DBSTalk Forum banner

Primeval on SyFy not called new episodes

2K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  Church AV Guy 
#1 ·
Come on syfy! Yeah, they are not world new, but they are new to this part of the world.

Or, did they show on some other channel in the US already?

I changed my timer to all episodes. Glad to see episode 2 was shown a few extra times.

Sent from my Xoom using DBSTalk mobile app

#3 ·
It's not a "problem", it's going by the actual first aired date.

"Primeval" is a BBC show that airs in the UK first. "Continuum" is a Canadian show that airs in Canada first. SyFy respects those air dates and treats them as they should.

#4 ·
RunnerFL said:
It's not a "problem", it's going by the actual first aired date.

"Primeval" is a BBC show that airs in the UK first. "Continuum" is a Canadian show that airs in Canada first. SyFy respects those air dates and treats them as they should.
I would have to disagree with your last statement. I think for a series it would be more appropriate to give the First Aired dates for the country it is showing in. In other words, Primeval episode 16 may have a first aired date in the UK of 1 Jan 2012 but a first aired date of 6 June 2013 in the US. This would avoid problems with DVRs as well as confusion of whether an episode you saw in the UK aired in the US yet.

#5 ·
Holydoc said:
I would have to disagree with your last statement. I think for a series it would be more appropriate to give the First Aired dates for the country it is showing in. In other words, Primeval episode 16 may have a first aired date in the UK of 1 Jan 2012 but a first aired date of 6 June 2013 in the US. This would avoid problems with DVRs as well as confusion of whether an episode you saw in the UK aired in the US yet.
Then that wouldn't be a "First Aired Date" at all. It would be a "First US Aired Date". I respect SyFy for not being so arrogant in thinking they should change a "First Aired Date".

#6 ·
RunnerFL said:
Then that wouldn't be a "First Aired Date" at all. It would be a "First US Aired Date". I respect SyFy for not being so arrogant in thinking they should change a "First Aired Date".
Primeval New World was first aired on the Space Network in Canada. They ran the 13 episodes of the first season and then it was canceled due to low ratings. More info on Wikipedia. I had seen all the programs from Canada and was surprised when SyFy called the same old episodes "New". I guess they are new for the US audience, but there will only be 13 episodes. I enjoyed the programs and was sorry to see it was canceled.

#7 ·
Actually Primeval New World is a Canadian made spin off from the UK show. We are seeing a number of these Canadian shows now on SeeFee and the original air dates are not US. Should they correct this? It would be nice but setting record episode type to both fixes the issue.

Don "minor annoyance but good shows as result" Bolton

#8 ·
RunnerFL said:
Is it arrogance to change a date to a more appropriate one so that your customers with DVRs can watch your shows? Who else needs that date? I think it is a ridiculous decision NOT to change the date to First Aired in US.

#9 ·
lugnutathome said:
Actually Primeval New World is a Canadian made spin off from the UK show. We are seeing a number of these Canadian shows now on SeeFee and the original air dates are not US. Should they correct this? It would be nice but setting record episode type to both fixes the issue.

Don "minor annoyance but good shows as result" Bolton
The "minor annoyance" is that with shows like Continuum, SyFy replays the show many times during the week. So now I end up with many to weed through. I noticed that SyFy sometimes does not even place a First Aired date at all causing the DVR to record repeats as well.

If I have to work to hard to view a program, I rather just skip it. There are many quality programs on other channels.

#10 ·
I hear ya. A DVR should not duplicate an episode unless it is pas the history of doing so. As far as untitled episodes I find them mainly shortly after reboots, but yeah they bite.

Fairly certain the issue is with the guide data provider not providing a country air date for the local market or logic to read ifnull use scheduled date. It is workable and perhaps the broadcaster (syfy) is whom we should be addressing the issue with as it affects a great deal of their new program offerings and I am fairly certain this original air date issue crosses providers in these instances. Ultimately it is the content providers that publish this info out to the service providers.

I get your frustration though, just in my case I've shipped it to my minor annoyance area of the brain as I have other things that irk me more. YMMV,

Don "speaking of being irked, I have to get to work" Bolton

Holydoc said:
The "minor annoyance" is that with shows like Continuum, SyFy replays the show many times during the week. So now I end up with many to weed through. I noticed that SyFy sometimes does not even place a First Aired date at all causing the DVR to record repeats as well.

If I have to work to hard to view a program, I rather just skip it. There are many quality programs on other channels.

#11 ·
A good example of this problem is Merlin. I religiously watched Merlin the first season. That season, the SyFy channel had all the episodes marked as new so I caught them on my DVR and became very interested in the program. The second season, SyFy decided it was much easier to leave the UK First Aired date and my DVR missed several episodes before I placed it to record BOTH. Then I started having to weed through repeats as well as new and just lost interest. Now I do not watch the show at all.

While Warehouse 13, a considerably lesser interesting show, I watch all the time because my DVR does catch it.

I know it may be a "minor" inconvenience, but if it is an inconvenience to me, then it probably is for hundreds of others. So when a station like SyFy does not fix their air dates so that DVRs will catch them, it does not even affect me when they complain about low ratings for shows and they should expect that. If SyFy wants to feel they are being "historically" correct by keeping the original air date and feels this is more important than their customers (and probably advertisers) needs, then that is their choice.

My choice is to watch another channel which allows my DVR to capture and organize my viewing desires.

#12 ·
Precisely the input SyFy needs to hear. Well formed points and well stated.

Don "the stuff they need to hear" Bolton

Holydoc said:
A good example of this problem is Merlin. I religiously watched Merlin the first season. That season, the SyFy channel had all the episodes marked as new so I caught them on my DVR and became very interested in the program. The second season, SyFy decided it was much easier to leave the UK First Aired date and my DVR missed several episodes before I placed it to record BOTH. Then I started having to weed through repeats as well as new and just lost interest. Now I do not watch the show at all.

While Warehouse 13, a considerably lesser interesting show, I watch all the time because my DVR does catch it.

I know it may be a "minor" inconvenience, but if it is an inconvenience to me, then it probably is for hundreds of others. So when a station like SyFy does not fix their air dates so that DVRs will catch them, it does not even affect me when they complain about low ratings for shows and they should expect that. If SyFy wants to feel they are being "historically" correct by keeping the original air date and feels this is more important than their customers (and probably advertisers) needs, then that is their choice.

My choice is to watch another channel which allows my DVR to capture and organize my viewing desires.

#14 ·
Wow! Hot topic. ;-)

How about if syfy were to put up a little message, where they put useless advertising during shows, during their own ads saying the new episodes begin Sunday telling us that if you have one if our dvr's you need to record all shows since it's not really a new or premiere episode. :p

#17 ·
RunnerFL said:
Yes, it's arrogant to think that the US is the only country that matters.
I think I would want the guide data to show first run even if it was on a different US channel for the first time in syndication. I don't get UK channels and the show is as brand new to me as the Soprano's were to those who did not get HBO when they started airing that series on national tv.

I obviously have been missing Primeval and Continuum and did not know it until this thread. How much have I missed?

#18 ·
I cant answer on Primeval but for Continuum you have missed the first 2 episodes but they will be re-aired Sunday June 30th, Episode 3 is airing Friday June 21st and 4 is airing Friday June 28th so I guess save those and do a mini marathon on Sunday I am not at home so I cant search on demand to see if you can catch up sooner

#21 ·
armophob said:
I think I would want the guide data to show first run even if it was on a different US channel for the first time in syndication. I don't get UK channels and the show is as brand new to me as the Soprano's were to those who did not get HBO when they started airing that series on national tv.

I obviously have been missing Primeval and Continuum and did not know it until this thread. How much have I missed?
Setting a first run flag is quite different than what others have suggested, changing the first aired date. A first run flag should be present, I agree.

#26 ·
I have issue with all BBCA & SyFy that have First Showings outside of the USA. So it is one of my Saturday morning chores to check the next week Series Manager.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.