1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Press Release: DISH Tops Satellite and Cable in American Customer Satisfaction Index

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Jason Nipp, May 18, 2010.

1. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    DISH NETWORK TOPS SATELLITE AND CABLE IN AMERICAN CUSTOMER SATISFACTION INDEX
    Subscribers most satisfied, most loyal and have fewest complaints

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – May 18, 2010 – DISH Network L.L.C., America’s fastest-growing pay-TV provider, is now No. 1 in customer satisfaction among satellite and cable companies, according to the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI).
    In this year’s survey, DISH Network scored a 71 for customer satisfaction – a significant seven-point increase from 2009 and well above the 2010 pay-TV industry average of 66. DISH Network scored three points higher than DirecTV, four points higher than Cox, 10 points higher than Comcast and Time Warner, and 11 points higher than Charter. Phone companies Verizon and AT&T rated highest in the category with scores of 73 and 72, respectively.
    In addition to receiving the highest scores for customer satisfaction among satellite and cable companies, DISH Network topped satellite and cable in customer loyalty and perceived value. DISH Network also received the fewest complaints in the entire industry for the second year in a row, and advanced in areas of customer expectations and perceived quality, with scores above the industry average.
    “DISH Network’s dramatically-improved ranking in the ACSI survey is testimony to the considerable strides we made over the past year to re-establish our leadership in customer service,” said Charlie Ergen, Chairman, President and CEO of DISH Network. “We know our customers have many choices when it comes to TV, which is why we remain committed to providing them with best-in-class service at an unmatched value.”
    The ACSI is a national economic indicator of customer evaluations of the quality of products and services available to U.S. household consumers, and reflects customers’ overall satisfaction with the service. Consumers were surveyed in the first quarter of 2010 for their ratings about perceived overall quality, perceived value and expectations. The ACSI survey is produced by the Stephen M. Ross Business School at the University of Michigan, in partnership with the American Society for Quality and the international consulting firm CFI Group.

###
    About DISH Network
    DISH Network L.L.C., a subsidiary of DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), provides more than 14.3 million satellite TV customers, as of March 31, 2010, with the highest quality programming and technology at the best value, including the lowest all-digital price nationwide. Customers have access to hundreds of video and audio channels, the most HD channels, the most international channels, state-of-the-art interactive TV applications, and award-winning HD and DVR technology including 1080p Video on Demand and the ViP® 722 HD DVR, a CNET and PC Magazine “Editors’ Choice.” DISH Network Corporation is included in the Nasdaq-100 Index (NDX) and is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com, follow on Twitter, @dishnetwork (www.twitter.com/dishnetwork), or become a Fan on Facebook, www.facebook.com/dishnetwork.

2. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Good job Dish. Now they need to beat the Telco's.

3. Aztec Pilot

Aztec Pilot Legend

Oct 11, 2007
    Improvement in customer service is always welcome. Nice job!

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yeah, great job!

After looking over the web site, I still want to know. Who is ACSI?

5. Dario33

Dario33 Godfather

Dec 15, 2008
    :up:

6. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    While DISH may be tooting their horn; it is time to put this into a bit of perspective. Effectively DISH got a C- grade from consumers. Verizon and AT&T got a C. Charter got an F, Comcast and Time Warner got a D-. Direct TV and Cox got a D+. Industry average was a solid D. At least DISH improved from a D- to a C-.

I suspect the survey asked what grade do you give your provider. Let's face it number grades do not look as bad at letter grades (less subjective looking).

Don't get me wrong; I am please with DISH service. But in my mind, polls and surveys are too subjective to get anything meaningful.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    It's made up of Charlie, John, and some of their poker buddies... :lol:

8. kcolg30

kcolg30 Godfather

May 11, 2010
    Now if they can remove the DVR, receiver, PPV and VOD fees we got ourselves a perfect provider....:D

9. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
  10. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I agree about perspective... Raving about a C-grade for satisfaction isn't great... but wasn't DirecTV just doing this recently in their commercials "To tell the truth" where they previously were #1 in satisfaction?

Being #1 at poor service isn't a great thing to brag about... but it seems companies are just leapfrogging each other at that level rather than actually aiming for even a B-rating, much less an A-rating.

11. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    ACSI is the same company Direct uses in its TV ad about customer satistaction as well.
    Its in the fine print at the bottom. Direct uses ACSI ratings in shareholder info as well.
    Good job over last yr, but beat the Telco's, and bump up into the 80s before doing to much bragging. Granted this is really in response, to the To Tell the Truth adds. Can of hard for Direct to make the claim, of being ranked #1, if Dish is rated higher on the survey Direct is using, as its reference. Say good buy to that TV add.

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Satisfaction is such a fleeting thing ... ask any DirecTV customer how satisfied they are with DISH service or vice versa. When you ask people about the company they are customers of you are taking many different survey groups and comparing them instead of having one controlled group.

Making your own customer happy is important ... but I don't see 100% satisfaction as obtainable. Nor would I relate a % happy/unhappy as if it were a letter grade. The survey participants were not asked to give a letter grade for their company that would be averaged for a result.

Look around at other satisfaction indexes. Is anyone satisfied? 70s are pretty good.

That being said ... a three point lead isn't much. It is good to see the improvement over DISH's own score from previous surveys. After all ... in a survey of one's own customers, it is only one's own score that truly matters.

13. xzi

xzi Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    It's probably pretty easy to get the "least number of complaints" when you also have the least number of subscribers out of the bunch, too.

14. SteveHas

SteveHas Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2007
    The what index?
    Who paid for this study by such a famous arbiter of customer satisfaction?

15. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Actually with these kind of sampling polls, the fewer users/subscribers would work against you.
    The fewer people in the poll, when they only sample, lets say 1000 users, the more likely they would find a disgruntled user, vs a happy to satisfied customer. The more people in the pool of users, the more chances of avoiding disgruntled users.

I still say the reason for the announcement, is to squash the Direct To Tell the Truth commerial, as Direct uses the ACSI as its reference for number 1 vs Cable and Dish Network. Kind of hard to keep running that commerical when your own reference can't used anymore.

16. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I agree that 100% customer satisfaction is likely unattainable... but I firmly believe that should be the goal!

One thing that I believe all people and companies over the years have done... is to lower expectations, and thus, lower achievements.

IF 100% satisfaction is the goal, and you get 80-90 then you can be happy you did so well and still have a number to aim for.

IF you set the bar to 80-90, then getting 70 seems like a good number... and you've succeeded in lowering the bar to aim at next time.

The "acceptable risk" scenario was originally meant to help you not be frustrated at achieving the unattainable perfection... but instead, has been twisted to justify not trying to be as good as you can be, because you've capped your "likely" maximum success at a lower threshold.

17. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I disagree. Satisfaction with customer service is but one of many metrics that can have money poured on them. As the cost of customer service satisfaction grows asymptotically to infinity as the percentage approches 100, a prudent company will strike a balance somewhere beneath.

Such is not to say that DISH Network shouldn't try to do everything right, but it must be balanced with the idea that some customers will not allow themselves to be satisfied. It is also important to consider that most customers probably don't interact with Customer Service on a frequent basis.

18. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Good for Dish. They were bound to achieve something eventually...

19. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I think you might have missed the point of what I said.... because you essentially said exactly what I did, but with more words.

100% satisfaction will be unattainable, but it should be the goal... in order to ensure you actually achieve the best possible result.

IF you handicap yourself from the start by aiming at 80-90% satisfaction, then you've assured yourself of not meeting your goal, and then 70-80 is your highest target achievable.

Don't break your neck trying to get perfection... but if you don't aim high, you most assuredly will hit low.

20. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I thought D* was the fastest growing provider. Havnt the sub increases per quarter been better for D* & yearly too. I guess then again fastest growing can mean anything & not just sub count.