1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prep for HD/MRV upgrade

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by terron, Jan 18, 2011.

1. terron

terron AllStar

Oct 11, 2008
    Hey All

Getting prepared for HD/MRV upgrade at the house. Yes, a little behind the bandwagon. I currently have 1 H21 (the non-HD DVR that can be upgraded) and two SD receivers. When I am complete, I will have the H21 upgraded to HD, a new HD DVR and an additional HD receiver. In the livingroom (the new DVR goes here) I have 3 RG6 and ethernet (2 RG6 for sat, in case I am not elligible for SWM, 1 RG6 for CATV), in the bedroom (the upgraded H21 goes here) I have 2 RG6 and 1 ethernet and in the second bedroom (HD receiver goes here) I have 1 RG6 and 1 ethernet. The wiring closet has all 4 SATs patched in to their corresponding rooms.

I am about to make the call and negotiate the installation and price. I know I will have to get at least a 4x6 switch (unless I qualify for SWM) and a new dish.. what else do I need to make HD/MRV go smoothly?

What about negotiable discounts? I would like to try to get my HD monthly fee waived for life.. has anyone even accomplished that? Anything else I should know before making the call?

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Do you mean you have an R22? That's the non HD DVR that can be enabled for HD if there is a true H unit. The biggest negative on the R22 is that if it goes bad, you very easily may be sent a R16 in its place, which is SD only. DirecTV still considers the R22 an SD receiver.

MRV through the DirecTV supported DECA requires SWM, so you will be upgraded with that. A slimline dish with a 3-SWM LNB will be installed (or just the LNB if you already have a slimline.)

No current customer has gotten free HD for life that I know of. You can get it for two years if you go on autopay. The theory in the past has been that in the next two years, it may be included in the base packages, but we don't know.

Make sure to also request the Internet Connection Kit, the DECA network would only need one insertion point to your internet connection for all receivers to see the Internet.

As for negotiations, you may be able to get a discount on the install price etc. Too many variables to predict what you might get.

3. terron

terron AllStar

Oct 11, 2008
    It is the R22, thank you for the correction. That is pretty neat about the DECA single point hookup. I appreciate the info, thank you!

4. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Just out of curiousity why would you replace the R22 with a HD? You could just order a HD DVR, HD, and MRV. Then you would have the R22 which will function as another HD DVR/MRV server until you need to replace it. When you need to replace it you could choose to go with HD or HD DVR at that time. Seems to be a waste of $99 if you remove your R22.

5. terron

terron AllStar

Oct 11, 2008
    I don't want to replace the R22; There is a software upgrade (I understand it is a few button mashes for a D* rep) that allows it to operate as an HD DVR. In addition to that, I want a second HD DVR.

6. nibyak

nibyak Mentor

Dec 7, 2005
    Rural VA
    I added the Whole Home DVR service a few months ago. They replaced my old D-Tivo and an R15 (non SWIM compatible) with R22s. I also have 2 HR21s and an HR23. The R22s act just like the HR HD DVRs. I believe that the only thing required for the R22 to get HD is to tell it that it’s hooked up to an HD capable dish (w/BBCs) or SWIM and have HD authorized on your account . I’m sharing all 5 DVRs through a SWIM 16. I have since replaced one of the old SD TVs hooked up to an R22 with an HDTV. I realize that if one of the R22s goes T.U. that it could get replaced with an R16 or whatever SWIM capable SD DVR is available at the time, but that’s not something I’m too worried about right now.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The R22 will act like an HD-DVR as long as you have a "real" HD receiver/HD-DVR on your account also. BUT, the R22 isn't considered an HD-DVR, so to get WHDVR, you still need an HR2x and an H21/23/24 on the account as a minimum.