1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems with choice xtra

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by JcT21, Mar 12, 2012.

1. JcT21

JcT21 Legend

Nov 29, 2004
    seems im having a strange issue with my program package. looks like it all started with the trutv hd being added, or atleast thats when i noticed it.

1. when choice xtra is activated, HD doesnt work, some channels that are in my package are greyed out, although i can view programming on these channels, dvr functionality does not work.

2. refreshing does nothing, reset does nothing, and re-running the setup process does nothing to fix it.

3. when i change my package to any other package, all problems go away and the channels are not greyed out and my HD works normally.

ive spent a lot of time on the phone with directv and no one seems to know what is causing the problem. it has been escalated over a week now with no solution as of today.

the channels that are greyed out vary, but the most common ones are 300, 356, & 362. all the channels i watch are in choice xtra and i have to get the ultimate package for everything to work and still keep the channels i need. i know its only a few dollars difference, but i hate having to pay more just to make my account work like it should with the xtra package.

does anyone know what the deal is with this? anyone heard of this before or experience it? any help is appreciated....

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I was going to say the channels missing might have been removed from the NEW choice extra, and am guessing you had the OLD choice xtra... Problem is, 362 is available in every package, as far as I know, so that blows that theory out.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I was switched this month [not by me] from Total choice plus to Choice xtra "classic", which has these three channels, btw, but also came with a $2 line item for regional sports, which I don't know,watch, want, etc.
    Called to get it removed but "the system" is hosed and I'd have to change my 9 year old package, which isn't what I want.

The price increases have hosed a few of us it looks like, so I've got an email off to ellen.filipiak@directv.com asking for help.

4. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Just as an FYI, about 4 yrs ago, I had someone call DirecTv with my name, and switch me to Premier from Total Choice Plus (grandfathered). I didnt even notice, since I didnt have any of the premiums in my favorites list, until I got the bill.

I called and explained I didnt change the package, didnt know who did and was told the same thing. I said fine, then turn off the account. They transferred me to retention, and I explained what happened, and they switched me back to Total Choice Plus grandfathered, and added a security password to my account. It can be done, they just dont want anyone to know it.

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Because of the timing and the "classic" addition, I'm fairly sure this came from the price increase changes in the system, which is why I've emailed Ellen.

6. JcT21

JcT21 Legend

Nov 29, 2004

yeah all the channels that are greyed out are included in the new xtra package so i dont know whats up with that. its like that on all 3 receivers too. hr24100, h24200 and h24100.

ive been told its everything from the att wireless router, the lnb, to the wiring thats under my floor. but all that dont make sense because the problem goes away with a package change. im gonna try contacting directv again in a few days to see if they have came up with any solutions.

7. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Well, that is BS. If it was the LNB, you would get errors on several channels when watching. What you could do, is disconnect the DECA system from the router, reboot all the boxes, wait until they are all live, reboot them again to flush all the old data out. If that doesnt fix it, its in your account info on D*'s computer, and they will need to delete the account and rebuild it.

Do NOT let them tell you they can not keep you on your previously grandfathered package (if applicable). If they do, ask for retention or email Ellen.

8. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Total Choice Plus customers were converted to Choice Xtra Classic and TCP was removed. The $2 fee is based on where you live and if your package has RSN's in it. You might want to check out the Entertainment package.

You've always been able to get an expired package back if you call within 30 days of the change.

9. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I called in and complained and the $2 charge was credited. I plan to call in EVERY month to complain about that $2 charge since I never watch sports. The Entertainment Package option is out of the question since it doesn't have many of the non-sports channels I watch (like Science). Hopefully, lots of others will also call in and complain about this ridiculous "regional sports" charge which in effect raises the package price FIVE BUCKS a month!

10. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    Sometimes when changing packages or even new account setups, the channel view option is changed, not sure why or how.

but check that channel list is viewing all channels or hide SD duplicates and sometimes you have to switch back and forth a few times, then wait about 5 minutes for everything to take place.

If still not working, reboot, make sure to go back and see if the settings were saved to Hide SD duplicates and then recheck.

It sounds like your are set to hide HD channels and some channels are only in HD therefore are greyed out.

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You got gypped. They gave me $5/month for the next 3 months.
    I emailed Ellen's group and got a call today. I've requested someone look at their system software, because if it can add a line item for $2, it should be able to subtract the channels that are tied to it too, and drop the line item.
    "Other than that", they ain't going to do much. Doesn't matter how long or good a customer, while they're nice, they aren't in the mood to change, nor too receptive when you explain "X" has the same service for xx cheaper and offers more channels that I do watch.

12. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Good point. I'm not through with them over the $2 charge yet. One way or another I'll get my $2 worth-either via a credit or driving their CSR's (and maybe Ellen) crazy. I think it's a miserable way to raise the price of a package $5 a month ($3 package increase and this dubious $2 sports fee). I agree with the flexibility of their system they should be able to enable/disable channels easily that subscribers refuse to pay for instead of just having it magically appear on the bill. Sports fanatics have no problem paying ANYTHING for the programming they worship...

13. Rob77

Rob77 Godfather

Sep 24, 2007
    Has anyone else been able to get Total Choice Plus back. I have been told by Ellen's people that all TCP accounts have been switched to Choice xtra Classic, is this true?

14. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Yes. That is true, and you did not lose any channels except Cloo, which everyone lost unless they upgraded to Ultimate. TCP and Choice Xtra were always the same, channel wise. Think TCP might have been $1 cheaper, cant remember.

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Actually, this isn't the case, which is why "classic" has been added to our newly named package.
    I check a while back from what I knew I got and what Choice Xrta offered, and they didn't match.

16. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    My parents had total choice plus, and I had choice extra, and they did not get any channels I didnt get, as far as I know. I didnt check all the niche sd channels to verify that though. What channels did Total Choice Plus offer that wasnt in Choice Extra? Ultimate only added some music channels and a couple movie channels.

Now, if you are talking about the channels listed on DirecTv's website in the side by side comparison, I agree. It showed Golf wasnt available in Choice Extra, and there were a couple others as well, but in fact, I got all those channels "missing" from the DirecTv webpage list.

I really think its still screwed up. They really should have someone go channel by channel and write down what comes in, and fix those lists.

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Since I have one package, I can't tell more than what's on the web for other packages.
    The person who called me yesterday from Ellen's group was also pointing out the channel differences, and why this stupid $2 line item was there for all customers in CA, that have similar packages. Should I change to the newer package, this line item wouldn't be there, but so wouldn't other channels, which I think some were some ESPNs, IIRC from a neighbor's package.

18. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    TCP and Choice Xtra were identicle. TC and Choice however are not and that's why TC still exists. ESPN is still in entertainment but your RSN's aren't.

19. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I agree they kind of snuck that new RSN fee in, but I see their rationale. Some markets get more RSN's included in their package, so they should pay more. Maybe they should offer the RSN's as an option in those markets. So if you don't want the RSN's, you get a $3 credit and have no RSN's (Although, I get a lot of channels I could do without and wouldn't mind getting a credit to drop them).

And yes sports fanatics are passionate about sports programming, but not all of us will pay "ANYTHING for the programming they worship". Some of us have to weigh the cost/benefit of that content. I could say the same thing about movies buffs, but I don't. There are some that subscribe to all the premium movie channels and watch paid VOD, which I may think is a waste of money. But my opinion doesn't matter when it comes to what content they feel is worth the money.

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    And in doing this, the $4.50/month programing package increase for this year, really became a $7.50/month increase, unless I change my 9 year old package.

Local RSN has a $2 charge because of Comcrap.

The additional HD + DVR + MRV, as separate line items are another $1/month over the current package fee for all three.

DirecTV seriously needs to rethink their system [billing] program.

When pointing this out to a member of Ellen's group, her reply was the package price is already below the current package pricing.
    Well No Sh!t, and I've been with you for 9 years this month, so shouldn't there be some "perk"?