1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with my New HR-24 DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Michael - AZ, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael - AZ

Michael - AZ New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Hello everyone,

I posted the write-up below on the High Definition forum, but thought I should also post it here, since this is a specific section for DVR issues.

I've had several discussions within the last few days with DirecTV Customer Support (and by the way, they have all been extremely cordial and helpful) regarding three issues with my new HR-24-500, which was just activated last month.

Guess I should first describe the problems I've been having:

1. On occasion, I will change channels, or play something that I have already recorded, and I will see the right third of my screen completely black (and the left two-thirds of the screen will show a partial view of the program). If I'm watching a live program, if I change channels and come back to the original program, the problem disappears. If it was a recorded program, if I exit to live programming and come back to the recorded program, the problem disappears. This never happens with my HR-22 DVR in the other room.

2. When watching a TV program and I switch to the music channels, I see the screen saver which shows the song and the performer, but the sound will be muted. When this happens, the only thing that fixes the issue is to go through the DVR re-set process. When this is happening, my HR-22 DVR in the other room is working perfectly on the music channels.

3. Today, my HR-24 picture froze and showed the 771 signal (looking for satellite). At the same time, my HR-22 was not having any problem. I had to re-set the HR-24, and this fixed the 771 problem.

I called Customer Support yesterday, and they told me that they have had problem #1 (above) reported to them, and their recommendation was to re-format the HR-24 hard drive. Since I will lose all my recorded programs when I re-format, I am putting this off until Sunday, since I have a couple things recorded that will not be repeating any time soon, so I have to watch them before I re-format.

When I asked C.S. if re-formatting will also resolve problem #2, C.S. was uncertain if that would be resolved by the re-format. Regarding problem #3, C.S. told me that it was not unusual for one DVR to show 771, while another DVR in the same house did not. Like problem #2, they are uncertain if re-formatting the hard drive will take care of this problem.

So.....I'm writing this to see if anyone else out there has experienced any of these same issues. Since I have the protection plan, if the re-format does not work, DirecTV will replace my HR-24 (their words). I specifically asked if I would receive another HR-24 if mine had to be replaced, and they assured me that I would, since I already have one. I really like the improvements to things like speedy channel changing and quick re-sets on the HR-24.....along with the design and smaller size. Of course, I don't like these new problems, which may be peculiar to the HR-24, but we'll what happens.

So......has anyone out there experienced any of these issues? If so, did re-formatting the hard drive resolve the issues for you?

Thanks - Mike

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I haven't experienced these problems, but I do know that you can't "re-format" them either. The steps that used to re-format a drive, now only do a disk scan and leave everything still there.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    @VOS:
    My guess is that the "reformat" is just a Reset All.

@Michael:
    I really don't think that will solve any of these issues. With regard to the 771 error, can you post your signal strengths? Some receivers are more sensitive to bad signal strengths than others. It could be that your dish just needs to be aligned.

- Merg

4. johnp37

johnp37 Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Central NJ
    I have experienced zero problems with both my HR24-500 receivers, now going on 2 months of operation. My H24s also working flawlessly.

5. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Well, good for you. That makes one of us. Thanks for proving that at least one customer has no problems, although I fail to see how that is relevant to anything here.

6. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    It seems unlikely that a "reformat" (in DTV terms) would fix problem 1; the exit and do-over seems to prove that the programs are OK on the HDD, and that it is a matter of the DVR OS being able to correctly read the pixel map metadata and display it properly.

Even more questionable is that as a fix for #2, as a reset fixes that, indicating it is something such as a service in the OS that spontaneously quits or goes stupid. The music channels are live and probably do not even hit the HDD, after all. Programs that have not had trick play effects done (which includes all programs directly after a channel change) are viewed live and not through the HDD, making an even more-compelling case against a HDD reformat as a fix for #1 as well as #2.

And I have even less confidence in that as a fix for #3. That is usually a LNB/switch issue. If not that, probably an OS issue.

When I hear a repeating "bump...bump...bump" from what is obviously the front tire, I usually don't approach the problem by fixing the tire on the rear first. Bottom line, I don't want to sound like a foil-hat conspiracy theorist, but this sounds like a case of a CSR that doesn't have a clue how to fix your problem and is asking you to do invasive recording-destroying measures that are not likely necessary. Of course that is only an educated guess. I could be wrong; the CSR could be right. My gut says no.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    While we might sometimes have slight semantic arguments, I'd side with your gut on this one, TomCat! :)

8. NaperDan

NaperDan Legend

Jun 8, 2009
    Your new HR24 needs to be replaced. Re problem #1 - think of your unit as a small computer. It is. Your video output just goes to your TV. There are only two reasons for the trouble: the TV (unlikely), or the graphics/video card in the unit. Resetting may help, but it will only be temporary. The HDD has NOTHING to do with video output other than freezes, pixelation, or skipping. #2 in addition to #1 makes me believe that you may have a bad motherboard. A bad motherboard will also cause problems with video output since EVERYTHING travels through it. #3 is just the icing on the cake.

Tomcat is right on.

9. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    Rereading my post, while it indicated that the CSR might be off base, it really wasn't helpful beyond that, for which I apologize. As a new subscriber, you may not have navigated this particular mine field before. Maybe this will help:

FWIW, I would call and get another tech and once he consuslts the notes of your previous call, simply mention that "these don't really seem like HDD issues, do they?" I think to a tech who is savvy, they probably don't and they will agree with you. You may have to present my arguments, but gently, as the last thing DTV techs like is to be shown up or that their expertise is considered unworthy. Smart or stupid, they each still have the power to make your life easier, or miserable.

Presented properly, the new tech may see the light and might offer alternative solutions. If the techs present a united front (of stupid) you may be compelled to either do their little "reformat", sadly enough, or at least to tell them that you did. Then you call back later with "OK, that didn't really work, so what's next?" at which point you may end up swapping out your receiver.

10. Michael - AZ

Michael - AZ New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Reading all of your posts kind of reinforces what I had been suspecting (i.e., my HR-24 needs to be replaced). I was planning on doing the reformat on Sunday, but my inner-self is telling me that I should heed the advice of one of you and make another call before that (and talk to a different CS), and report that the reformat did NOT resolve the problems. They have already told me that if this reformatting did not work, then they would most likely be shipping me another unit through the Protection Plan.

Hearing that from them, I also was insistent that if we ended up having to do that, then I definitely would want another HR-24 in its place. They told that their policy is to replace a DVR with another of the same model number, when they do a replacement through the Protection Plan. Hope that statement was correct.

I'll let everyone how this turns out.

Thanks again,

Mike :)

11. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    Michael, our suggestions may not be the final word, and may also not be definitive. There isn't enough hard evidence to be completely sure. If you are going to accept replacement anyway, doing the "reformat" probably could not hurt anything. As long as there is a point where you are willing to give up the programming on the HDD (either through a swap or by reformat), you could just as well do the reformat at that point. It may actually work ( I have grave doubts, however), and it would also harmlessly satisfy DTV's suggested policy, whether correct or not.

Good luck just the same.

12. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    Mike,

You may have came across this post while researching your issue: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2570435#post2570435

I don't know if if this applies to your setup. You've listed a HR22 & HR24. Have any DECA, ETHERNET or BSFs (Band Stop Filters)?

If you're not sure if it applies, tell us more about your setup.

13. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Despite what you were told, unless their policy has recently changed (which would be great news) while you "MIGHT" get a replacement HR24 the chances are somewhere between slim and none and as "they" say, "slim has just left town." You would more than likely get and HR20,21,22 or 23. Their policy (with or without the protection plan) has NEVER been to send the "same model number" just "a similarly featured" model. That's the main reason I haven't upgraded to HR24's. It actually states that in the PP "contract" which can be found on their website.

http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/DirecTV_service_contract_v4.pdf

Equipment Replacement and Repair: At our option, we may repair or
    replace a remote control or receiver by utilizing shipping and delivery
    services at our expense. If we determine a replacement receiver is required,
    we will ship a new or refurbished unit with comparable features
    to the
    location where you receive DIRECTV programming. We will also provide for
    return shipping of the defective unit. Should you fail to return the defective
    unit, charges for the unreturned unit will apply.

14. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Once again: If everyone on the forum only posts negatively about a certain model, the assumption will be that the model in question has massive problems. Mine works pretty well too. I've had none of the problems the TS has reported. Both sides of an argument should be welcomed, not ridiculed. For instance, if everyone posted about the 100 series in that manner that I do, you'd think none of them worked. My bias would affect everyone's opinions. And, clearly, my bias is skewed. Some of them have to work.

Rich

15. crkeehn

crkeehn Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Except the question was not whether a receiver did or didn't work. The original poster was clearly having a problem with his receiver and was presenting it to see if any of the readers could suggest a solution. To reply by saying "Mine is fine" doesn't add anything to the thread, doesn't offer any assistance to the original poster. The discussion should be and is concerned with finding a solution for the original poster.

16. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The TS wrote in his OP that he was having various problems with one box. His other HR was running well. That alone should have been enough to trigger a call to the Protection Plan to get a replacement.

I see nothing wrong with John (who certainly isn't a person that gets involved in arguments for the sake of arguing) expressing his opinion in the manner that he did. There's nothing wrong with expressing an opinion, particularly when getting a replacement is the obvious answer. You can't have an argument if everyone agrees. And arguments are how we learn. Every time someone posts about a particular model someone is gonna post that they have different experiences with that model. For instance, I hold the 100 series in great disdain. My opinion. Every time I post about my opinion I get posts that are contrary to my opinion. I expect it.

If I had a new box and had the problems the TS has, I'd want to know that other folks weren't having that problem or I'd think everyone had those same problems.

Rich

17. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    I love you, Rich, but that's just silly. I think most folks are savvy enough to know that what drives folks to post is typically the singular problem they are having, and that those without problems are rarely driven to post about a problem (at least initially).

Expressing an opinion is fine, as long as it adds value to the thread. Stating the obvious "mine works OK" adds little value if any, and is a complete time waster. We assume that yours works if you never post about it not working, not that all are flawed and only a few are posting about it. If all were flawed DTV would quickly go out of business.

"Both sides of the argument" is also encouraged, except in this case there was no argument. OP has an issue; members are trying to help him with it. No one is arguing that he does not have a problem or that we should not try to help. No one ridiculed an argument that never existed. Didn't happen.

Concluding that everyone will stupidly assume something is inherently problematic because a few folks post about their problems out of a universe of some 17 million subs is just ludicrous. That makes about as much sense as assuming our President is a Muslim because his name sounds funny. Let's give our members a little credit.

18. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    If the goal is to save time and keep on topic, maybe you two ought to go private. I've got no problem with a short one-liner confirming that others have no problems with their boxes. Paragraphs on end about whether or not it's OK to post about working recievers is the waste of time.

19. Michael - AZ

Michael - AZ New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Hello again to everyone,

Based on some of the comments I have received on this forum, I called DirecTV Customer Support again this afternoon. I totally agree that my problems do not seem to be of the type that will be resolved by reformatting the hard drive. I agree that my problems are more basic electronics driven than format driven.

As a result of this, I called DirecTV this afternoon and told them than I had reformatted my hard drive and that the problems continuned to exist. I suggested (nicely) that this may be an internal electronics problem, and they agreed. As of today, DirecTV will be sending me a replacement unit for my existing HR-24. I asked them twice, that I would be expecting an HR-24 in replacement for my existing HR-24. They put it in their notes (twice) and assured me that they would be sending me an HR-24 in repalcement on the Protection Plan.

Again,the DirecTV CS people were very nice, and couldn't have been more cordial. I am hoping that what appears on my doorstep will be consistent with what I receive.

Thanks for your feedback,

Mike

20. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    And your post was soooooo much more helpful, and not in the least a waste of time. Apparently you are a staunch supporter of both hypocrisy and double standards. News bulletin: No one cares any more what you think than what any of the rest of us think, other than maybe you.

And just who died and made you scoutmaster? I was just responding to the inevitable drive-bys, which is my right, so I am not the original time waster. After 20 ubiquitous "Everything's OK here" stupid posts each day it eventually gets a little hard to resist commenting, which is also my right. I was trying to admonish people not to be time wasters, which was a secondary goal, so in that spirit I was directly on topic. And I was perfectly happy to leave it at that, but unfortunately that often pulls those of your ilk out of the woodwork.

What am I explaining myself to you for anyway? But since here we are, just in case you don't quite get it, threads naturally move from topic to related topic and there is nothing illicit or illegal about not preventing that and nothing wrong with that natural evolution as long as it doesn't veer off the stupid cliff, so stop pretending like there is, simply since the topic drifted in a non-stupid direction you are unhappy with. The topic drifted. So what? It's a freakin' internet forum. If you don't like it here, move on. That's the same argument the "original time waster" could use against me, and you know what? We'd both be right. I'd probably take his advice, seeing as how things have deteriorated here.

And paragraphs "on end" only seem intimidating to those who can't or won't comprehend them. It's called writing. Fact is, every single line is a direct targeted edited response, and while I may post a lot of info, that is just what it is, a lot of real info, all meat and no fat, so cut us all a break. That's only a problem for people who feel compelled to read them; say they don't want to but somehow still manage to. Really. Go read some other dumb thread; you have that power. But say 10 stupid things and you will get back the top 10 succinct reasons why each of them is stupid rather than a vague single rambling one. Sorry if that taxes all your scrolling energy, as scrolling past something these days is so difficult. I wouldn't want to hurt your little mouse-hand fingers with all that extra work. These particular few paragraphs are directly your fault, by the way, you lit this rant all by yourself. I was out. You know what? Let's just not allow you to read any more of my posts. We'll all be happier.

Maybe I just have a lot to say. Deal with it. Sorry if there are a lot of cogent arguments to be made about a lot of stupid behavior and that I might have the ability to not miss commenting on many of those opportunities, but that's just the way I roll. You don't have to like it, but you do have to live with it.

What, you're still here? As long as you think its OK to tell me what you think I ought to do, maybe you ought to either not worry about it or start visiting different forums where everything is perfect like you expect it to be. Watch out for that doorknob. And don't fret about how much we'll miss you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.