1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

programming a remote

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ken100, Feb 13, 2013.

1. ken100

ken100 AllStar

Feb 1, 2013
    My daughter just bought a Proscan tv for her room that has a client in it. I could not find the model # in the directv system so tried to program it without the model # and could not do it. I hav my other 2 tv's programmed (phillips, samsung) what up? Some trick I'm missing?

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It's possible the directv remote doesn't have a code for it. In the distant past Proscan used to share codes with RCA.... you may try those.

3. GregLee

GregLee Hall Of Fame

Dec 28, 2005
  4. ken100

ken100 AllStar

Feb 1, 2013
    nope and no....will have to call tech support and have them help me.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Is the remote a model number with an "X" after the numbers ?
    If it is an RC65X or RC65RX it will have the newest codes. It is also possible for the receiver to have a newer code and put it in those remotes. None of the older remotes are capable of that action.

6. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    When testing codes, don't use the TV ON & OFF keys to determine if the code works or not, test ALL keys. Many top brands and models of tv don't have working commands on these two keys.

You could do a codesearch by volume, with tv on, volume up but muted:

1. tv
    2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
    3. enter 9 9 1, wait two blinks
    4. enter 1
    5. press and release VOL UP
    6. point the remote at the tv and keep pressing and releasing the CH UP key, if and when the volume changes
    7. press select to lock in code

Remember there are over 300 brands of tv, many having more then one code, so give it time.