Programming Changes Coming in May

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Rob37, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Just received the on screen mail from DIRECTV that Programming Changes are coming May 14, 2019. No other information was given.

APB101 likes this.
  2. msglsmo

msglsmo Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Kansas City, MO
  3. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    APB101 likes this.
  4. Clemsole

Clemsole Godfather

Sep 8, 2005
    Washington...
    They added more garbage channels

5. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Just because YOU don't want to watch something doesn't make it garbage.

The only channel being added is CNN International, something a lot of people have been asking for after the demise of CNNfn over a decade ago and DirecTV and many other providers opted to drop the channel entirely instead of picking up CNN International 24/7.

As for the channels being added to more packages that are "new" to people who don't already subscribe to their current packages:
    Revolt simulcasts one of the most popular morning shows in the country
    Boomerang airs a lot of classic WB and Hannah-Barbara animation and older Cartoon Network shows

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    BigRedFan likes this.
  6. GordonGekko

GordonGekko Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Does anybody know what channel number CNN International will be located at?

7. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Not yet, if I were to guess, either 201 or 343, or possibly 203 or 358 if they move LOOK or CASH to another nearby channel number.

Although they might want to avoid putting it near CNN and HLN to prevent potential complaints/lawsuits about them playing favorites from competitors like BBC World, MSNBC, Fox News and OAN. (In OAN's case, they are carried because of the outcome of a previous lawsuit) With CNN and HLN they at least have the grandfathered placement excuse, but that goes out the window if they bring their sister station that they now own into the range.

8. scott0702

scott0702 Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wonder if CNN International will be in Preferred Xtra. AT&T didn't list that package on the channel updates page

9. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I have often wondered why they don't at least mirror CNN and HLN into the news channels sections if they are going to keep the ridiculous 202 and 204 placements. I guess if they were mirrored and had two placements in the lineup, the other channels would claim Directv was playing favorites with "their" channels.

10. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    It's grandfathered going back to even before the reshuffles in the 90s when they doubled the lineup with the additional 101 satellite in 1997 and the massive one for the USSB merger in 1999. CNN had 202, CourtTV had 203, Headline News had 204, CNN/SI later got 205, ESPN had 206, ESPN2 had 208 and eventually moved as ESPNews was added and ESPN Classic moved to the ESPN section after it rebranded from Classic Sports Network, and the 210s was the start of the Entertainment section.

When CNN International was carried it was placed in the Business/Information block because it aired as filler in evenings and weekends when CNNfn was off the air. What's now the "news" block was originally the business/information block with C-SPAN, C-SPAN2, Bloomberg, CNBC, America's Talking (now MSNBC), The Weather Channel, Newsworld International, CNNfn and America's Health Network and was eventually joined by ZDTV, FNC and CBS Eye On People when they launched, and later All News Channel post-USSB merger, and CNBC World. The CNN channels and CourtTV kept their grandfathered placement, with CourtTV/TruTV moving out of the block to the entertainment section shortly after their rebrand.

It would be nice if they were all grouped together, but it would take a bunch of contracts coming into line to allow it, and with them now owning CNN, they have even less of a reason to want to give up their grandfathered spot at the start of the lineup.

BigRedFan likes this.
  11. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Is HLN even needed anymore? They seem to have turned into the Forensic Files channel.

compnurd and BigRedFan like this.
  12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I can't imaging the income from CASH being enough not to have the channel moved to clear 203 for CNN International ... but there is a question of where would CNNI get the most viewership. It may be more attractive to the people watching the other news channels such as BBC World News. And it would give CNN two positions on the lineup - one at 202/204 and the other with the other news channels (even without the same channel being at both locations).

Headline News still has news from 6am to 2pm weekdays. The Noon to 3pm block seems to fit in with the afternoon talk show style programming - but is still news based. I would not mind seeing it repeat some CNN programming.

13. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Since AT&T owns CNN now they might not want to put it on 203, to avoid accusations of favoritism giving "prime placement" for a second CNN network shortly after the acquisition.

Do channels PAY for that prime placement, i.e. was CNN paying Directv to be on 202, or did Directv just put it there because it was a popular channel at the time?

14. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    At that time it was the only News Channel

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I believe AT&T is less worried about favoritism than anyone on this site. :)

CNN and HN were the news channels back in 1994. CSPAN, Bloomberg and CNBC were located higher in the lineup (242,245,246). The All News Network was at 963 (USSB).
    CNN International was added to DIRECTV in January of 1995 (channel 252). It became part time with CNN's Financial News in January 1996.

As mentioned above, CNN International could go next to the existing CNNs or up in the higher range where it would be seen near the other news channels.

BTW: DIRECTV launched in June 1994 and by the end of 1999 only four non-PPV channels were on the same channel numbers as they were on June 1994. Today only three of the original June 1994 channels remain on their original channel numbers. Two of them are CNN channels. "Favorites" for 25 years. :D

BigRedFan likes this.
  16. APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    For the hell of it, I will guess CNN International will be assigned to ch. 203.

I will mention that I have been a subscriber since March 1998. The timing was very close in which USSB, which had its programming in the 900s, had sold its programming to DirecTV. That programming included the premium-movie programmers plus Viacom programmers like Comedy Central and TV Land. The DirecTV basic-cable programmers were in the 200s with sports—national and regional—in the 300s.

CNN has always been on ch. 202, and Headline News on ch. 204. But, the restructuring occurred July 20, 1999, if I have that date correct, in which most of the current channel mapping was then-new.

I have always figured CNN and ESPN, on chs. 202 and 206, wanted to be up in front on the channel mapping—and that would be why you get breaks with, say Fox Sports 1 on ch. 219 and Fox Sports 2 on ch. 618 (for different reasons), and then the CNNs in the early-200s and CNBC and MSNBC and Fox Business Network and Fox News Channel between chs. 355 to 360.

Interesting.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    BigRedFan likes this.
  17. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    What are the odds of DirecTV picking up CBS News by any chance?

18. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Slim to none. CBSN isn't distributed as a traditional cable/sat channel. It's OTT only with some OTT providers like Fubo, Hulu and Pluto passing that stream along. It also streams online for free, which gives cable/sat providers even less of a reason to carry it unless they get something in return.

As for the channel numbers, I don't have 100% confirmation yet, but I'm now leaning more towards 343 as being the number. Today Zap2it/Gracenote finally removed the defunct VALURF that they were still listing as channel 343 on their DirecTV lineups, and since DirecTV is one of their clients, they don't make any changes to their lineups unless someone at DirecTV contacts them about it, which they would if some other channel is taking that number a month from now.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    BigRedFan and APB101 like this.
  19. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    I could see DirecTV picking it up come next time their negotiations with CBS comes up. Heck I could see CBS throwing it in for cheap (or free) just to help make the channel more available and get more eye balls watching it. I mean what better way to drive up demand for a channel, right?

20. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    They and multiple other providers have had negotiations with CBS since it launched, none of them have resulted in CBSN being added to a cable or satellite lineup.