1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Canadian and British Shows Recording

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Barmat, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Barmat

Barmat Godfather

Aug 26, 2006
    I wouldn't post here if it wasn't becoming a major issue for me. I am continually missing episodes of shows I watch because I have season passes set up to record first run and Canadian/British shows have original air dates months or years ago. Dr Who, Broadchurch, Continuum are just a few. I missed an entire season of Continuum because of this bug.

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    You have to set those shows to both not new. Been that way forever.

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    +1

You'll occasionally record a repeat, but it doesnt happen very often. And you dont miss the new (for us) episodes.

4. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Broad church is a problem. I've never had an issue with Doctor Who.

5. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Doctor Who used to have the issue because it aired a little bit behind the original air date from the UK, but for the last few seasons BBC America has been airing it the same day I believe so it doesn't happen anymore.

The other shows aren't recording, like the others have mentioned, because Tribune uses the original air date wherever the show first aired to set it as a new episode or not. So since Continuum and Broadchurch have already aired in their countries they are not new episodes according to Tribune. Therefore you have to set up your series links to record both new and old episodes so it picks these up.

I'm not 100% sure if this issue is totally Tribune's fault though. I believe BBC America and SyFy may have a part in the blame, since as far as I know the Audience network is able to set their showings of stuff like 24 that aired long ago on Fox as a new episode the first time it airs on that channel.

6. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    As others have aluded, the problem exists because the "original air date" in the guide information (which comes from Tribune and not from DirecTV) is the date that the episode first aired anywhere in the world. Most British and Canadian programs that are shown in the US are not shown in the US on the same date as they were shown locally, so if you are only recording "new" episodes, the DVR does not think it is new.

7. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    That may have been a case of the Tribune guide data being "massaged" by DirecTV for the benefit of their exclusive channel.

8. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    That could be, or it could be that the people running the Audience network understand how the guide data works so they make sure to tell Tribune to mark the episodes as a new episode (even if they put the original air date as when it aired on Fox/etc.). And the people running BBCA and SyFy either don't realize that they can do that, or don't care enough to do it, so Tribune just marks it as a repeat since the original air date is in the past).

The recording settings for new/repeat episodes are actually controlled by a flag in the show data we can't see on our DVRs that marks it as a new show or a repeat. You can have a show with an original air date of 8/09/2007 in the show description and still mark it as a new episode so it gets recorded by series links set to record only new episodes. The same can happen the other way, the show description could show that the original air date of an episode is 8/16/2013, but if the episode is tagged as a repeat it wouldn't record tonight if it is only set to record new episodes.

9. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    This PDF is an example of what networks send to Tribune -- in this case, Game Show Network does use an "N" to indicate something that's never aired on GSN before (note the "N" next to the "Press Your Luck," which originally aired on CBS in 1983).

However, my understanding is that all Tribune really cares about is the show title and episode number -- they enter those into the system, and if it matches up with something that's already in their database (and their database covers at least the UK and Canada as well as the US), then that's it; it doesn't matter if the network also put "THIS IS THE FIRST TIME WE'RE AIRING THIS EPISODE" in bright red letters, Tribune won't do anything about that.