Previous Problem Caused By Bad Cable

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - SWMLine Discussion (private)' started by bakers12, Apr 13, 2008.

1. bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    I had posted a while ago, both here and in CE Issues, about my HR21-700 getting hung up on "Step 2 of 2" when restarting after a CE download. Eventually, I would get a black screen showing "Searching for Satellite In 1 & 2."

I replaced a barrel connector and a cheap cable I was using and problems have disappeared.

Since I really wanted a right-angle connection at the wall, I bought a right-angle adapter from Radio Shack. This caused pixelation and audio break-up.

What this tells me is that these setups are a little less fool-proof than I thought. The cheap cable and barrel connector worked OK when I used a regular AU9 with no multiswitch in the system.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Right angle connectors are know to have problems. If you can stay away from them, you're better off.

3. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    I've got 2 right angle ones (HR21 and AM21) that work fine BUT they are very solid ones I got with my RF modulators.. the RS ones I have had in the past are very poor quality and break realy easy..

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Even in the "industry" the right angles aren't looked on with favor.

5. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Right angle connectors generally have twice the attenuation. To find ones that are real good are very expensive (for the home user) and usually have a different connector style (like SMA).

6. bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    Thanks for the info. Since the cable comes out of the wall near my right foot, I've had plenty of times where I kicked the cable when I was stretching. I'll probably use a cable tie or something to hold it back, out of the way.