1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Premier Tier, the RSNs, and blackout rules

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by jwd45244, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    I sent an e-mail to DirecTV about 721 errors I get on the RSNs in my Premier Package. I now understand why I get the 721s. Let me state that while I don't like the results I am not upset with DirecTV. They have to abide by the blackout restrictions imposed upon them.

Here is what I sent:

I have been a Premier customer for quite a while. One of the things that drew me to the Premier Tier was access to all the regional sports networks. I have noticed that often I get a 721 message when I attempt to access a sporting event in primetime. When the sporting event is over, the 721 message goes away. I don't understand this.​

Here is their response.

Thanks for writing and for letting us know your concern about the 721 message you're getting when you attempt to access a sporting event in primetime. I apologize for the confusion this issue has caused. I see that you've been with us a while. I would like you to know that we recognize you as a valued and loyal customer, and we certainly want you to be happy with our service. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you today.

As you already know, the Premier Package includes the Sports Pack, which offers the Regional Sports Networks all over the country. These Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) from across the nation show professional, college, and both domestic and international amateur sports (such as soccer, tennis, boxing, golf, rugby, winter sports, etc.), as well as coaches shows and other specialized programming.

Based on your zip code, you have been assigned FSN Cincinnati (Ch. 638) as your local RSN. You are authorized to view the pro and college games shown on that channel.

Due to contractual broadcast rights between the networks and the leagues, those who live outside of your area are not authorized to view the same games.

On the other hand; for the other RSNs, since you're outside of their market area, you are not authorized to view the pro and college games shown on that channel. This is the reason why you're getting the 721 message during a sporting event in primetime in some of the Regional Sports Networks.

For example, when a network such as MSG purchases the rights from the NBA to broadcast a Knicks game, they pay a fee and broadcast it to the New York City market only. Therefore, we can only allow customers within that market to view the pro games on that channel. When a national network such as TNT broadcasts an NBA game, they have paid a significantly higher fee because they are broadcasting to the entire nation. The fee is much higher due to the advertisement potential.

Because of fans like you who have interest in viewing teams from outside of your home market, the leagues have created professional sports subscriptions such as the NBA LEAGUE PASS and NFL SUNDAY TICKET.

Please understand that these restrictions are placed upon us. Please visit our web site at http://directv.com/blackouts if you have additional questions about sports blackouts.​

2. Ryan

Ryan Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    yeah, that's the way the RSNs work with major pro and college sports

you'd have to purchase access to those games via a sports league package like League Pass or Center Ice

with the RSNs, you'll get some tier two sporting events (AHL hockey, minor league baseball, various pro lacrosse leagues, maybe some arena football?, some college sports, etc), and lots of pre-game, post-game, local sports roundups, etc.

3. reds1963

reds1963 Godfather

Aug 28, 2007
    Columbus,Ohio
    same issues here in columbus , only they give me ..
    pirates baseball ( WTF ) but no pens
    along with fsn cincinnati = reds games , blue jackets , cavs
    and fsn ohio = blue jackets and cavs
    and STO = tribe games........
    i even asked if they could switch the pirates for the tigers ,,hehehe
    the whole thing makes some sense but not 100%

4. Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    Yea, makes the 'sports pak' less than a bargain IMO...

5. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    Columbus is claimed by the Pirates as part of their broadcast area. The MLB TV broadcast areas are based off from the old Radio broadcast regions and are crazy. AVS had a link to the map awhile back.

Edit in:
    Founf the map

[​IMG]

6. ben arnold

ben arnold Godfather

Aug 28, 2007
    No kidding. I think I pay $12 for FSNDetroit and ESPNU :nono2:

7. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    If you live in Michigan, then you get FSN Detroit without the sports pack.

8. 66stang351

66stang351 New Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I don't recall ever having a college game blacked out...just pro games.

9. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    I have seen college games that are only on that RSN blacked out, but national FSN broadcasts are not blacked out

10. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Oh, some college games are indeed blacked out -- depends upon the conference.

11. AlexP

AlexP AllStar

Apr 11, 2006
    You should get MOST college sports without blackouts on Sports Pack. College football is RARELY blacked out on the RSNs. College hoops tends to be hit-and-miss. The ACC and SEC games will sometimes get blacked out depending on the day of the week and which RSNs are showing the games. NESN blacks out its ACC games out of market, for example, but often those same games are available without blackouts on other RSNs.

12. TedBarrett

TedBarrett Godfather

Oct 10, 2007
    I have Premiere and rarely get blacked out. I'm in Phoenix AZ. Don't really watch out of area teams though except for my Alma Mater Okla Sooners but I can see all of them I want.

Phoenix 85xxx zip

13. jwt0001

jwt0001 Godfather

May 21, 2005
    Ashland, KY
    Any ESPN Plus games will be blacked out. This fall, a number of the RSNs would pick up one of these games.

14. SuperDaddy

SuperDaddy Cool Member

Dec 3, 2007
    That email reply is suspiciously over-informative. You sure it came from D*???? Lol

15. AlexP

AlexP AllStar

Apr 11, 2006
    Not necessarily. Again, it depends on the conference and which RSNs are showing the games. I've seen plenty of ESPN Plus games in the clear on Sports Pack.

16. AlexP

AlexP AllStar

Apr 11, 2006
    Just to give an example of what I'm talking about, just look at today's games.

Colorado vs. North Dakota St. (FSN-North) in the clear.
    Oregon Vs. Nebraska (ESPN+) blacked out on FSN-Midwest
    Sacramento St. vs. Marquette (ESPN+) in the clear on SNY
    Georgia Southern vs. Florida (Sun Sports and Sports South) blacked out
    Niagra vs. St. John's (ESPN+) in the clear on SNY
    I expect Texas State vs. Texas to be blacked out on FSN-SW later tonight, but I expect Portland vs. Washington to be in the clear on FSN-NW.

It appears that the SEC and Big 12 blackout their games out of market, while the Big East and Pac-10 do not. Big Ten games are available without Sports Pack on BTN. I also think the ACC blacks out games out of market, but I get most of them locally on CSN-Mid Atlantic.

17. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    Texas St v Texas is clear in Michigan

18. AlexP

AlexP AllStar

Apr 11, 2006
    And sure enough, it's in the clear here as well. Sometimes it seems like a blackout crapshoot with college hoops.

19. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    i ran into an odd one last night...

NESN had the Bruins reply on and it was clear

YES had the Nets replay and it was blacked out

20. AlexP

AlexP AllStar

Apr 11, 2006
    Actually, this is normal. The NBA requires out-of-market blackouts for both live games and replays. The NHL only blacks out live games, but allows the replays to air blackout-free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.