1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem programming a replacement remote for HR22

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by michael1248, Mar 20, 2009.

1. michael1248

michael1248 New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    I didn't have a problem programming my original remote to work the volume up/down and mute function on my Denon receiver.

For the life of me, I cannot seem to program the replacement remote that was sent for my HR22. (Some of the other buttons did not work.) I enter the proper code and manage to get the Denon receiver to turn off, but nothing I do can get the volume up/down and mute to work, I called tech support and they gave me a few additional codes to try but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

2. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Did you move the MODE switch to AV1, AV2, or TV then enter the 9-9-3 code followed by SELECT?
    (after of course you entered a setup code for the desired AV1, AV2, or TV position)

What code did you use for your Denon?
    30160 works for me.

What is the model number of the remote that you are trying to program?
    What were you using before?

3. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Make sure you try both AV1 and AV2. I believer I read somewhere that one of them is specific to audio.

4. michael1248

michael1248 New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    What is the model number of the remote that you are trying to program?
    What were you using before?[/QUOTE]

Interesting that you mention type of remote. I did notice that the remote I was able to successfully program says RC64R in the upper left hand corner over the TV input button. The replacement remote that was sent to me says RC64 (no "R" a the end). I did mention this to the telephone tech guy. He said it didn't make a difference.

BTW I used 30160 and AV1. Only the power turned off and off. The good remote is set on AV1.

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The RC64 is an IR-only remote, while the RC64R can also control the DirecTV receiver via RF.

It is important that you program the remote for your TV BEFORE programming it for your AV receiver.

6. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    It doesn't matter if its before or after you program the audio device, just that there is a TV code programmed to the tv device or the volume keys won't work at all.

Once theres a tv code, in and an audio code that at least powers the av receiver, to get the volume:

1. av1 or av2
    2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
    3. enter 9 9 3
    4. press VOL DOWN

7. michael1248

michael1248 New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions, but the remote just doesn't want to accept the vol +/- and mute controls. It will accept the programing for the power, though.

I tried all your suggestions including trying both AV1 and AV2 with no luck.

Could the replacement remote be incompatible somehow?

:confused:

8. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    Is there a tv code programmed to that remote?

9. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Edmund know more about remotes than anybody [here] and it's why he has the unique title of "Remote Master".
    If his steps don't work, you may have a defective remote [it has happened before]

10. michael1248

michael1248 New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Thank You Edmund!

Even though I don't use my TV speakers at all, I went ahead and programmed the TV switch for my Mitsubishi. Once the remote worked the Volume +/- and mute for the TV, I tried to reprogram the remote to my receiver using the AV1 switch. Sure enough, the Volume +/- and mute worked.

Thank You Remote Jedi Knight!