1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with PPV and Whole Home

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by daveriv, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Mar 5, 2011 #1 of 11
    daveriv

daveriv Legend

Jan 10, 2007
    Hi - I'm having a problem with PPV movies and my whole home setup. My whole home is setup via my lan (not DECA) - don't think that matters. Anyway, if I record on one of my DVRs and then try to watch the movie on my H21 I get an error message that says "Your TV does not support this programs content protection..." due to an HDMI issue - I don't recall the full error message. My H21 is setup via component - my 2 DVR are setup via HDMI. I suspect this is an issue with watching a PPV on a unit besides the one it is recorded on but just wanted to see if someone could confirm and if not if there were any ideas on what I could do to resolve the issue.

Thanks!

2. Mar 6, 2011 #2 of 11
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Turn on the TV that the PPV has been recorded on and try playing back the recording on the H21. You can also unplug the HDMI cable from the DVR in question. The issue is that the recording is on the DVR and sees that there is a HDMI cable connected to a TV, but the HDMI handshake is not occuring (as the TV in not on). Thus, due to HDCP, the recording will not play back.

This could kinda be looked at as a bug as the HDCP protection should be determined by the receiver that is performing the playback and not the serving receiver. If the resolution I posted above works, I would post this issue in the Issues thread in the HD-DVR forum.

- Merg

3. Mar 6, 2011 #3 of 11
    daveriv

daveriv Legend

Jan 10, 2007
    Thanks. Tried your suggestion but no success. I've also tried reauthorizing all receivers and RBR on the H21. The PPV was recorded on my HR20-700 and I can also play it on my R22, just not the H21. Interesting that the R22 is connected via HDM but the H21 is connected via component. I'm going to try to connect the H21 via HDMI and see if that works next.

4. Mar 6, 2011 #4 of 11
    daveriv

daveriv Legend

Jan 10, 2007
    Ok...so I connected the H21 with HDMI to the TV and it worked. So it isn't allowing playback via component but it is with HDMI which I guess means it has something to do with the video being "protected".

Unfortunately I have dual outputs from the H21 and am using the HDMI out to a DVI input on a computer monitor in my office and the component for the TV. At least now I know the issue and can connect via HDMI when I do want to watch PPV on this TV. Don't watch a lot of PPV, but at least now I know the problem.

I guess the question is - is this a bug or is this expected behavior. Seems as if the whole home solution should allow you to watch a purchased movie on any TV regardless of connection from the box to the TV.

5. Mar 6, 2011 #5 of 11
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Whole Home DVR doesn't exclude the copyright protection [as you found].
    Why would it?
    Just because one receiver is compliant, shouldn't change the playback everywhere.
    You'll have the same problem with DirecTV2PC.

6. Mar 6, 2011 #6 of 11
    DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Actually, I think what may be causing the problem is your HDMI to DVI connection on the H21.

I assume that when you are watching on the TV through component, that the DVI computer monitor is off? If this is the case, then the computer monitor is not doing the HDCP handshake. The H21 knows that is has an HDMI connection, but is not getting the HDCP handshake, thus the error message.

Try just disconnecting the HDMI cable from the H21 when you want to watch the PPV. While it is still moving cables, it should be less work than switching the component cables to HDMI.

7. Mar 6, 2011 #7 of 11
    daveriv

daveriv Legend

Jan 10, 2007
    Awesome - you nailed it. Disconnecting the HDMI from the H21 allowed playback! Thanks. Not perfect but I can definitely live with it!

8. Mar 6, 2011 #8 of 11
    daveriv

daveriv Legend

Jan 10, 2007
    I wasn't sure which is why I asked the question. That said, I just tried it on DirecTV2PC and it played just fine. DogLover was accurate in that having the HDMI connected as a 2nd output was causing the problem.

9. Mar 6, 2011 #9 of 11
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yup. I would have said that as well, but just assumed that since you have the H21 hooked up via component that you weren't using the HDMI out on the H21. Well, I guess that's what I get! :)

See, I was right it was a handshake issue though... :lol:

- Merg

10. daveriv

daveriv Legend

Jan 10, 2007
    Nah - I didn't give all the details in my 1st post. I'm sure if I had you would have nailed it right away! :)

11. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Glad of you to acknowledge that! :lol:

Would have been simple of me to ask though, too... :grin:

- Merg