1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem With Fox Sports Detroit In NW Ohio

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by brucegrr, Apr 28, 2010.

1. brucegrr

brucegrr Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Ney, Ohio
    According to Dish Network my RSN are Fox Sports Ohio (Cincinnati) and STO (Cleveland) My zipcode is 43549

When I was with Directv my RSN were Fox Sports Ohio, STO, AND Fox Sports Detroit.

Detroit (vs Twins) is on ESPN tonight. According to Dish I should be able to see this game because Detroit is not my RSN. Well....the game is blacked out, which says to me Detroit IS my RSN, and the only way to see the game is on the Fox Detroit.

However there is no way to ADD Detroit as my RSN. A CSR tried adding the multi-sports pack but that did not work.

Suggestions?

Bruce

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Multisport should give you access to the feed ... the blackout info may not be loaded correctly on a channel you just added.

I'm over in Indiana. I don't get FS Detroit as an RSN but do get it in multi-sport and have watched a couple of Tigers games that way.
    My ESPN is blacked out tonight and I can watch the game on 430 FoxD.

It wouldn't help you for tonight (because of the delay getting the blackout information to load) but it might help you on another night.

3. wbowery

wbowery Cool Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Bruce,

We are in Van Wert County, and we get Fox Sports Ohio (425) and Fox Sports Cincinnati (427), as well as STO.

The Detroit game on ESPN is not blacked out here. I don't know why it is for you since you aren't that far from me - though you are a little more north.

Warren

4. brucegrr

brucegrr Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Ney, Ohio
    We are just south of Bryan Not too far from the Michigan line. Pretty much the southern extension of Michigan. :)

Thanks for the input.

Bruce

5. May 1, 2010 #5 of 24
    Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    The ESPN blackout may be due to your proximity to Michigan. Other posters in NW Ohio see the game on ESPN but you and a poster in Indiana are blacked out. I'm willing to bet the Indiana poster is close to the Michigan border as well. I'm surprised Multisport did not give you the game in the clear on FS Detroit. I guess the Tigers don't want fans just over the border :confused:.

BTW: I was able to watch the tail end of a game between the Tigers and the Indians that ran past the 3 hour blackout block. FS Detroit's "HD" feed had a 4 X 3 picture with sidebars, while STO had a true HD 16 X 9. What's up with that? It's not worth the bandwidth for FS Detroit to run an HD feed if they can't show a game in true HD.

6. May 1, 2010 #6 of 24
    brucegrr

brucegrr Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Ney, Ohio
    I am primarily a Reds fan but I do like watching the Tigers.

Very few National League/Reds fans here. Tigers first. Indians second. Even Ohio State comes in second place to Michigan. :(

I hope the blackout rules get fixed one of these days.....they are a relic from the past that only serve to irritate fans.

7. May 1, 2010 #7 of 24
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    As noted earlier in the thread, if you would have had Multi-Sport a day or two before the game you would have been able to see the game. It is just a "bug" in the way blackouts are programmed into receivers. The information telling your receiver that it is OK to pass that game is sent early in the morning. If you're not a subscriber to the channel when that information is sent the permission to watch isn't saved. Adding the channel later in the day doesn't clear the blackout.

What would help is providing FS Detroit to people in the northern counties of Indiana and Detroit where the Tigers are considered "home". Provide it as a normal RSN instead of Multi-sport. It would be better than FS Midwest with all of it's blackouts for Cincinnati and St Louis teams for viewers in my area.

8. May 1, 2010 #8 of 24
    la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    bruce according to mlb.com and their blackout page.

when i put 43549 in you are blacked out of these teams

The below-listed Club(s) is within the searched home television territory, and MLB.TV is subject to blackout for all regular season live games for these Club(s):
    •Detroit Tigers
    •Cincinnati Reds
    •Cleveland Indians

so you should get FSN OHIO FSN CINCINNATI FSN DETROIT STO.

you may want to provide dish network with the following info.

you should also speak to a Manager or supervisor not some regular operator.

9. May 1, 2010 #9 of 24
    brucegrr

brucegrr Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Ney, Ohio
    Their answer is: To get the Detroit RSN I must subscribe to the multisports package. Directv does the same thing. They make their customers subscribe to choice extra to get the Detroit RSN.

So it seems even tho I should get Detroit as part of my regular package I must pay 5.99 a month to get it.

Bruce

10. brucegrr

brucegrr Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Ney, Ohio
    Thanks for the info. I will try adding it again and giving it a few days.

Bruce

11. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    bruce you must be apart of the america top 120. which is 39.99 amo the next package up is the america top 120 + with sports netwok.

So yes by doing that you will get fsn detroit.

12. brucegrr

brucegrr Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Ney, Ohio
    I am on the Top 200 plan. When I use the link on the Top 120+ to see what my RSN's are it does not include Detroit.

Bruce

13. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    oh then thats a problem. because if you order the sports pack and your allowed if they dont have FS det as your rsn then even with the sports pack they might black you out.

I would call and talk to them on monday when a real manager and executives are in.

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    No ...

America's Top 120 includes no RSNs ... so if he (or any other customer) had AT120 he wouldn't get any local RSN or be eligible for the Multi-Sport add-on.

America's Top 120 Plus (or above) adds local RSNs ... but not all local RSNs. Neither DISH nor DirecTV sells you RSNs based on blackout rules. They have their own definitions of what RSNs you get before paying for MultiSport.

In Bruce's town (and mine) FS Detroit is NOT included in AT120+/AT200/AT250/AEP. His (and my) not getting the channel is just the way DISH (and DirecTV) has decided to sell FS Detroit. Type an address from his town (or mine) into DISH's system and you'll see.

Blackout rules are separate from distribution. I wish DISH would include in the basic packages all RSNs that have non-blacked out games but that isn't the way they sell the channels. FS Detroit is not available to Bruce nor I without Multi-Sport. But once we pay the extra for Multi-Sport we can get the games. Subject to the same blackout rules as the rest of the area considered "home" for the Tigers.

15. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    All I'm saying is according to mlb.com you are in the market for detroit tigers.

So You and he Have a legitimate point of arguing for that RSN. they have to provide it.

have either of you spoke to a manager or executive and provided the proof?

let me ask you another question if you ordered a sports package would it black you out of detroit games?

16. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    As previously stated twice in this thread, the blacked out games on ESPN that were on FS Detroit are NOT blacked out on FS Detroit.

One just has to subscribe to Multi-Sport to get access to the FS Detroit feed.

MLB does not control who gets what FS sports channels in their packages. MLB controls blackouts on those feeds, not the availability of the feeds (otherwise DISH customers would get YES based on the order of MLB instead of DISH reaching an agreement with the channel).

17. brucegrr

brucegrr Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Ney, Ohio
    According to what I have read here so far, and adding what the CSR told me, adding the multisports pack would give me the Detroit RSN. In other words I have to pay 5.99 for one channel. Directv does the same. I would then be able to watch the Tigers games. If I did this just for the baseball season it would cost me about 46.00 to watch whatever games the Tigers televise.

Logistically I am 2 1/2 hours or so from Detroit (121 miles) and Cleveland (168 miles). Close to 3 1/2 hours from Cincinnati. (183 miles)

18. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    And that's still cheaper than a ticket, a beer and a hot dog.

19. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    oh ok, that is a good deal then.

20. brucegrr

brucegrr Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Ney, Ohio
    added Fox Sports Detroit via the multisports package. Waited 2 days. Still unable to see games. Called Dish again. Nothing they can do...They win :(