1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pro Logic audio on HD channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by keith_benedict, Nov 22, 2010.

1. keith_benedict

keith_benedict Godfather

Jan 11, 2007
    For some reason, on several of the HD channels I'm only getting Pro Logic instead of Dolby Digital. I have an HR20-700 connected through an optical cable to a Yamaha RX-V496. The channels include MGMHD, SONYHD, A&E, History, and several others.

Can somebody confirm that these channels are Dolby Digital?

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Can you be a little more specific on your problem? Dolby Pro Logic is digital surround sound.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Dolby Pro Logic is analog stereo surround being "decoded" into 5.1. It is NOT the same as Dolby Digital, which uses 6 discrete digital channels (when 5.1 is used).

I can't say what the OP's problem is, as AV receivers can be complicated to set up, not to mention that DirecTV is supplied several different audio formats, but either it's a configuration issue, or a problem with the source.

4. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Press DIRECT on your remote to turn direct mode ON...I think.

5. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    There are a bunch of HD shows that broadcast in DD 2.0, not 5.1. Many A/V receivers will output that in Pro Logic 5.1 instead of DD 2.0.

6. keith_benedict

keith_benedict Godfather

Jan 11, 2007
    I'm receiving most of the HD channels in Dolby Digital 5.1 including my local channels, HDNet, HDNet Movies, the Discovery Channels, the Showtime channels, and more.

My receiver does auto-switching for audio. If it detects DD 5.1, it switches to DD 5.1. If not, it defaults to Dolby Pro Logic. For some reason, the few channels I listed (SONYHD, MGMHD, A&E, etc) don't switch to DD 5.1.

I'm confident that I have everything setup properly. I'm not confident that there isn't a problem with my A/V receiver since it's an older receiver (1999ish).

7. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    The channels you listed are in Doby Digital 2.0 i use doby pro logic to decode it into 5.i channels.

8. marquitos2

marquitos2 Legend

Jan 10, 2004
    I agree with you my Yamaha does that too.

9. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Yes that is my experience as well. They aren't DD 5.1, they are DD 2.0 and my Onkyo processes them as PL II, and I select the sub-mode of "Music" for best overall ambiance in my particular situation.

10. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Well, I have been having problems for several months so I finally changed my Coaxial Digital Audio Cable to Toslink and now my Dolby Digital Problem has gone away.

However, I am not sure as I got Download at the same time so I don't know what fixed it.

It was Switching from Digital to Analog and back to Digital and then back to Analog. I have a Denon AVR5803 (older model Denon) so I can't use HDMI into my Denon.

However, I just went to all 3 channels and looked at my Denon and they are all coming thru as a Digital Signal and DD 5.1 so maybe it is your cables.

Denon and Onkyo Receivers have been having compatability issues with the Directv DD Signal so I wish I knew whether it was the Cables or the Software Download.

I use the Autotune Feature with my Denon and that was how I knew the signal was switching from Digital to Analog and back and forth and I could also hear the Volume Increase when it went to Analog and then I would check the Denon and sure enough it was coming thru as Analog.

11. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    This isn't not correct...Sony (The Natural), A&E (The Sopranos), & History (Cowboys & Outlaws) are all Dolby Digital but ARE NOT in 5.1...it's not his cables. :rolleyes:

12. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Well, you are drinking and swimming in the Koolaid again. I just went and changed the channel to all 3 channels and I got them in DD 5.1 so just how do you figure I did that???

My Denon has Autotune and if it was DD 2.0 I would know it because it would be PL II.

Maybe they Upgraded from DD 2.0 to DD 5.1!!!

13. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Your Denon is wrong...plain & simple.

14. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Well, my Denon hasn't been wrong for 5 or 6 years or how ever long I have had it and it wasn't wrong when I saw it switch from Digital to Analog and the sound changed and then I replaced the Cables and I have been getting Digital 5.1 ever since.

That's really Strange that my Denon's AutoDetect just stopped working.

So how do you know I am Wrong and you are Right???

15. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Easy...I go to ESPN (always 5.1) and 5.1 speakers light up, go to a non 5.1 and it switches.

16. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Well, this is Very Interesting as I just got off the phone with Technical Support at Directv and asked them about those 3 Channels Audio Output and she verified that is was either DD 5.1 or DD 7.1 depending on your connection (HDMI for DD 7.1) as I told her mine was Toslink and she stated mine would be DD 5.1 for those 3 Channels.

So either you are Wrong and I am Right along with my Denon verifying that it is DD 5.1 along with Directv stating that it is DD 5.1 for Toslink so give them a call and find out for yourself.

Maybe your Receiver is Screwed Up!!! :lol:

17. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Yeah...a CSR said that. :lol: Sony & A&E are not 5.1 now, ask anyone here.

18. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Well, you had better check your Receiver tonight to verify it because maybe they have changed it from DD 2.0 to DD 5.1.

Why would a Movie Channel as big as Sony come out with HD Movies in DD 2.0???

That would be Ludicrous!!!

Also, Ludicruous for MGM HD to do the same. Not good business sense so I believe you could be wrong or I have a Superior Denon Receiver which somehow can take a DD 2.0 Signal and turn it into a DD 5.1 Signal.

19. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Also, right now try -
    NFL Network...Not 5.1
    Universal...Yes 5.1
    Smithsonian...Yes 5.1

20. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    This issue has been around for years. DD does not mean 5.1, and a ton of stuff is in DD 2.0.