1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Press Release: The Weather Channel and DISH Network Launch New Access to Weather Info

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Rob Glasser, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    THE WEATHER CHANNEL® AND DISH NETWORK® LAUNCH EASIER-THAN-EVER ACCESS TO WEATHER INFORMATION
    ATLANTA and ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – November 20, 2007 – What are the chances for rain tomorrow? Will it be a good weekend for hitting the slopes? Subscribers to EchoStar Communications Corporation’s (NASDAQ: DISH) DISH Network® satellite TV service will now have another convenient way to get answers to these and other weather-related questions thanks to an enhancement to the existing interactive television (iTV) program offered by The Weather Channel® and DISH Network.

Effective immediately, DISH Network subscribers watching The Weather Channel on channel 214 will have ongoing access to extensive local and national weather information including current conditions, Doppler radar, and 24-hour and five-day forecasts. The interactive service also allows viewers to access weather all across the country and save up to five favorite markets for convenient access to areas of personal interest. Viewers can access this information by clicking the “Select” button on their remote whenever they see the interactive icon in the upper left corner of their TV screen.

Previously, viewers could only access this interactive feature through DishHOME channel 100. When this feature was launched on DishHOME in May 2007, it marked the first time that any satellite TV subscriber could obtain weather information on their TV at the click of a button.

“The innovative ITV application for local weather for DISH Network customers enables The Weather Channel to provide viewers with truly personalized weather forecasts that give customized, targeted information to help them plan their day. And now it’s become even easier and faster to obtain,” said Becky Powhatan, executive vice president, distribution and business affairs, The Weather Channel.
    “EchoStar is a company founded on innovation and as a leader in interactive television functionality, we are pleased to announce, in partnership with The Weather Channel, that we are making it easier for our valued customers to get the weather information they want, when they want it,” said Michael Kelly, executive vice president of Interactive Applications for EchoStar.
    # # #​

About The Weather Channel
    The Weather Channel, based in Atlanta, is the nation's premier provider of weather information and reaches over 96 million TV households in the U.S. Also offered by The Weather Channel is The Weather Channel HD and Weatherscan, an all-local, 24-hour network that is in front of over 23 million households. The Weather Channel’s Web site, weather.com, ranks among the top 10 of all Web sites according to Nielsen//NetRatings. In addition, The Weather Channel provides weather information through The Weather Channel Radio Network, The Weather Channel Newspaper Service, and emerging technologies with services for broadband and interactive TV (ITV) applications.

About EchoStar Communications Corporation
    EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH) has been a leader for more than 27 years in satellite TV equipment sales and support worldwide. The Company’s DISH Network® provides more than 13.695 million satellite TV customers with industry-leading customer satisfaction which has surpassed major cable companies for seven years running. DISH Network customers also enjoy access to a premier line of award-winning Digital Video Recorders (DVRs), hundreds of video and audio channels, the most International channels in the U.S., industry-leading Interactive TV applications, Latino programming, and the best sports and movies in HD. DISH Network offers a variety of package and price options including the lowest all-digital price in America, the DishDVR Advantage Package, high-speed Internet service, a free upgrade to the best HD DVR in the industry, and six months free of DishHD. EchoStar is included in the Nasdaq-100 Index (NDX) and is a Fortune 300 company. Visit www.echostar.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474) for more information.

About DISH Network iTV
    DISH Network offers the best iTV services in the U.S. with an interactive menu that includes more than 40 different virtual and enhanced channels including The Weather Channel Interactive Weather Application, CNN Enhanced, and Showtime Interactive. DISH Network has the most iTV enabled set top boxes with more than 12 million households. DISH Network subscribers can launch any iTV application by going to DishHOME channel 100, choosing a category, and selecting any of the available iTV applications.

2. richiephx

richiephx Godfather

Jan 18, 2006
    I can't decide weather I care or not. :)

3. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    Should have been followed by a rim shot ... :icon_band

4. DBS Commando

DBS Commando Godfather

Apr 6, 2006
    *yawn*

5. talk000

talk000 Cool Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Unless it is a lot quicker than it was through channel 100, it is junk anyway. The old accuweather was much easier to access and use. This is a real downgrade from that.

6. ebaltz

ebaltz Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2004
    and how do we access it, do I wait for the info icon to show up or is there something I can push at any time? It says when I see the icon, do I have to wait for that though? I guess so huh.

7. Taco Lover

Taco Lover Icon

Jan 8, 2007
    Doesn't beat the Internet or just plain ol' looking out the window.

8. dhageremtp

dhageremtp AllStar

Sep 25, 2006
    Now if only................ nevermind it would take too long to get it anyways.

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I caught a few tests earlier this year on my ViP-211 - seemed pretty smooth.

10. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Oh good. Now I can get through E*what I can get at Weather.com on my computers. So when I'm really upset Saturday watching Galactica Razon in SD I can PIP the weather....:mad:

11. kf4omc

kf4omc Godfather

Apr 11, 2006
    I have the most up to Date weather equipment!!! It is the "AccuWindow Weather Eye"!!! Just look out your window and see what the weather is!! And for a small upgrade fee you can add "Real Time Temp" to your "AccuWindow Weather Eye" By adding a Thermometer to the outside of the unit. Most Houses and apartment come with this great equipment installed!!!

LOL

12. 4bama

4bama Godfather

Aug 6, 2006
    I get this feature on my 508 but not yet on my 622.

On the 508 you can access this feature anytime by pressing the "Select" button twice even when the magic icon is not on the screen. When the icon is on-screen only one press of the "Select" button will work.

When the icon is not on the screen the first time you press the "Select" button you get the info banner at the top of the screen that now has additional information that says "Press Select to see local weather" and when you press "Select" again it takes you to your local weather saved as your "Default" location from the ITV menu. You must setup a "Default" location by zip code before this feature works.

Now to get it working on the 622.....

13. MLBurks

MLBurks Icon

Dec 16, 2005
    Does not work on my 722 yet.

14. tedb3rd

tedb3rd Godfather DBSTalk Club

Feb 2, 2006
    kf4omc,
    Remember the window you use to check the weather must be plugged into a phone line (and/or more recently your ethernet) to avoid the $5/month fee! ;)

Seriously. This is a nice feature. Looking out the window is highly efficient, but seeing radar can help predict what it's going to do in the next few hours. Now when they can get the animated radar like on the internet, that will be crisp!

15. DStroyer

DStroyer AllStar

May 8, 2007
    Not true. 6 years ago, my parents had DirecTV and D* gave them local weather through an interactive application provided by Wink Communications. A small "i" would appear on the screen, you'd hit the "OK" button, and you'd get current conditions and 3-day forecast covering the whole screen. Then, a couple of years later, the deal wasn't re-upped and now D* has some other local weather app, although not right on the same channel as the Weather Channel.

BTW, I have the 622 and no local weather yet (besides the thing on ch. 100).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.