Prime Video changes (Profiles and more)

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by 1948GG, Jul 11, 2020.

1. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    For those who have been keeping up with some of the changes to streaming apps, Prime Video is in the middle of rolling out profiles ala just about every other service out there; they originally had announced this well over a year ago, but are just now getting around to it. They were down most of the day today on the US west coast, but started back up with some minor changes around the edges, to include a new watchlist system as well as revised subtitling. If they actually roll out the profiles this weekend I'll update this thread.

2. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Re: Prime profiles:

Extracted from a post on the Roku community forum:

I chatted with a rep at Amazon who said:
    "I'd like to inform you that Prime Video profile creation and management is supported on the following devices:

1. Mobile/Tablet (Android and iOS).

2. Web (Desktop, Mobile Web, and mShop).

3. Living Room Devices. (PlayStation 4 (PS4), Roku Premiere (4620), Roku Premiere+ (4630), Roku Ultra (4640, 4660, 4670), Roku Ultra LT (4662), 4K Roku TV 7000X, Samsung Smart TV (2018 & above), LG Smart TV (2018 & above), Panasonic Television 2019 MTK MT5813, TPVision Television 2019 MediaTek 5806, Apple TV (2nd and 3rd Generation), and Chromecast).

Note: Apple TV 2nd and 3rd generation only has profile switching. Profile management (create, edit, or delete) is currently unavailable.

4. Prime Video app on Fire TV."​

I received an update to my Roku Prime Video app in the last day or two. I have none of the indicated Roku models, and can confirm that the update did not include user profiles, although my Roku Streaming Stick Plus has identical specifications to some of the listed models. Makes no sense to me why they chose the models they did.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I have Prime Video. It received a update last week. Now when I sign in a page appears with "Who's Watching?" on top with three options below to choose from (Option one has my first name, Option two has Kids and Option three has New). Very similar to the way HBO Max looks when you sign in.

4. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    The updates are being rolled out by region, according to a few sources. Only the changes I listed in the OP so far on the west coast; one of these days programmers will roll out things from west to east.

5. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Just a bit of an update, a fairly large number of changes along with the profiles to the Prime roku app appears to have all rolled out, to a fair number of thumbs down on threads scattered here and elsewhere.

I've noted that in streaming 4k on roku4's and ultra units, the app will seize up when attempting to pause or scan (back or forward) resulting in having to physically pull power to regain control. I've never had that problem in other 4k streamers including netflix, disney+, curiositystream, or others. I haven't complained directly, as I have 2-3 other areas of programming nonsense going on outside of streaming that currently are of higher priority. Do hope they put some effort into resolving this and other issues in the next few weeks.

6. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Not sure when this happened (as you can tell I don't use Amazon products often o_O) but the Apple TV HD (4th Gen) and Apple TV 4K (5th Gen) now support Profiles. This includes Profile Switching, Adding & Editing Profiles. Watchlist has changed to My Stuff.

If you want to subscribe to new Prime Video Channels you still need to do this from Amazon.com first (in-app subscriptions still not possible.)