PRESS RELEASE: DIRECTV offers HD Locals in Marquette, Mich.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Stuart Sweet, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    from directv.com:

2. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Well good for them.
    If I ever move back to Houghton (part of the Marquette DMA) I'll be all set. :)

Or maybe I'll buy a summer cabin in the Keweenaw peninsula - just need to buy that winning lottery ticket first! :lol:

3. tomlin

tomlin New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    And the people in the Lansing area - you know, the CAPITAL, are still waiting :confused:

4. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Beautiful area, my Grandfather worked in a copper mine in Painsdale, I haven't been up there in years.

5. whitepelican

whitepelican Godfather

May 9, 2007
    I found this article on WLUC's website interesting. Particularly the part I highlighted in red. This Burke fellow should become a DirecTV CSR, what with the lying through his teeth about something he should actually have some knowledge of. Oh, sure, "all channels are in HD", except for FOX, CW & PBS. I know a lot of people in the Marquette DMA who were waiting for this for a long time. Many of them aren't going to be too happy that the NFL games won't be in HD, though.

Code:
    [SIZE="3"][FONT="Arial Black"]DirecTV in the U.P.[/FONT]  [/SIZE]	

If you are a DirecTV customer, you can now watch TV6 on channel 6 and FOX UP on channel 7.

By Natalie Jovonovich
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 at 12:11 p.m.

MARQUETTE -- You've been asking about it for months, and we can now tell you that 
    DirecTV is now carrying local channels in the UP.

A DirecTV representative was at American Furniture & Appliances in Marquette Thursday, 
    telling people about the launching of local channels on the carrier.

Current customers will get the local channels added into their package for free.

"That was the biggest reason why a lot of people kept cable and decided to keep cable 
    and not go to satellite," says DirecTV area sales manager Ryan Burke.  "Now we're able
    to offer the alternative to the customer where they can save money and get channels
    in high definition."

[B][COLOR="Red"]Burke also says all local channels will be in high defintion.[/COLOR][/B]

If you are a DirecTV customer, you can watch TV6 on channel 6 and FOX UP on channel 7.

6. whitepelican

whitepelican Godfather

May 9, 2007
    The Marquette DMA never had ANY locals, not even SD. Dish just started serving the area with SD local channels a few months ago. So, for an area that is highly rural, most of which isn't served by cable companies, and has some extremely underpowered OTA signals, most of the people in the Marquette DMA could never get their local stations by any means whatsoever until recently.

7. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    I used to live in town so we had cable.
    Seems like CBS was from Marquette, ABC from Rhinelander, and NBC from Green Bay (though there may have been a different mix, was a long time ago). We did get channel 50 out of Detroit though, very interesting as that was 500 miles away. Also got the Thunder Bay, Ontario stations from across the lake.

There was an interesting mix of Lion and Green Bay Packer fans in the area since it is Michigan, but far from Detroit but close to Green Bay.

I didn't realize that that the Painsdale mine stayed open until 1967 until I looked it up. Most closed much earlier in the century.

I'll be touring there in July on the cycle with a sister & BiL (from Corunna). :)
    It is an absolutely beautiful area, especially the Keweenaw.

8. Koz

Koz Icon

Sep 16, 2006
    Went to college in Houghton. Lived in Hancock. Great area. I could use a pasty right now, too.

9. RSNovi

RSNovi New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I also went to MTU. Dish has the locals in HD in Lansing. Just recently got the last one ABC in HD.

10. aa9vi

aa9vi Godfather

Sep 3, 2007
    make that another from Tech...

nice to hear the West and Central UP will finally be on satellite since WLUC, WJMN, WBKP/WBUP, and WZMQ are all operating low powered digital signals that cover about 20% of the DMA over the air. This launch will provide well needed revenue and additional viewers to pretty poor stations.

(BTW, the eastern U.P. Chippewa, Mackinac, and Luce counties have been on DirecTV as part of the Traverse City-Cadillac market for years.)

Charter is going to lose customers ... They were the only game in town until now.

I wonder how long before Alpena is added. They're in Stupak's district too. Remember that he was the one that had pushed for this.

11. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    My god, how is Lansing the last DMA in Michigan to get HD LiL?

Seriously WTF?

12. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    It's not-you're forgetting alpena, which doesn't get HD locals-or SD, for that matter.

13. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    The OTA FOX affiliate is just a digital subchannel of WLUC, the NBC affiliate. No HD.

14. xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    I have a good friend in Marquette, MI. He'd love to hear this as he despises Charter.

15. aa9vi

aa9vi Godfather

Sep 3, 2007
    Burke is incorrect. Only NBC, ABC, and CBS will be in HD as of today. FOX, CW, MYT, and PBS will be in SD according to the announcement.

16. kamu

kamu New Member

Nov 18, 2009
    I am now getting the locals from Marquette NBC, ABC, CBS , FOX and 1 of the PBS channels are all in HD for the major programing. The local news and local shows plus CW, MYT and 1 PBS are is SD. So I will be watching the NFL games in HD:D

17. whitepelican

whitepelican Godfather

May 9, 2007
    Are you sure about that FOX in HD? I asked the question over at avsforum in the Marquette thread and was told that FOX doesn't even broadcast in HD in Marquette. I know it's only a subchannel of WLUC TV6 which broadcasts NBC in HD, but I'm fairly certain the FOX broadcast is SD only. In fact, I watched a Detroit Lions game on FOX-UP channel 6.2 just last month, and it was definitely not in HD.

Also, it would be odd that DirecTV doesn't even list that FOX station as being in HD despite the fact that they just launched the locals.

18. kamu

kamu New Member

Nov 18, 2009
    It shows on the guide that it is in HD. I just started receiving them yesterday. I will look at it tonight when Bones is on at 8:00 and compare it to the SD signal on channel 388. I will let ya know.

19. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    Directv Local lookup tool lists FOX 7 as SD MPEG4 on KA sat but SD.

Doctor j

20. kamu

kamu New Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Fox 7 Not in HD. :( It shows on the guide that it is HD, but the picture on the TV is not. Still better than nothing.