1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pricing, contract and equipment advice wanted

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Laxguy, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I've been a long time customer, and have recently ordered an HR 24 to complement a HR 20-700, and which will replace an H21-200. I don't think I want Whole House at this time, maybe never. My install is for day after tomorrow @ $99 for the DVR, so I will have to move it back or come to a clear decision tomorrow.

The undecided part comes with how much I am paying and whether to negotiate harder for price reductions. I assume it'll be much harder if I've already taken delivery of the new DVR and hence re-upped for 24 additional months.

I am paying ca. $135 for my service, which is more than the top tier as I understand it. I have been paying $10 for HD which I asked to be taken away, and it was- for 24 months, so my new rate will be ca. $125, $5.00 of that is for the HD channels "that aren't part of any other package".

Should I ask for something more or different? Whole House would be fine @3.00 month but not for install fees.

It occurred to me to cancel everything and have my son or GF be new subscribers, but that doesn't seem kosher, and I also reckon they have safeguards re same address/location doing so.

Ideas? Advice? Condolences?

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    $99 for a new HD-DVR with a tech coming out to do the install is decent price as the normal price for the HD-DVR is $199.

You can always call up and talk to a CSR and see what they can do to help you out.

- Merg

3. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Thanks for the reply. I don't have a problem with the pricing on this particular install, but it seems I've read folks get Whole House for free, multiple receivers, etc. and I am concerned about locking in for another two years and totally blowing whatever leverage I (feel I may) have now.

4. monsonm

monsonm New Member

Dec 16, 2010
    I have been a customer since 1997 and have never gotten anything free from Directv...I own all my equipment including the dish and have always paid for my own installs by others.

I too think they treat existing customers like crap. I have gotten about 10 emails in the past year trying to get me to upgrade my old HD receivers and dish so I can keep getting HD. The emails as well as Directv's own website say that this is a totally free swap with no commitment for me. I have two old dvrs and one old HD box that fall into the upgrade/replace category. Only problem is that I diplex my local off-airs now and Directv does not carry my local stations in HD so I need to keep doing this. They tell me that I can not do it with the new dish and receivers they want to install because diplexing is no longer supported.

I then ask about going to a swm installation and using the extra cable that would be freed up for the local off-air. They tell me I am not eligible for a swm system. So I decide to get the new stuff anyway and try to figure out a way to get the locals. I talk to a rep and am told that they will setup and order with all three new receivers, a dish, and mulitswitch. All for free with no commitment. Three hours later I get an email informing me that there will be only the receivers shipped and no dish and there would be a commitment of 24 months.

So I called up and canceled my service. The rep I talked to couldn't have cared less that I was going to bail. She told me that there was no way to get what they had told me I was going to get. They sure are shortsighted. They treat new customers like kings and give them the farm, but won't do s**t for a long term customer.

I guess I have to go check out what Dish is offering. Can't be worse than Directv.

5. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Sorry to hear that. Very sorry. I've been a customer for almost a decade, and have generally subbed to high priced packages, and am on auto pay, so I've never been even late paying in full. When I decided I really did not want to lock in for 24 months just to upgrade and add a new DVR, I cancelled an install, and later called back and after a few minutes politely asked for "Retention". I got good service, and a good deal on whole house install and a further break on the price of the HR24.

I also have cable (spit), and very good OTA, so local of any stripe is no problem. Can you get OTA? That plus whole house might work a treat for you.

Good luck!

6. monsonm

monsonm New Member

Dec 16, 2010
    The problem with OTA is the diplexing. They don't support it any longer as it interferes with the new HD signaling format somehow. That took about 6 calls to get figured out...nobody seems to know anything in "tech support" One person in tech support didn't even know what an AM-21 was! How can you be in support if you don't even know the products you sell???

I have been holding out for the past year because I don't want to lose my local OTA programing. The only way to get any HD for the CBS, ABC, NBC, and FOX is OTA. If I could get a swm system, I think I could make everything work that I need with the exception of one room and I could live with that. I was told that swm installs are only for new MRV installs and that I don't qualify for that type since I am an existing customer and also don't want or need MRV.

I sent an email to the contact page with the cliff notes version of all my issues. I am waiting to see if they respond or not. If they do and can get me what I want, I will likely stay. If not, I am gone for good. I have been more than patient over the past year with the ineptitude of Directv's people, but my patience has run out.

7. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Diplexing interferes with MRV.
    If you don't have MRV (whole home), you can still diplex.

8. monsonm

monsonm New Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Another wrinkle in the mess. I have been told by at least 4 Directv support folks that the frequency assignments of the new dish and receivers will not allow diplexing and in fact diplexing will result in 771 errors and loss of OTA channels.

I currently have a 9 year old 3LNB dish and a Terk multiswitch. Are you telling me if I upgrade to a Slimline and new multiswitch and get new receivers for HD that I can still diplex my OTA on the same cables as the Directv receiver feeds??? Directv says NO WAY.

Who is right here??????????

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yes. You can diplex as long as you don't use MRV via DECA. Even with a SWM setup you can still diplex in OTA, if you desire. DirecTV is pushing Whole Home setups, so in that way it is not compatible.

- Merg

10. monsonm

monsonm New Member

Dec 16, 2010
    So, one more question...can I use my old multiswitch or do I need a new one to get HD? And do the new ones allow insertion of the OTA feed like the Terk does? By that I mean a port on the multiswitch for the OTA feed...

I think you can start to see the frustration I have with Directv...I can not get a straight or correct answer from them on anything!!!!

11. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    No and no.

12. monsonm

monsonm New Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Then how does one diplex the OTA signal to where it has to be? I guess I am getting more confused as this goes on....

13. cherry919

cherry919 Cool Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I believe a SWiM 8 will solve your problem, as long as you have the right dish. You'll just need a diplexer @ each TV - which it appears you already have. If you want the locals blended into your Directv guide, you'll also need to use
    (A) HR20-100 or HR20-700 receivers with built-in OTA or (B) add an AM21 to any of Directv's other current gen HD receivers/DVR's. Maybe you can talk to the Retention Department and get them to credit you the cost of a SWiM 8 if you acquire one yourself or maybe they will provide one. I've seen instances reported here on the forums where customers have gotten them for no additional charge from installers, YMMV. Here's a link for the SWiM 8

http://www.swm8.com/swm-faq.php

14. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Hold it.. I think there may be a simpler answer.. DO you have 2 coax lines run to each room where you want HD Locals? If so, order WH service, and you will be good to go, without diplexing.. SWM uses only one coax line, so your other will be free to use for OTA, no diplexing needed....

Now the real kicker.. If you go with WH and don't have 2 coaxs to every room you want hd in, but have 2 going to art least one, make sure your DVR is at that location still.. You can always record everything in HD OTA on the WH DVR, and then watch it from any other room via MRV! Viola! problem solved... for every room.

I don't know if the directv installers would hook up your ota, you'd have to talk to them about it... I am guessing probably... But this will work for you.

Also, once you get MRV, you won't go back.. same as with a dvr.. once you get it you won't go back....

15. monsonm

monsonm New Member

Dec 16, 2010
    I have been told that I do not qualify for a swm installation and they will not provide one. I have NO use for MVR...don't want it..don't need it and I am not going to give the crooks at Directv any more money.

So, without swm how does one diplex and get HD at the same time? They tell me it is not possible. I need to diplex to get the locals Directv won't carry in HD.

I don't see a solution here. I guess I either cancel or I have to live without HD. I also need a new receiver and won't go on contract. How would one get one without a contract? It used to be easy, but seems that those sources have dried up.

It appears that Directv doesn't give a **** about existing customers.

16. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    See Below
    See Below

In order for you to Diplex you would have to do it on your own and that includes cost.

Diplexing is basically done because the H24/HR24's broadcast MRV information which is why you need filters on other receivers even if you don't subscribe to MRV service. So if you were to get 24 series receivers you couldn't diplex. The MRV frequencies would interfere with your OTA and you wouldn't get it. So the old rule of no MRV=ok to diplex is not true once the 24 series gets entered into the equation.

Now what you could do is just get the system and then pay for the cost of a SWM MS on your own. Use 1 line for the HD DVR and then take the other line that's already installed and run OTA through it to an AM 21 that you would also have to purchase online. However you could then in the future have MRV and OTA.

If you don't want to do that then there's nothing else to be done. You might qualify for some programming discounts which could offset the cost or perhaps a credit but that's not guaranteed. If you do a search on ebay I'm sure you could probably get most of your equipment for $150 or less depending on how many AM 21's you need.

They offered to swap your equipment for free without an agreement per your first post. So that option is available to you. However you want a custom setup. They're not going to set that up and pay for it. They're going to pay to set their stuff up. If you think they don't care about you then call any other provider and tell them that you want them to install something they don't support and see what they say. Every company has it's pros and cons but no company out there will willingly install something they do not support and know can complicate their system. Diplexing outside of commercial/MDU has been a no go for awhile now.

17. monsonm

monsonm New Member

Dec 16, 2010
    The problem is still that they wouldn't do the swap without a committment. This is contrary to what I had been told and what is on their own web site.

I had a very long conversation with Directv tonight. Short story is that they maybe be willing to do a swap without a committment, but won't do the dish and multiswitch too. I told them without the dish and switch, it wouldn't do me any good as I would still not have HD. The can't seem to get it that I have a 9 year old dish. They keep telling me it can't be that old....they ask me to describe it and then they just kinda zone out.

Then the issue of no swm installs screws up the chance of getting OTA even if I get the AM-21's. I have no idea who even does the installs in this area, so I couldn't even call to discuss the issue. If all I had to do was buy the switch, I guess I would do that, but I can't even find out if they would let me do that.

After the call tonight, I am thinking it just isn't worth it to even try to get HD from Directv. Dish is looking better all the time. Their stuff will work fine with my wiring and you can diplex with them without the Directv issues.

I guess I will make one more call tomorrow, and if I can't get it worked out then, I will just call Dish.

18. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    It is possible to diplex without a SWM8, but you need to put the diplexer from the OTA antenna after the B-Band converter (it is not a supported method so you would need to install it yourself). If you make an ethernet connection to a H/HR24, that should disable the DECA signal and any interference it might cause.

When I converted to SWM, I used the cable formerly going to SAT2 for the OTA signal.

19. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Here's a thought. Run dedicated lines for your OTA setup.

20. monsonm

monsonm New Member

Dec 16, 2010
    I would if I could, but the locations of the receivers make it difficult if not impossible. Hence the diplexing in the first place.