Prince dead at 57

Discussion in 'The OT' started by dpeters11, Apr 21, 2016.

1. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  2. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    They are talking about him on CNN now. RIP Prince.

3. Khaetra

Khaetra Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Florida
    Okay 2016, I think you've taken enough people and you can stop now.

2 people like this.
  4. sabrewulf

sabrewulf Cool Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Just the last couple of week. Merle, Chyna, Prince, and Doris Roberts. R.I.P.

5. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    Wow very sad. RIP

6. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    [​IMG]

MOMENT OF SILENCE 04.21.16 3:01 PM ET
    Why You Can’t Listen to Prince’s Music After His Death
    Prince’s career-long battle against record label tyranny and championing of artists’ right to be paid is exactly why you can’t find any of his music online to listen to today.

When a music icon dies, we grieve with headphones on.

The first stop: Twitter, where we publicly unload our hashtag #sadness. The next stop is more private, more intimate: the playlists in which we revisit their music, mourn to their hits, and groove to their legacy.

It’s perhaps Prince’s greatest legacy that just that—listening to his music in the aftershock of his sudden death Thursday at the age of 57—is so damn hard to do.

“When Doves Cry” is not on Spotify. “Kiss” is not on Apple Music. “Purple Rain” is not on his official station on YouTube or Vevo, because he does not have an official station on YouTube or Vevo—at least not one that hosts his epic catalog of music and videos.

Last summer, in what would be his final middle finger to an exploitative record industry and last act of badassery in a career devote to championing artists’ rights, Prince withdrew his music from all streaming services except for Tidal...

More: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/04/21/why-you-can-t-listen-to-prince-s-music-after-his-death.html

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    SiriusXM Channel 50 is now The Prince Tribute Channel.

But finding anything else is not easy. Spotify has a number of recordings, but they are other bands/artists with Prince as a guest.

1 person likes this.
  8. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    As noted in AntAltMike's post it is pretty much Tidal or nothing:

[​IMG]

Which is pretty much what he would want for both quality and economic issues:

[​IMG]

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Got today's NY Daily News and was kinda surprised at the headline on the front page: "R.I.P. you sexy mother" next to a picture of Prince. Not sure whether anyone else considers this to be in bad taste. They also have an article inside that hints rather loudly that he might have died of an opiate overdose. A short time ago, 6 days before his death, he was given a "save shot" in a hospital after his private jet did an emergency landing because of an opiate OD. This from the website of the Daily News.

Rich

10. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I have no problem with the "R.I.P you sexy mother" line. I been a fan of Prince since I first heard of him and at 73 years of age still am.

3 people like this.
  11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Hmm, just seemed like a strange frontline headline.

Rich

12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    An incredible performance at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

https://youtu.be/6SFNW5F8K9Y

Pretty nice group of musicians including George Harrison's son.

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It certainly is attention getting ... and perhaps as an inside joke people who followed Prince (the artist formerly known as <symbol>) would not be offended. The most offensive part of the headline is the word that isn't there.

14. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon

Aug 10, 2008
    That's who that is! Someone on Facebook shared it & I couldn't figure out who this random dude was :). And the whole first half of the song, I kept wondering where the heck Prince was.

15. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    His name is Dhani Harrison. That video was recorded in 2004 when he was 26.

16. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Very moving musical tribute to Prince tonight on NPR's Prairie Home Companion
    Saturday evening. I was out delivering food baskets and had the car radio on - I'm
    so glad I was able to hear it.

Rest in peace, Brother.

17. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Regarding Prince's heretofore "unpublished" works, I have read variously that he recorded 50 videos, enough studio recordings to fill 26 albums, and wrote 900 unpublished songs. Those rights will only be worth something to his estate when it gets someone to overpay for them. When unpublished works of other deceased artists have been discovered, I don't remember of any of them becoming hits; not necessarily because they were inferior, but because the artist's body of work was considered closed. Part of what makes us keep listening to old music is that we remember having enjoyed it n simpler, better times.

18. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    One report said that there was enough music in the vault to release one album per year until the end of the century. Anything that was recorded will have some value. I'd like to see releases of actual recordings.

In 1997 Christian singer/songwriter Rich Mullins was killed in an auto accident in Illinois. Nine days previous he recorded demos for his ninth album. Ten months after his death, the demos were released as an album along with the album produced by his friend and his friend's band and fellow artists. Two songs on the 1998 album went to #1 on the Christian charts, a third reached #6. (Prior to death, Rich had two #1 songs and ten other top 10 songs - so his final writings were a reflection of his life's work.)

Michael Jackson's 2nd posthumous album (new songs) reached #2 on the Billboard charts in 2014. His first posthumous album (containing re-releases) reached #1. The title song from Michael's first posthumous album topped out at #18.

I can see unpublished Prince recordings doing well. An album a year would be too much and wouldn't work. I can also see his work released through cover artists. Prince wrote for others and many covered songs he had sung or songs he had never performed. We may continue to hear previously unpublished works through living artists (the way Rich Mullins music lived on).

I don't want to see the entire vault going to waste.

19. steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    Brookfield, WI
    No in not bad taste at all: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexy_MF

I wasn't a big fan of Prince, but the more I listen today the more I realise what a huge talent he was.

Rest in Peace

20. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Nick, if you were listening to 'Prairie Home Companion' here's the link . . http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/listen/?date=2016/04/23

(Select 'Prince Medley')

The guitar solo near the end is awesome. I think it was their band guitarist, Chris Siebold. PHC has been streaming video of many of their recent programs but didn't last night.

(I just realized there's a 'watch' link to the video!