POE. Yes by code the #10 can't more than 20 feet. if you drive down you own ground electrode it must be bonded to the main electrode using #6 wire

#20 ·
WebHobbit said:
I'll bring my existing equipment over:

Slimline Dish\8 port green label splitter
HR34-700 -DECA\ Samsung 40A550 40 inch LCDTV (HDMI) JVC RXD205S Digital Surround Sound Receiver (coax digital)
H25-100 -DECA\ Toshiba 24SL410U 24inch LED/LCDTV (HDMI) Sherwood RX-4109 Stereo Receiver (RCA comp)
H25-100 -DECA\ Phlilips 32 inch
LCDTV (HDMI) Sherwood RX-4109 Stereo Receiver (RCA comp)

I understand they will install a new dish but I bring everything else as a mover deal - yes?
Your currently are using 7 Tuners and a SWM will Support 8 - Should you ever increase over 8 tuners you would need to add 3 addition RG6 to the Dish so make room for expansion later - Should you expand latter (adding additional DVR's) for example

#21 ·
WebHobbit said:
I would run the coax from the dish to the entry point by your electrical panel, then either come through the wall there and run coax inside back to your common point, or continue the coax run outside back to where you want to come inside. In either case, an additional 20 (or 40 round trip) feet of coax should not be a concern with the length of your runs. Then you can home run inside to the desired location.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.