1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Press Release: Slingbox 700U

Discussion in 'IPTV and Internet Video Delivery' started by Stuart Sweet, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Jan 6, 2010 #1 of 13
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    From slingmedia.com:

2. Jan 6, 2010 #2 of 13
    sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    All of the products Sling launched make me want to yawn. Nothing exciting, seems now the focus is on Dish/Echostar and no longer on a mass consumer market. I don't see the use for most of these, as was brought up on another board....seems most of these are about saving Dish time when they set up new customers and not having to make long cable runs. The remote control device to me seems like a waste, Harmony is already strong on that market and they decided having remotes update with guide data wasn't working and actually dropped it. Now Sling thinks they can make it work???

3. Jan 6, 2010 #3 of 13
    Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Well clearly they're focusing on their synergy with Dish's products. They already have the lion's share of the placeshifting hardware market, and they've rolled out web-based slinging (which works pretty darn well) and an iPhone app. They have guide data and DVR-type functionality in their Slingplayer... so what's left? Why not concentrate on some synergy?

4. Jan 7, 2010 #4 of 13
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    There is more to it. Focus on this paragraph:
    This is Echostar's attempt to get into cable's pants. While Comcast in conjunction with Time Warner Inc. has been trying to create a "TV Everywhere" system with full content control by Comcast and Time Warner Inc. and any suckers they can find in the business, Sling is offering a USB plug ready, user-controlled "TV Everywhere" system.

Yawn if you want, but this is something the average user would like. A box the cable guy brings with him that puts on your network and on the internet anything you have access to via your set top box. And yes, you can buy receiver boxes to hook up to TV's around the house without having some clown drilling holes in your wall or even buy a Sling Monitor. Or have the cable guy install the receivers.

The down side is that the cable guy has to understand your network. Gee, I'll bet the Fios guy and the Uverse guy already know about that.

The problem here is Charlie. He's the industry's guy to hate. But if you are a home theater installer, just imagine how popular you'd be if you could give your customers access in any room in the house that has a computer or a TV without drilling a bunch more holes and stringing cable everywhere. And...give them similar access while on-the-road or at grandma's.

5. Jan 8, 2010 #5 of 13
    GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    I think you are right on target about EchoStar Targeting cable companies with this product. Were Charlie is the industry's guy to hate, Echostar has removed him from the day to day management involvment. The removing or stepping down of Charile from Echostar(yes he is a board member still) was a way to help pave the way for this.

6. Jan 8, 2010 #6 of 13
    Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Here is a picture of the Slingbox 700u courtesy of Sling Media's Press Site.

Attached Files:

7. Jan 8, 2010 #7 of 13
    Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    What an odd design. It looks like.. "oh My God, it's full of stars!"

8. Jan 8, 2010 #8 of 13
    Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Ya, it does look like a monolith.

9. Jan 8, 2010 #9 of 13
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I'm hoping someone a CES 2010 will get a picture of a Slingbox 700U hooked up. The picture's here show one connection - the USB connection - so my first guess was it's a wireless network transmitter until I read the stuff on the web site which says:
    Uh.... Right now my set top boxes (ViP722 and ViP612) couldn't transmit anything except to Dish Network. The news release says:
    So somehow this usb connected device passes a data stream directly to the home network plug built into the ViP as a wired pass-through? Or is the ViP itself involved somehow so that it's future software/firmware downloads can screw it all up?

In principal, I'd love to buy two of these things, one for each ViP if it's just a simple pass-through.

EDIT: Nevermind. I went to the SlingCommunity site and learned:
    So fundamentally, I'd have to have 722k's to use this, and if the price increase rumors are correct I'd have pay for one or two DuoHD receivers to have four recorders (no OTA here).

10. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The purpose of spinning off Echostar was that Echostar could make set-top boxes for other video providers (read: cable companies). So far, that hasn't happened, and I doubt that the cable STB vendors of choice (Motorola and Scientific Atlanta) are going to build this functionality into their boxes to benefit a competitor.

So, the chances of the 700U being useful to anyone other than Dish customers is very close to zero.

11. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    phrelin, the sign at the Dish booth says it will work with an Dish HD DVR. It adds slingbox capability to the receiver with the video being sent out over the receiver's ethernet connection rather than having a separate box with its own power supply and A/V and ethernet connections.

The "milk crate" design on the L and R sides is reportedly for cooling.

12. Brent04

Brent04 Legend

Nov 22, 2004
    Looks like a big dust collector. Don't think it will be easy to wipe the dust off of it.

13. chefwong

chefwong Legend

Jan 25, 2008
    me wonders what the WAN speed on this is. I had a Slingbox HD and even with a 30 meg UPLOAD on my end, the Slingbox HD via the internet was not of any decent quality...