1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protect RG6 Cable from the Sun?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Weaselboy, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Weaselboy

Weaselboy New Member

Aug 10, 2013
    I just got DirecTV installed last week (HR44) and the installer did a nice job. He mounted the dish on a pod with cinder blocks toward the back of my flat garage roof so it is barely visible from any angle. There is about 30 feet of RG6 now running along the inside of the stucco ridge that conceals the flat roof. This section of cable is fully exposed to the south and the hot desert sun just beats on it all day.

My concern is will the hot sun degrade the cable sheathing over time and necessitate frequent cable replacement?

Does anybody have any experience with this issue or suggestions?

If I had known ahead of time this would be the install spot, I would have run some metal conduit along the inside of the roof lip to protect the cable, but now the cable is nailed into the stucco with black plastic clips. If the best long term solution is to just pull out the clips and put in conduit and feed the cable through, I can do that. I guess I am wondering if I should even be concerned about this?

If I do need to cover the cable, is there a better solution than metal conduit?

Appreciate any comments.

2. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Well,

in the midwest here, haven't seen too much sun damage. Dogs, accidents, weed eaters, falling limbs, etc. are the major problem. Have one customer that has twice had a trash fire burn his yard off and both times it melted the coax on the satellite pole.

I have already seen a few rusty D* KaKu dishes, somebody must have changed the paint recipe since the old 101s, most of which aren't rusty except for the bolts.

Burying the wrong wire around here can lead to LOS pretty quick. Seen lightning turn coax inside out couple of times.

Hopefully you'll upgrade services often enough aging coax won't be an issue. Most installers if they see a problem will take care of it.

3. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    you do not need to worry about the cable. it is designed to be in all kinds of weather for long periods of time.

if you feel you REALLY need to protect it, put it in PVC pipe instead of metal. a single RG6 will fit in a 1/2 in pipe.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If it is approved cable, it is UV resistant and will say so on the jacket.

5. Weaselboy

Weaselboy New Member

Aug 10, 2013
    It has the DirecTV approved logo on the cable and the UV marking.

So you are both saying it will last for years and just don't sweat it? I was concerned having to mess around with new cable every couple years.

6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    My dish and cable were installed on our new home three years ago and are exposed to direct sunlight all day long. You needn't worry.

7. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    For what it is worth one of the cables still in use here goes back to the days of the single 18" Dish and DirecTV and USSB for premiums. Many years ago.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Satellite_Broadcasting
    Since then the cable is still good. It was installed by a local installer that I paid, No free installs then.

You should be good to go.
    TBoneit

8. DavidLyle

DavidLyle Cool Member

Jul 5, 2005
    I'm not sure exactly where you are (you said hot desert sun so I will assume the SW somewhere), but here in Phoenix, I have noticed some wear on RG6 cables that are exposed to the sun. I have a dish on type of my RV and about a year ago (after 3 years of summer sun hitting the cables) I noticed some slight cracking. I used some white roof-type coating to paint the wires and that seems to have helped.

9. Weaselboy

Weaselboy New Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Thanks for the advice everybody. I'll just leave it be for now and keep an eye on it.

David >> Yep... same climate you have. Thanks

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    It wasn't the paint. the dishes were made of fiber glass back then.

11. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Perhaps you were not using DirecTV approved RG6 which as has been mentioned has a "special" coating for UV protection. painting cables sometimes makes it worst. and black cable tends to last longer in the sun then white cable with the same UV protection

12. Weaselboy

Weaselboy New Member

Aug 10, 2013
    My installer mentioned this, so I went with the black cable.