1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Program Guide Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by nmetro, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Sep 3, 2012 #1 of 12
    nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    I just moved from DISH to DirecTV yesterday. So, please forgive me if this question has been asked before.

On DISH, one could set the program guide to show three hours at a time. On the DirecTV web site; it also shows the program guide to show three hours at a time.

Is there a way to set up an HD receivers (Home Media Center 5 tuner HD DVR) and non-DVR HD receiver to show three hours or is 1 1/2 hours the best one can get?

I did try looking at the online manuals and they did not offer any suggestions. And, I went through the various set up menus and did not see anything that would indicate the time span could be changed.

Other than this question, I am very pleased with the video and sound quality of DirecTV. Both SD and HD look great. The install went perfectly and the installer redid some of DISH's wiring in the process. I especially like the whole home network set up. Of course, the current rebate deal certainly was an incentive to move after 14 years with DISH.

2. Sep 3, 2012 #2 of 12
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Welcome to DirecTV.
    Sorry, but there are no adjustments that can be made to the time frame or text size or colors of the Guide.

3. Sep 3, 2012 #3 of 12
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    if it interest you, you can highlight a channel on the guide and press the INFO button. this will give you a couple of hours worth of info on that particular channel

4. Sep 3, 2012 #4 of 12
    nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    Thank you both for your quick responses. That is what I thought, but it never hurts to ask.

5. Sep 3, 2012 #5 of 12
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    if your take your time to enjoy and explore your new DirecTV service instead of comparing it to Dish, yo will have a better time watching TV.

6. Sep 3, 2012 #6 of 12
    ChuckZ

ChuckZ Mentor

Aug 17, 2009
    Another feature that DTV has (I've never had Dish so I don't know if they have it) in the guide, if you move the cursor all the way left to highlight the channel name, then hit the "info" key, it will show you all of the up coming programs on that channel. You just have to use the channel down key to advance it. Another way is as mentioned, highlight the particular channel and you can advance it 12 hours at a time by hitting the "green" key....I don't find it as handy as the first one I mentioned. The 12 hour one does come in handy when you know the show you're looking for is many days ahead.

ChuckZ
    Harvest, AL

7. Sep 3, 2012 #7 of 12
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    While the guide is on the screen, press the yellow button and choose jump to date an time.
    I use that quite often also.

8. Sep 3, 2012 #8 of 12
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    this was mentioned on post #3:confused:

9. Sep 5, 2012 #9 of 12
    ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Wow! DISH lets you view THREE hours of guide data onscreen at the same time? That's pretty nice.

Old Legacy DirecTV receivers used to let you view 2 hours of guide data onscreen at the same time. Some receivers (like my legacy Hughes which I still have active on my account) also let you view TWELVE channels at the same time too!

But, sadly, DirecTV decided different color schemes and options were too "complex" for their level of users so there are almost no display options available on current DirecTV receivers. It reminds me of Henry Ford and the model T: "you can have any color you like as long as it's black"

10. JGinLA

JGinLA New Member

Aug 10, 2012
    I liked Chuck's explanation.

11. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Hall Of Fame

Nov 8, 2006
    Delray...
    I have noticed with the green advance and red back buttons for 12 hour jumps, you can't hold down the button and then let it continue to skip, you have to press it every 12 hour increment.

Does anyone else miss being able to let it auto skip?

12. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The iPad app also allows you to adjust the number of hours... Should you have an iPad.