1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems Changing Channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by VaJim, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Oct 2, 2009 #1 of 41
    VaJim

VaJim Godfather

Jul 26, 2006
    Virginia...
    I know there's been lots of discussion about slowness in the guide and the overall HR-2X performance. To that I would like to offer 'unresponsive remote'. At first, several weeks ago when my wife noticed it, I thought it was operator error. :lol: Then we got the latest software update. No improvement. Last night I tried to change the channel to 362. Pressed 3....nothing...tried again...nothing...then it started to change me to channel 3, not giving me the chance to complete the full channel number. :nono:

I know in the past when your batteries were low you would get a message on the screen they advised you to change them. Is that still the case? Although I don't think this problem has anything to do with low batteries. Slow guide operation is one thing, but unresponsive remote is a death sentence!:eek2:

Note: The remote is 18 months old.

2. Oct 2, 2009 #2 of 41
    johnp37

johnp37 Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Central NJ
    Have had the same problem for some time now on my HR21-100 both before and after 34c. For example I want 639. First press, nothing, press 639 in succession and I get 66. Another press, 6399. After a few attempts it kicks in correctly. Very frustrating. Yes, the the batteries are fresh.

3. Oct 2, 2009 #3 of 41
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Morning John,

Got the remote in IR or RF? I don't have that problem with any of my HRs. That 21-100...

Rich

4. Oct 2, 2009 #4 of 41
    jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    I've been having the same issue, but I'm using a Harmony remote that's several years old and I just assumed the remote was getting wonky.

5. Oct 2, 2009 #5 of 41
    AreBee

AreBee AllStar

Jan 17, 2005
    I have the same issue with my HR 23-700 with a Harmony One and my HR21-100 with the original remote in RF mode. I can rarely get three numbers punched in correctly.

I know this is NOT a remote problem because when I'm in the Guide, I can punch in the channel numbers and they come up quickly without an issue.

6. Oct 2, 2009 #6 of 41
    billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I am beginning to have the same problem. Generally it's the middle number of three digits that the remote misses. If I want to change to 362 the receiver tries to change to 32. No problems, at least yet, in changing to single-digit channels.

Don't think it's a battery problem as it occurs on both our remotes (we have dueling remotes, his and hers!)

I wanted to pause the CBS news Wednesday night but the pause button wouldn't work, on either of our remotes. Couldn't change channels either. The ALL-Off button did work and when I turned the sets back on both remotes worked properly.

7. Oct 2, 2009 #7 of 41
    johnp37

johnp37 Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Central NJ
    Single digit channel numbers are also not immune from this problem. Hit button 7 and most times 77 comes up. And no, I don't keep the button down. Always a really quick press/tap.

8. Oct 2, 2009 #8 of 41
    MarkEHansen

MarkEHansen AllStar

Sep 4, 2008
    This problem comes and goes on my HR23-700. I'm using a universal remote (URC MX-850) - I've never used the D* remote that came with the unit.

I've found that it seems to be worse when I first start watching TV (even though I never place the box in stand-by).

Some have said that rebooting the machine will improve things for a while. I've done that once or twice so far, and it did seem to provide some relief.

There was some talk that the new 0x34c update was going to improve performance, so many hoped it would solve this problem as well, but so far, I've not noticed any improvement.

Good luck.

9. Oct 2, 2009 #9 of 41
    stlmike

stlmike Legend

Aug 24, 2007
    Yep. Same problem here. I notice it more with my HR20 in RF mode. My HR20 and HR22 in IR mode, controlled through my Harmony 660, doesn't seem to be as bad.

10. cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007
    This is caused by the flaky and problematic remote processing done by the DVR. The problem has been around for many many months now and unfortunately the development team continues to fail to address and fix this problem.

It's really pretty disgraceful that such a problem with the most basic functionality that one would expect to work on a DVR has gone this long without being fixed. If the expertise to fix it does not exist within the current software team, outside expertise must be brought in to address the problem. It's really approaching a level of incompetence on management's part at this point. There is no way that a problem with such a basic function that is as important as providing consistently reliable remote control response should go so long without being fixed.

11. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Same issue here with an HR22 in IR. It comes and goes and is rather annoying. Happens with both Harmony and D* remote. I use QuickTune and favorites in my Harmony, to avoid having to manually enter the channel #.

12. mjbvideo

mjbvideo AllStar

Jan 15, 2006
    Yup, same old story with all my HR2x's. So now we have to put up with 4 to 6 more months of promises that they are aware of the problem and to just trust them to fix the issue.....yada, yada, yada......they are a great bunch of engineers......blah, blah, blah, etc. So what we end up are more features - which I admit are nice (double play) but the most frequently used basic remote functions (guide, changing channels, FF, etc) continue to be extremely sluggish. On top of that, we have the problems of DirecTV commercials that are +30db louder than other audio. I'm sorry folks, this is plain and simply unacceptable. I refuse to be a lemming like some people around here. I'm tired of them saying that their yada, yada, blah, blah works fine and that I should go out and tighten all my connections, call service, ...... I've done all that. The one and only reason I'm still with this outfit is TIVO. I'll trust TIVO to have a more stable platform for basic operations over these terrible machines.

13. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    The key bounce problem has been around for years...not months. DirecTV has been made aware of it and has announced fixes in patch notes. After this long I doubt it will ever be fixed although it did get better for a bit before getting worse again this year.

Some of the HR2x models have worse problems than others.

Like several other HR2x "features" you just learn to live with it if you want DirecTV.

I've had better luck with our Harmony remotes than the DirecTV originals.

14. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Between this problem and the jump to the end/beginning problem I have just about had enough. It can't be that hard to fix can it? The jump problem suddenly went away about two weeks ago but is back worse than ever now....

15. johnp37

johnp37 Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Central NJ
    I feel your pain, and agree 100%. But as usual, sooner or later the voices of calm, and reason, chime in and tell us be patient, check this,check that, a fix will come eventually. Meanwhile, some old problems persist, and new ones pop up it seems with each new software download or HR model. Is it too much to ask to be provided with hardware that is reliable and trouble free? Is it not strange that the most sought after box is the first generation HR20? I couldn't help noticing over the past month the eagerly anticipated x034c update as if it were mankind's greatest accomplishment since the wheel or sliced bread with it's DP feature. Are you all kidding me? I would gladly give it up for faster functionality. This brings to mind a term used in the movie Swordfish..misdirection. You focus on one thing(DP) while your attention should be on speeding up these machines.

16. buckweet1980

buckweet1980 Cool Member

Nov 6, 2007
    I have the same issues along with the slowness from the recent software update.. I'm to the point of checking out other alternatives..

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Can't blame him for telling the truth, I agree too. John, it troubles me to admit this, but I have absolutely no idea what "key bounce" is. Could you explain it?

Apparently it is too much to ask. Think of all the posts we've seen asking for this. I had thought that the DVR function of my HRs was the reason for the sudden pixies popping up after the last NR. I also thought that the audio dropouts were only on recorded shows. Since I rarely watch live TV, I was surprised last night when we had to babysit our 15 month old, precocious granddaughter. Couldn't watch recorded shows because of her, she just gets into too much stuff to allow us to follow shows. Gave up and watched live TV. Same problems live. Pixies and sound dropouts.

I know it's not anything leading up to the HRs that is causing the problems, my system is rock solid. And I know I didn't have these problems before the NR. When we watch shows recorded before the NR there are no issues at all. I was pretty sure that this NR would be screwed up and it sure is.

I've been saying all along that the 20-700 is the best of the HRs and I've been backing that opinion up by refusing replacements for any HR that fails even tho I belong to the Protection Plan. I'd rather buy a 20-700. I plan to have seven of them in a few months, I have five today and the sixth one is coming Tuesday. Bought it on Craigslist, first time I've gone that route. Don't know if it will work, but it was a lot cheaper than you can get them for on eBay. What I'm doing is not inexpensive. Add everything up and it can exceed the cost of buying a new one from D* for $480. But I'm sick and tired of playing replacement roulette, and I'm willing to spend the money for HRs that actually work if given the correct software.

Now if we can only get the correct software.

Rich

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    A couple weeks ago, I called Dish and asked them how much it would cost to replicate my HR fleet. Almost $3000. Thanked the CSR and told him that was a ridiculous price. The other day I got a voucher for $600 from Dish to put towards that replication. Called them up and thanked them for the offer and was asked what it would take. Told them a $1500 voucher might do the job, thanked the CSR and hung up. Will they send me a voucher for $1500? Would I switch? I dunno. But I'd be tempted to give it a shot.

Rich

19. johnp37

johnp37 Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Central NJ
    Tempting for sure. Let us know if Dish responds.

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Gotta admit the first voucher shocked me. I will let you know if Dish responds. Why would they? Because my D* bill is usually way over $200 a month and those kind of customers are rare, I would think. Give a little now, get it back and more in the long run.

Rich