1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem new install dish 721 validating hard drive

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by sugarrat, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sugarrat

sugarrat New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    hi all I am trying to install a refubished dish 721 that i just got and have some problems.

I have dish plus pro 44 switch with two dish plus lnbfs one at 119 and one at 110. The switch works great with my other recievers (4700, 3700, and 301). The 721 turners never correctly saw the DPP44 switch. Depending on which input the sats where, the 721 would either see no switch on one tuner and a sw64 on the other input. Sometime the tuner never saw the switch at all.

The software verison was an old verison L054. I moved the inputs and outputs around on the dpp44 until the 721 saw the 110 sat. It looks like the 721 downloaded software and tried to load it the HDD. After the 721 loaded software it tried to restart. That is where i am now.

Now when it turns on I see the dish logo.
    the screen says
    validating Hard Drive...
    wait...

the orange message LED flashed a few time and the 721 shuts off the power lead flashes for a while. After about a minute it turns on again and it keeps doing this. I unpluged it for a while and it still does the same thing.

I have not contacted Dish yet. I had planned on waiting until monday to talk to the people who sold it to me. any ideas before hand would be apprieated .

thanks
    martin

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    You've missed important point - before 721 will accept current software, it should have good signal on both sat inputs, ie built proper switch matrix.
    I would borrow DP34 or SW44/SW64 or temporary move the DVR721 to freind's house for finish upgrade.

3. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    How long did you give it? It does take some time when a 721 is FIRST set up for it to validate the drive and do the other things that it needs to do.

4. sluggo

sluggo Legend

Sep 16, 2004
    Bypass the DPP 44 switch and download the current software, then use the DPP 44 switch. The 721 has no idea that there is such a thing as a 44 switch because it currently has factory software and will not acquire current software through the switch.

5. sugarrat

sugarrat New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    I had let the the unit go for a while when i first tried to set it up.

It sounds like a great idea to take it to a friends house with an old switch that would be my next plan .

It just will not boot up now. The unit keeps recycling on and off and it get never gets any further than saying please wait. The box is on for maybe 1 minute before it recyles power. It stays off for about a minute then it trys to restart. It keeps doing this until i pull the plug or push the power off button. How can i get it to at least boot up so i can try a different switch initially?

martin

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Look likes you'll need to call Dish and replace it. If last upgrade corrupted disk, then no way to fix it.

7. derwin0

derwin0 Icon

Jan 31, 2005
    Could the drive be cloned from using a known good one?

8. Jordan420

Jordan420 Legend

Nov 11, 2003

Have you tried what sluggo suggested?

Bypass the switch & connect directly to the lnb's

9. derwin0

derwin0 Icon

Jan 31, 2005
    From the post, He is using seperate lnb's for 110 and 119. Therefore would bypassing the switch even work since both lines are different satellites?

10. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    Why not just call Dish for a new box...instead of going through all these other suggestions?

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Seems to me it's doable - some ppl did try to replace bad disk with success.

12. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    As soon as you open the box, you void the warranty. Do you really want to do that?

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    It's up to him.

14. derwin0

derwin0 Icon

Jan 31, 2005
    I would think it depends on where the warrenty seals are on the box.
    If the IDE and power supply connections can be reached, then a duplicator could be possible.

15. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    I don't recall any seals. There were just some screws, if memory serves.

16. Pepper

Pepper Legend

Mar 8, 2004
    There's a little sticker folded over where the drive mounting hardware attaches to the right side of the internal case, "Tampering with sticker will void warranty"

It comes loose without ripping if you're extremely careful, sticky goo doesn't like heat.

17. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    Then it is as I thought. Simply opening the box does not void the warranty.

18. derwin0

derwin0 Icon

Jan 31, 2005
    Glanced inside of mine. There is one sticker over the hard drive mounting plate. Both connections to the hard drive are easily accessable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.