Problems with Pittsburgh HD locals?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by dak0ta11, Mar 23, 2009.

1. dak0ta11

dak0ta11 Cool Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Is anybody else having problems? The message on the screen states that they know that there is a problem and not to call, but it's been like this for almost a week. I can get the non-hd local channels just fine. It's just the HD locals. All of my other HD channels come in just fine.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. SE_Sooner

SE_Sooner AllStar

Aug 12, 2008
    Brian,

I had the same problem with the Tulsa HD locals. Tune to one of the HD locals and try this: press menu, then 6, then 1, then 1. This will tell you what signal strength you have for your HD local channel. If it's not more than 10 or so the channel will not come in.

Since the spot beam for the local HD channels are aimed directly at the center of the market, in most cases, the further you are from the center the lower the signal will be. By realigning your dish (tweaking it) on this channel you'll probably solve the issue. It solved mine.

Good luck.

3. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    The message you describe may be for those outside the spot beam. Dish is moving many of the HD locals on 129 to spots and you may be on the fringe or just outside the beam, check your signal strength. A slight reaim may get them back.

4. dak0ta11

dak0ta11 Cool Member

Mar 12, 2007
    I checked the strength at it's coming in at 59, so I don't think the strength is a problem. I then checked another local channel, Fox 53, and when the meter first started up, I received a "Wrong Sat - Echostart 110 West" error. I changed transponders up and then back down and it showed 129 liked it should.
    Is there an updated spot map so I can rule that out? I am not in the Pittsburgh DMA, but that never mattered before because I was covered by the spotbeam.

Thanks,
    Brian

5. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Spot beam was changed last Wednesday. If you are too far out from Pittsburgh, you are now outside of the beam.

6. dak0ta11

dak0ta11 Cool Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Ok, I found an updated Ciel II spotbeam map and it appears that I am in the range (TP10), so that shouldn't be the problem. Here is the link to the map:
    http://jameslong.name/e129s.html
    I'm near Canton, OH, so I'm well within the range.
    Could it be that the new Ciel II sat will not work with my dish? I'm reaching here. :) Are there any other channels besides the locals that are on the new sat?
    garys, are you in the Pittsburgh DMA? If so, can you confirm that the Pittsburgh HD locals work?

Thanks,
    Brian

7. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    You may want to run a check switch and also check your signal strength for the transponder in question and report back.

Note: No, I am not in Pittsburgh dma (other side of the state) and cannot check for you. Sorry.

8. dak0ta11

dak0ta11 Cool Member

Mar 12, 2007
    I've tried the following:

Unplugged the DVR and switch for a couple of minutes.
    Ran the check switch.
    I tuned to the channels in question, then checked the signal strentgh. Comes in at 58-61 for all of the channels.

I'm really stumped on this one.

Hopefully somebody within the Pittsburgh DMA can check for me.

Thanks,
    Brian

9. PghGuy

PghGuy AllStar

Oct 13, 2006
    Have to say I live within 10 miles of Pittsburgh (northeast) and I have not had any of the problems you are describing (with dish locals or OTA)

10. dak0ta11

dak0ta11 Cool Member

Mar 12, 2007
    PghGuy, do you have HD locals as well on Dish or just the SD feeds?

Thanks,
    Brian

11. PghGuy

PghGuy AllStar

Oct 13, 2006
    I do have HD locals on dish and they have been working fine for me.

12. dak0ta11

dak0ta11 Cool Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Ok, cool. Thanks for checking. The spotbeam maps on the link I provided must not be accurate then. :(