1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems recording series link for same show on 2 channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by siquepupi, Jan 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siquepupi

siquepupi New Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I am trying to set up a series link for “Family Guy” on both TBS & Toon when I set one it works but when I try to set the other to record, the record option pages act as if it was already added I get statements like “all episodes are set to record” and “all episodes on this channel are scheduled to record”, but when I look at the to do list they are not there & they do not record. I tried different shows (South Park on WB & COM and Lilo & Stitch on Disney 1 & Disney 2) and the same thing happens. I called customer support and they had no clue.

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    This is a recognized issue with the R15. I do not know if it will be part of the next software upgrade or not, but should be.
    -
    Carl

3. siquepupi

siquepupi New Member

Jan 15, 2006
    When I contacted Dtv i was told that the rep went to an R15 and actuallty set this up without a problem. does it work on some & not on others?
    Kenny

4. Malibu13

Malibu13 Lifetime Achiever

Sep 12, 2004
    N.E North...
    siquepupi, Welcome to the forum :welcome_s

This is most certainly an issue with the R15. What the rep actually did, is any body's guess. I can personally verify from my experience with my unit, that i have not been successful in getting this to work either. Now, as to whether this happens on all units, i don't know, but of the posts i have read, that reference this issue, it doesn't work.:nono2:

5. stupid0g

stupid0g AllStar

Nov 24, 2005
    known issue with r15, no set to to rslv, issue was the unit was supposed to be able to detect all programs for the series link regardless of channel, however as we all know it didn't quite work out that way

6. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
    Series Link was designed to act the same as a Season Pass on a TiVo based DVR which only records the episodes from the particular channel. Wishlists for TiVo or Find By for the R15 are for all channels.

7. stupid0g

stupid0g AllStar

Nov 24, 2005
    I might be incorrect, however i beleive they wanted the unit to be able to eventually check all channels a customer would subscribe to for a particular program and be able to record from any channel as long as the program matched.

Lemme check with a few engineers and get back on this when i get some confirmed info.

8. siquepupi

siquepupi New Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I think I have a temporary solution.
    Series Link = Season Pass
    Find By = Wish List

If I Auto Record a "Find by (Keyword-Family Guy)" rather than "Series Link (Title-Family Guy)" It will record from any channel. unfortunately this means that I would need to expand it to "keep all" instead of just 5 in order to keep 5 from each as well as shows which may have both words “family” & “guy” in the description. Of course this would not work for shows such as friends where the word would show up in hundreds of show descriptions.

I think that I will be able to set up one series link & one Autorecord so and record first run episodes from one channel in one folder and all repeats from all channels in another folder.

Ideally I would like to have a "series link" set up for each so that it would only record shows titled “family guy”, but this works for now.

Note: "Recent Finds" puts all exact title matches in Caps & Lower Case lettering & "keyword" matches in ALL CAPS.

Thanks,
    Kenny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.