1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Primestar Dish and Switch?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by halapeno, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 8, 2006 #1 of 12
    halapeno

halapeno New Member

Feb 6, 2006
    We have been using Dish Network for years and a separate dish and receiver to tune in The Filipino Channel. But now The Filipino Channel has stopped broadcasting and has joined up with Directv. So we discontinued Dish Network and going to activate Directv.

The people at the Filipino channel say that our old 33" dish (Primestar I believe) will work to receive the 110/119 satellite signal and I have a 3 year old DirecTv 18" dish and receiver.

So my questions are:
    1. What kind of switch is needed for these two dishes?
    2. My 18" dish has 2 angles for pointing the dish, elevation and azimuth. However, the oval dish requirement on the receiver gives angles for
    elevation, azimuth and tilt. I have not figured out how one "tilts" a round 33" dish. I reason that I can disregard the tilt angle, but do I have to choose between the 110 and 119 satellites?

Thanks,
    Hal

2. Feb 8, 2006 #2 of 12
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I am almost positive the Filipino channels are off at the 72 mark...

But not 100% sure, I will have to check.

My recommendation... Call DirecTV, tell them you are intrested in the package, and they will upgrade yoru dish... brobably even to the 5LNB, but at least the 3LNB... then you would have the native switch in either of the units.

This would be the best method, because even if the Filipino channels are on say 119 today, and you only tune 119 today... there is no guarantee they will stay there... they may move to 110, or to 72, or one of the other slots.

If you are telling DirecTV you ar dumping your remaining DISH subscription, to spend the additonal $30 with them... they will probably do the upgrade for free or at least at a minimal cost.

BTW: How are those channels? I thought about adding them for my In-Laws... but that would mean they would be over more often... a catch 22.

3. Feb 8, 2006 #3 of 12
    halapeno

halapeno New Member

Feb 6, 2006
    Earl,

Thanks for the information ... any idea where I can find information on which satellite I should use for the Filipino Channel. I've called DirecTV both domestic and international technical centers and neither could give me any information. They just said call a local installer. So basically DirecTV technical people are completely useless.

The Filipino Channel carries local Manila programming ... channel 7 plus about 4 other movie and sports programming. DirectV also offers channel 2 (GMA) for an additional $10.00. Both channel 2 and channel 7 are the most popular in the Philippines. Dish Network has something called the Mabuhay Channel which has local Manila channels, but they are not very popular with the Filipinos.

Anyway, the only reason I'm doing this myself is because the installers did not show up for 2 different appointments. So I lost 2 days vacation, and cannot afford to lose any more.

Hal

4. Feb 8, 2006 #4 of 12
    Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    Sorry, Earl, but the Filipino channels, along with all the international channels, are off the 95 satellite. You need the larger dish and a linear polarized LNB to get them, and the signal strength isn't as high as for D*'s satellites (I think they are just leasing the space on the 95 bird.)

5. Feb 9, 2006 #5 of 12
    Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Okay... so it wasn't the 72... Thanks for the correction.

So what you are saying is that he will need a 2nd dish.. and one special for that SAT slot.

The multiswitch though is easy... You will need one of the Zinwells that have the two flex ports.

6. Feb 9, 2006 #6 of 12
    halapeno

halapeno New Member

Feb 6, 2006
    Thanks Earl,

I found TFC on Galaxy 3C yesterday, along with the elevation and azimuth.
    The strange thing is that no skew angles are listed for G3C which makes me wonder why a polarized LNB is required.

But the information about the Zinwell switch was just what I needed.

Thanks,
    Hal

7. Feb 9, 2006 #7 of 12
    Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    The polarization is on the feedhorn. It is a linear polarized feedhorn, which means the waveguide opeening is oriented either vertically or horizontally. IIRC, the D* international channels are all vertical polarization. A quick check of the transponders will confirm the polarization.

8. Nov 5, 2007 #8 of 12
    mikes94547

mikes94547 New Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Mabuhay was on 121 previously but has been moved. Does anybody know what sat i have to aim at to get Mabuhay again/

thanks

9. Nov 5, 2007 #9 of 12
    Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    DirecTV doesn't have a slot at 121

You may want to ask in the General Sat Forum

10. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primestar

The above link describes the Primestar dish as a Medium strength/powered type dish which is not the same as current satellites, or dishes. Have a quick read of the URL, second paragraph.

Good luck.

11. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    FYI: The part of the thread you replied to.... 18 months old.

12. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    Earl you replied to it @11:18am today before me, so I assumed it was current, sorry, but thank you for the heads up. I will be more careful next time.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.