1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems after last weeks update

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by 1953, Aug 9, 2018 at 11:12 AM.

1. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    After the last update the living room client will not turn off. DTV replaced it and the new one does the same. Anyone having problems after the update? My equipment list in signature box.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Please post the update version.

I notice you have a Harmony remote in your signature. Does the DTV remote turn the unit off ?
    Do you have HDMI control set to On or Off ?

3. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    Excuse my forgetfulness. Where do I find if the HDMI control is set to On or Off?

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I do not have a new system. Running old stuff and software so my information would not be accurate.
    Not in front of my TV right now, but I think on it , it is Menu, Settings & Help, Settings, Display, Video

5. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    I cannot get the Dvr’s menu to come up........?

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Which remote are you using ?
    If you are using the RC7? DTV remote and nothing works, press and hold the Mute and Enter buttons for a few seconds and it will Pair them together. Then try it again.

1953 likes this.
  7. samthegam

samthegam Cool Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Not sure what your client model is but I assume it is a C61K-700. I have a Harmony Ultimate One remote and after the latest update to the client whenever I hit off on the Harmony remote the box freezes and the only way to regain use is to unplug it. Red Button Reset would not work. The one remedy I found to cure the problem is on the Harmony change the device activities order. I changed it to power off the DirecTV C61K first then my Sony TV and Denon receiver. That seem to fix the problem.

1953 and jimmie57 like this.
  8. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    My client is the same. Oh, current DTV version is 0x10d1. I also use a One remote. I've changed the DVR power off to first, Sony 4K TV second and Sony Sound bar last. The startup order was not changed yet for reference sake here it is 4K TV HDMI 2, Sound Bar HDMI 1 with DVR last. Will test this set up in the morning.

9. jpenneck

jpenneck Mentor

Oct 19, 2007
    I am also having this problem, and it only started with the 0x10D1 update. I'm using a Harmony One remote, Sony XBR65X930E, DirecTV HS17/C61K-700 and Denon AVR-X3300H. All the other devices work just fine. I can turn on everything ok, but the C61K will not turn off using the Harmony. Basically, it's like the unit crashes. The lights stay on but it is totally unresponsive. The red button reset fixes it, but it really annoying to have to do this every time we shut off of the TV. If I use the DTV remote, the C61K shuts off just fine.

In looking through the Harmony Software I'm using (very old Windows software 7.7.0) I can only find an option to change the power on order, not the order for turning off devices. Where can I find the ability to change the order of devices powering off ?

Lastly, should I be using different Harmony software these days ?

10. jpenneck

jpenneck Mentor

Oct 19, 2007
    Well, I answered my own question about the software. I upgraded to the MyHarmony software and found the option to change the way devices are powered off. After moving the C61K to be the first device being powered off, it finally solved my problem. I was messing around with this for hours!

Glad I found this thread and a BIG thank you to "samthegam" for his solution.

jimmie57 likes this.
  11. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    Indeed the solution is to move the C61K to be the first device powered off. Thanks samthegam!

12. mechman

mechman Legend

Apr 29, 2006
    I have done this and it hasn't solved it. It seems like every now and then things will work properly - call it a fluke. But 85% of the time I have to rest the C61K.

13. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    Using your remote change the order to power off. Be sure to take notes so when you find the correct order you can set it.

14. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    Unbelievable!

After solving the DVR turn off problem I discovered a power up issue with our 4K DVD. How could this happen? Well, by changing the power on order it was not long before the correct sequence was found. DVD power off sequence was not of any concern. Sure would like to know how a DirecTV update made such a mess of things.

15. Bribom

Bribom New Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Ok, so apparently after this latest update, my c61 client will no longer turn on, its like it crashes, and the only way to get it to turn on is to unplug it and plug it back in. I have a harmony remote which turns on my sony tv, denon reciever, and the directv as an activity. This has worked for years with no problems, now all of a sudden, the directv won't turn on. When i hit the activity button, the lights on the box come on, but i never get a signal from the box. Anyone else experiencing this?

16. samthegam

samthegam Cool Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Yes for some odd reason the C61K crashes when using the "off" button on Harmony remote. The solution to the problem is to adjust in your activity the power off sequence. First device to be turned off should be the DIRECTV DVR, then SONY TV, DENON AVR. I am not sure if this issue is exclusive to having a C61K with a Sony 4K TV & Denon AVR.

1953 likes this.
  17. bmcleod

bmcleod Mentor

May 13, 2006
    California...
    Ooh ... something to look forward too! :)

1953 likes this.
  18. Bribom

Bribom New Member

Sep 26, 2007
    This has to be some kind of joke by Directv, I mean, the software has never been great, but this is next level terrible. I have to reprogram my remote i've been using for who knows how long because they can't engineer software for proprietary equipment that their entire customer base uses. This must be where you get a job as a software engineer when you graduate at the bottom of your class and didn't get hired by Microsoft, Google, or Apple or something.

1953 likes this.
  19. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    I called DTV Tech Agent today and provided all the information that I have posted on this subject. The Tech said she would pass it on. I'm at a loss as to what to do to get DTV to act on this issue. The only other method is to call retention. What do you suggest we can do to have the update fiasco examined?

20. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    We are talking about the third party Harmony remote. Does the entire customer base have Harmony remotes? Did the change affect DIRECTV remotes?

As for the "fix" (other than following the instructions provided above) three things need to happen.
    1) Someone testing new software needs to have the same combination of equipment as the people now having problems
    2) The person testing needs to notice that a problem was introduced
    3) DIRECTV needs to recognize the problem as one that needs to be fixed

With a third party device (Harmony remote) a third party fix (changing the power off order) seems appropriate. Yes, it is frustrating when a third party device stops working because of an update - but how would DIRECTV ever release another software update (including desired bug fixes) without testing every esoteric combination of equipment if they did not focus on the main thing: making their products work with their products and services?

1953 likes this.