1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem recording show on local channel

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by RVD26, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Oct 6, 2010 #1 of 15
    RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    There is a local show that comes on every Saturday evening on a local channel here in the Houston area.
    The problem is, I cannot set this show to record as a series because each show is listed as a "Special".
    The only fix I could find was to set a manual recording for each week.
    I have already contacted the local TV station and they stated it is a D* issue.
    I called DirecTV and pretty much got nowhere. The CSR said there is nothing they can do about it.
    There has to be someone I can contact with DirecTV to fix this issue.
    I know I have seen email addresses for some of the top dogs with D* on here.

2. Oct 6, 2010 #2 of 15
    Clemsole

Clemsole Godfather

Sep 8, 2005
    Washington...
    D* does not have any thing to do with what shows up in the show info, it comes from another company that provides that info. Search around here and you should come up with more info on it.

3. Oct 6, 2010 #3 of 15
    RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    Thanks for the reply.
    Would someone please provide me with contact information on the company that provides the information for the programming guide?

4. Oct 7, 2010 #4 of 15
    RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    Could someone please provide me with contact information for the company that provides programming guide info for DirecTV?
    Thanks.

5. Oct 7, 2010 #5 of 15
    RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Its Tribune and you can use this [link] to ZAP2it to report it. It is a website run by Tribune.

6. Oct 7, 2010 #6 of 15
    RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    Thanks!

7. Oct 7, 2010 #7 of 15
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I'll just about guarantee that it will end up still being an issue with the local station not providing the correct guide info to Tribune. They passed the buck just to get you off their back...

8. Oct 7, 2010 #8 of 15
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    What's wrong with this solution?

Tribune is almost certain to tell you that they forward the information that they get from the station just as DIRECTV has told you that they forward the information that they get from Tribune.

Ultimately, it is probably the TV station that is at fault for providing the information that everyone is simply forwarding.

9. Oct 7, 2010 #9 of 15
    RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    This show does not always come on at the same time on Saturday evenings.
    It is sometimes delayed by a half hour or so, especially when there is an Astros or Rockets game on that night.

10. terryfoster

terryfoster Godfather

Nov 14, 2006
    Is your show scheduled to air at the same time on Saturdays, but live events postpone the airing of your show?

11. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    DIRECTV doesn't magically change their guide data to handle overruns. Chances of automatic recovery from an athletic event overrun are vanishingly small.

A manual timer that runs long is arguably the best solution to your problem.

12. RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    Whenever there is a sporting event, the show gets pushed back a half hour (sometimes an hour) in the programming guide.

13. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    If that's the case it's unlikely that you'll be able to record this show using the guide anyway. Manual recording with some padded time at the end is really the only option.

14. terryfoster

terryfoster Godfather

Nov 14, 2006
    See, I read RVD26 response entirely differently. I read it to understand that the guide says the "special" airs at different times from week to week.

Sounds to me like manually choosing to record this show each week is your best option until you can convince your local station to correct the data they're sending to Tribune.

15. RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    Yes, that is correct.
    Whenever the show comes on at a different time, it is reflected in the guide as well.
    Maybe I should try calling the station next time instead of just an email.