1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pretty ticked with my DirecTV install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Grasschopper, Jul 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 5, 2006 #1 of 35
    Grasschopper

Grasschopper Legend

Jun 21, 2004
    Ok so I have been an E* customer for the last 2 years but switching to HDTV was going to cost me more with Dish than with DirecTV so I called them up. The sales lady sold me on it and I am getting the first month of TC+ free plus 3 mos of HD free plus all equipment free plus install free plus $150 back in programing. Sounded like a good deal so I had them sign me up. So they come today to install me, of course they were late (8-12 install and they showed up shortly after noon) and we went over what wiring was here due to my Dish install...what the D* stuff could and couldn't do (I had my 522 DVR remotely located and running 2 sets, they told me this wouldn't work the same way which was fine) and they started the install. The HD set went smoothly and seemingly so did the others...then they said ok your all set and they rolled after a quick tutorial. One thing that we did was to set up the DVR in the same remote location to save on the wiring and they assured me that the R-15 was RF capable...well as I am sure you know it isn't yet (pending software release at unannounced date). So now I am stuck, I have to go to my basement to turn on the R15 for my living room and to change channels and to run the DVR...clearly this isn't acceptable so I call DirecTV to see if I am just missing something and RF actually works. After 40 min on the phone with 2 different techs they say there is nothing they can do. The R-15 isn't currently RF enabled and the only solution is to move the receiver up to the set and of course run more cable (house was built with cable TV and has one line up to the living room.

So what are my options here? I am unwilling to have them drill a hole in the floor to run the cable up to the set...can they do anything on one wire (I don't know much about the wiring but can they take the 2 cables and put them on the one that goes upstairs and then split it back to two before it goes into the R-15?)?

What really makes me mad is that thinking back they should have shown me rather than telling my how to program the remote and really they should have done it. I believe they tried to do it...figured out that it wouldn't work but didn't bother to say anything and they left knowing it wasn't going to work. :mad: Also when I had Dish installed 2 years ago I had to sign off a form saying that the install was complete and I accepted they work...I signed nothing today, is that typical?

Anyone care to talk me down off the ledge here?

2. Jul 5, 2006 #2 of 35
    Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    You could get a IR repeater ($45 at Radio Shack, $35 at Wal-Mart). It consists of two small devices. One goes near your TV and receives the IR signal from your remote. It then transmits an RF signal to the other device near your DTV box. The second device recieves the RF signal and transmits the corresponding IR signal to the DTV box.

http://www.rca.com/documents/DBS_D940_IB_700719_25.QXD.pdf

3. Jul 5, 2006 #3 of 35
    cbeckner80

cbeckner80 Godfather

Apr 19, 2006
    I did what upstream said but for a somewhat more complicated reason and it works great.

4. Jul 5, 2006 #4 of 35
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The R15 uses some newer IR codes that old IR repeaters will not recognize and re-transmit. So you need to be a bit carefull if you decide to go that route.

Having stated the caution, I am controlling two R15's with IR remotes and it works just fine. That would certainly be your easiest, and probably least costly, solution.

Carl

5. Jul 5, 2006 #5 of 35
    Grasschopper

Grasschopper Legend

Jun 21, 2004
    Yes I thought of this solution this evening but I am pretty ticked I have to go out and buy something when the install guys said it would work. I never should have let them leave without it functioning the way I wanted it too...you live and you learn.

6. Jul 6, 2006 #6 of 35
    TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006

Honestly, I don't see why you are so angry. You already stated that you won't let them drill a hole for the extra cable. If they would have stayed around, there's nothing else they could have done to make it work.

7. Jul 6, 2006 #7 of 35
    D-Bamatech

D-Bamatech Godfather

Jun 28, 2006
    Care to name the company that came?

Side note: did they not offer you a wall fisch to comply w/ the "no holes".?

Your situation is Not unfixable and your right ya shouldn't have let them leave IMO. Go buy some "leap frog" senders/rec as suggested. You'll cure the prob but it just may not be what ya want but still a cure. RCA works fine also BTW.

Mind ya now the wall fish isnt FREE as you were fed over the phone either about FREE FREE FREE. Now if ya got a finsihed ceiling in the basement area where the cable enters up stairs and it required attic wall fish instead. Me personally i wont touch 'em for under 60- 75$ for instance.(attic wall fish). If it was not and could be done from "underneath" as a wall fish. Then its about the same price as the senders. Me if i was there... i would have gave ya the choice.
    But hey like one of my posts ranted.. there ARE a Whole Whole lot of "installers" BUT there are Very very few "technicians".. Call DTV (or dish for that matter) and ASK THEM why that is anymore.

You just witnessed a hurry up offence IMO without cust care due to over booking and underpayment.. Its that simple! Welcome to the "new age" installer program!

8. Jul 6, 2006 #8 of 35
    Grasschopper

Grasschopper Legend

Jun 21, 2004
    You don't see why I am angry? I had a perfectly good functioning system with Dish..I made the choice to switch to D* for money reasons which I am now rethinking and when the D* installers left what I was left with was a system where I can't watch the main TV in my home without running up and down the stairs to change channels or run the DVR. Now I am faced with buying more equipment and setting it up myself to get the system working the way I want it (and they said it would work in the first place) or having them come back and they will do additional work which also probably not acceptable from the other things I have read...oh and that may also cost me money I wasn't supposed to have to spend.

D-Bamatech - no I wasn't given any option to fish a line. When they got here we talked about the setup and I asked if the DVR could work remotely and I was told that it would so there was never a reason to do so. When they left they were still assuring me it was going to work but my guess now is that they had figured out that it wasn't going to having seen them monkey with the remote menu several times. They never said the name of their company, I do have a phone number but it isn't local and when I finally talked to someone there they said they would have the local manager call me. I think D* contracts this place and then they contract locally.

9. Jul 6, 2006 #9 of 35
    Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    You got a sweeeeeett deal that your going to come out way ahead on and save hundreds and all you have to do is pickup a $30 remote repeater because a CSR or installer made a honest mistake. If thats the worst problem with your installation consider yourself lucky. Look back on these forums if you want to see major installation horror stories.

Three of my TV's I have to walk to another room to control the receivers so I do know what your going thru.:sure:

10. GunnySpook

GunnySpook Cool Member

Nov 17, 2005
    I've got an install tomorrow. Curious about the wall fishing for cables.

I've been quoted the $75/hr. if they fish. My nickel.

How much of that $75 does the installer see? (It's Ironwood)

(I'm contemplating some creative 'tipping' ......)

Tom

11. Grasschopper

Grasschopper Legend

Jun 21, 2004
    And the hits just keep on coming. Ok so I get back from a bike ride and I go to turn on my SD non DVR box that is in the bedroom...nothing...I check the outlet, switch outlets, the outlet has power the SD box is DOA. Great hardware...very cutting edge. :mad:

So I call CS for the thrid time in the less than 24 hours that I have had D* and I report my issue and complain a little more about the other issue. SO the guy puts in an order for a new SD box which I should have on Monday (so lets keep count here I have had DirecTV for less than 24 hours and 1 of 3 sets is funtioning the way I was told it would...1 doesn't work at all). After putting that order in the CS tells me that he thinks the RC24 remote will work with the R15 DVR and that all I need is to get one of them. I tell him what the CS told me yesterday and he looks again and says he thinks it should work...then he gives me the email address for the DirecTV logistics dept (logistics@directv.com if you are interested) and says I should send an email there to confirm. So I send that email off and explain the whole situation. I got an email back pretty quickly...the answer was first off who did you talk to? That's it, no answer to my question...it's like they were pissed someone gave their email address out and didn't want to be bothered by this new sub. GRR

12. Grasschopper

Grasschopper Legend

Jun 21, 2004
    Ok I just got another reply from David M. Hood (title:Inventory Control Planner 2) who is responding to the logistics@directv.ocm emails I have sent. He again didn't answer the question but he did say that he was going to forward the email to a supervisor that would call me...I am now waiting for a call.

13. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Dish has lots more HD than Directv.

14. Grasschopper

Grasschopper Legend

Jun 21, 2004
    And I was going to pay a lot to get it...no free install...no free equipment...no free 3 mos.

Update is that I have not received a call from either the manager of the local installer or from the supervisor from DTV. Lovely CS I am getting here. Seriously thinking about telling DTV to come get their equipment and put my Dish dish back up...they said I had a 30 day trial so I can cancel and not pay the termination fee.

15. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    You can cancel within 30 days but I don't remember anything about reinstalling DISH in the offer. The reinstall would be your dime.:) After comparing your problems to many more posts in the DISH forums I would suggest you just cool off. Yes electronics do fail usually within the first 90 days. Your other problems seem to stem from believing CSRs know what they are talking about. Believe the posters on this site they will probably be more honest with you.

16. D-Bamatech

D-Bamatech Godfather

Jun 28, 2006
    "creative tipping". Well if ya do.. Be quite informative to the tech and dont hold anything back (AFTER "feeling" him out"). After install you'll go through some 3rd degree from some office somewhere > In other wards when asked (by ph) were there any additional custom charges.. ect.. Both the paper AND the voices Have to say "NO". I sugest the deep look in the eye to "feel" what kind a person (installer) is at your hm.

Also .. im not up on exactly how them Ironwood racketteers operate BUT i can bet you *** that all that money doesnt go to the tech for a fact!. That much you CAN take to the bank. I also know that ironwood pays near Nothing (1 of the worst) and is a pure slave driving w/ disregard for humanity in its work ethics.

Try your "creative wall fisch" when ya feel out the guy. Here's another thing for ya. IF you help (ie scream when ya see the cbl in the hole LMAO) then if the guy is REAL then he'll work w/ ya.. If a Cx works with me and saves me from walking.. by golly the power is in my pen and hands... > get me? lol

Some of these wall fishes ARE nightmares and could take heck to do. So if im in an attic and you just holler or grab the cbl AND i dont have to walk.. well.. ) then well brother You just got yourself a deal!

Ill tell ya this much.. and honestly say it. "it doesnt matter How long ya do this stuff.. thats one thing i cant do with my eyes closed and NO.. it does not get easier in time". Some wall fishes Still to this day EAT MY LUNCH!

Good luck and nice to hear Ya ask to "look out" for the tech.. Nice.. much appreciated.

17. The intimidator

The intimidator AllStar

Apr 14, 2006
    Then get Dish!!!

18. D-Bamatech

D-Bamatech Godfather

Jun 28, 2006
    Did you call cx retention YET? 1800 824 9081 ( ive scene this forum put some # out there for this(cx reten).. i dont know if Mine matches BUT this will get you to the dept. you can dispearse displeasure to).. Get there and GO OFF!. make sure ya hear the typing from the CSR. Mention the name of the install comp. over and over. Trust me .. you are not alone in this either. Its became a joke to be honest.

AND no ...BUT ***** No.. should you as cust and patron of a paid service go
    through such. If it was a money issue then thats diff. But i sence nothing BUT a hurry up offence to leave by the installer and feeding you BS because it was easy on him because of your pr-wired config and the fact of your EX-322 convienence. My gut doesnt fail me either. Remeber ive scene it all .. since this micky mouse delivery hit the sky. "So if ya "aint" satified send the "steak " back until its cooked the way ya like it". Get me?.. dont let the inconvienence strap ya to a one yr agreement either.> Get your justice.!

Watch what happens when ya call that number and speak your REAL mind btw. (hint also mention d-net obver and over and that your a ex d-net cust)

I wish you luck and foremost justice.

19. Grasschopper

Grasschopper Legend

Jun 21, 2004
    Well I was at BestBuy getting a DVI to HDMI cable so I got the IR repeater as well...not the best solution as you have to be pretty close to the IR receiver to get it to pick up the signal. Is the RC23 remote that weak or is it the IR deal? Much less than the 20 feet of range they claim...but it has me working for the moment...this was $50 on my dime though.

So no one has commented on the combining 2 lines into one and then splitting them out again. I believe this is a duplexer? Will this not work?

20. GunnySpook

GunnySpook Cool Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Thanks, Bamatech! (and this from an old War Eagle!)

I've paid just enough dues with fish tape to know what a nightmare it can be - cutting those holes to find and free up a tape hook snagged on the wrong electrical wire is BAD! Even with it taped up!

But I figure it's kindof like buying a car from a dealer. His guys sell cars 3 - 8 times *A DAY*, I do it once every 4 - 5 years or so. Who is going to have more skill? Not me!

So I'm prepared to cut holes in drywall (and I'll do the patching later myself), climb into crawl spaces, etc. If I can make his experience easier, I figure I stand a better chance of having a good outcome that will survive a few years.

And yes, either way (unless he tells me to stay out of his way), I *will* be involved!

Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.